Not sure what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Young741

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my score back from my Jan 22nd exam.

Physical Science: 128 (87%)
CARS: 123 (33%)
Biological Science: 126 (67%)
Psychology/Sociology: 128 (86%)
Total: 505 (68%)

Shocked about my CARS score. On average, I've been getting 125~126 on my practice tests for this section. I've completely depleted TBR, TPR, EK, and AAMC CARS pack 1 and 2 - a subjective lineup of the best verbal practice passages for the MCAT - thinking that all I need was lots and lots of practice. I need to retake this test soon if I want to make it this cycle, but I haven't registered for a test date as of yet. I want to make SURE I can do well this time on this section.

I'm looking through many different ways to approach CARS - most notably Testing Solution's 30 Day Guide. But there are just so many people/testing corporations flaunting the efficacy of their CARS solving methods with bright, bold and colorful texts and banners that they are starting to look like some 3rd-rate commercial that you normally ignore on television (and losing their credibility through the process).

Please help! I don't know what to do. I want to do better, but I don't know if I can consistently do better by the time I take the MCAT before the cycle begins (early May?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got my score back from my Jan 22nd exam.

Physical Science: 128 (87%)
CARS: 123 (33%)
Biological Science: 126 (67%)
Psychology/Sociology: 128 (86%)
Total: 505 (68%)

Shocked about my CARS score. On average, I've been getting 125~126 on my practice tests for this section. I've completely depleted TBR, TPR, EK, and AAMC CARS pack 1 and 2 - a subjective lineup of the best verbal practice passages for the MCAT - thinking that all I need was lots and lots of practice. I need to retake this test soon if I want to make it this cycle, but I haven't registered for a test date as of yet. I want to make SURE I can do well this time on this section.

I'm looking through many different ways to approach CARS - most notably Testing Solution's 30 Day Guide. But there are just so many people/testing corporations flaunting the efficacy of their CARS solving methods with bright, bold and colorful texts and banners that they are starting to look like some 3rd-rate commercial that you normally ignore on television (and losing their credibility through the process).

Please help! I don't know what to do. I want to do better, but I don't know if I can consistently do better by the time I take the MCAT before the cycle begins (early May?)
Hello
Something important to keep in mind. Don't rush it. If you have a bad test and then rush into another test and don't demonstrate strong improvement you will look immature. Your score suggests that you were inadequately prepared. It does depend on the state of your application but 505 is low so the best thing to do is try and talk with some medical school admission board members. Ask them if your entire application is strong enough with your MCAT. My suggestion is to plan on applying to the new cycle and get some more experience and take three or so months to crush the MCAT.