Not taking biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pritomd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I am currently in a biomedical engineering program. Now they are keen to premeds, and have worked in chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics reqs (physics and chem reqs were already in from the regular engineering degree). However, there is no biology. They claim that BIOM 201 and 202, which are physiology 1 and 2, will suffice. Also, the lab class we have will substitute for bio labs..

I want to know if anyone who is in a biomed program has had this sort of situation? I have heard from a prevet friend in biomed with me that she has to stay a whole extra year b/c ohio state vet school wont accept biomed class+lab in liue(sp) of biology 1/2 + labs.

I was just wondering what I should do. I think I'll be doing research at school this summer so I figure I might be able to take an extra class or two..plus it may boost my sGpa?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone

I am currently in a biomedical engineering program. Now they are keen to premeds, and have worked in chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics reqs (physics and chem reqs were already in from the regular engineering degree). However, there is no biology. They claim that BIOM 201 and 202, which are physiology 1 and 2, will suffice. Also, the lab class we have will substitute for bio labs..

I want to know if anyone who is in a biomed program has had this sort of situation? I have heard from a prevet friend in biomed with me that she has to stay a whole extra year b/c ohio state vet school wont accept biomed class+lab in liue(sp) of biology 1/2 + labs.

I was just wondering what I should do. I think I'll be doing research at school this summer so I figure I might be able to take an extra class or two..plus it may boost my sGpa?

Call or email all the schools you are interested in.

I agree with the post above. I haven't taken the full general biology sequence because I transferred and the biology courses at my new university aren't the same. A lot of schools will substitute genetics, microbiology, cell biology, immunology, histology, biochemistry, etc for your biology credit. The main thing to focus on is that you have at least 1 year of lab. Definitely call or e-mail the schools your interested in. I mass e-mailed about 10 schools and got a quick straightforward response.

Good luck!

I'm doing a bio-med degree and as far as I know none of our courses are accepted as substitutes for biology (including molecular/cell engineering, physiology, bio-mechanics, etc). I know it sucks but most bio-eng/bio-med students end up having to stay an extra year to do the bio classes. For example, our school has a premed/non-premed track for bio-med and in the premed track they are forced to take genetics, biochem, cell bio, molecular bio, and a year of upper division bio labs in place of some of the bio-med design labs.