Not sure what to do after this semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted508066

Hi guys,

I took a hit this semester to a gpa that was already on the low side, and I've been pretty depressed ever since I got out of finals. I was hoping to get a lot of mcat studying and progress with my smp application done, but I've been feeling so hopeless about my situation, I can't get anything done.

It's my senior year and my cumulative GPA is a 3.338 after this semester. In the last three semesters, I've had all A's, but this semester I got all B's and one A-. Now by the time I graduate, I doubt I'll be able to break a 3.4 even if I get all A's.

I got a late start to the whole pre-med process because I was an undecided science major for my first two years of undergrad. I had a strong upward trend until this semester. My med school attack plan has always been to apply to an smp in the spring and then apply for the 2014-2015 med school cycle. Now I'm wondering if I should just give up. I was looking at my state's med school requirements, and they have a 3.4 undergrad cutoff. I just keep thinking no matter how hard I try from here on out, I'll just be weeded out.

My EC's are average-good, I'll be taking my MCAT at the end of January, and I'm white, if that matters.

My pre-req's so far:
Biology I: B+
Biology II B/ B lab
Chem I: C/ B- lab
Chem II: C/ B- lab
Physics I: A
Physics II: A-
O Chem I: B-/ A- lab
O Chem II: spring

Members don't see this ad.

You're not out of the running for MD and you're in a fairly good range for DO assuming you kill the MCAT.

And yes it matters that you're white. It's a disadvantage unfortunately. It's only fair that being born a certain color doesn't disadvantage you so long as you're not white. :rolleyes:

Giving up is an option, but realize that it'll be your choice. Your dream is not dead so long as you're still willing to fight for it. Good luck whatever you choose!

(I didn't see a question asked, but I assumed you wanted reassurance)

Thanks, Nick Fury. I'm just really bummed. I was working so hard for good grades in upper level science classes and I just dropped the ball this semester. I really want to go to med school, more than anything in the world right now. I just can't tell if I've passed the point between it being an impossible dream or not. There's just so much about this process I don't understand, and I'm trying to make up for lost time from my first two undergrad years. It would be a lot easier if I had some sort of pre-med advisor/mentor, or hell, even a friend who is doing this, but I don't and that's what's making this a very challenging, frustrating ordeal.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow.. your situation is almost identical to mine. I'm a senior and have a slightly higher gpa in the same range and plan on taking MCAT in spring for SMP in the fall. However, my grades have a pretty stable, not upward trend.. just always been mediocre :( I also didn't start premed until junior year and kept switching between a couple of science majors until then. I also wish I had people going through the same thing/a helpful premed adviser but I go to a super large and competitive school. I was just literally going to post this after bombing my finals today too haha

I think we just have to keep going... I keep questioning my science ability because I study and work so hard yet I never get the results. However, I think when you have a bad start, you don't learn the fundamentals well and it affects performance in upperlevel courses. It's so hard to recover but what's past is past... hopefully med schools will take our performance in SMP into account more :/ I think about giving up all the time too but for some reason, I always go back to it after considering other options. Good to know I'm not alone!

You're not out of the running for MD and you're in a fairly good range for DO assuming you kill the MCAT.

And yes it matters that you're white. It's a disadvantage unfortunately. It's only fair that being born a certain color doesn't disadvantage you so long as you're not white. :rolleyes:

Giving up is an option, but realize that it'll be your choice. Your dream is not dead so long as you're still willing to fight for it. Good luck whatever you choose!

(I didn't see a question asked, but I assumed you wanted reassurance)

Lol you're asking to get into an affirmative action debate....