Not taking many credit hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kglmp83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How badly will it effect my chances if I don't take many hours a semester?

There was a semester or two where I only took one course.
Last semester I took 14 hours.
Also, I have taken almost all the courses needed to get my degree. In addition, the remaining courses that I do need to take are either only offered for one of the semesters or there are time conflicts (time overlap). So this pretty much limits the number of courses that I can take per semester. I only have about 7 more classes to take to graduate.
Next semseter I will most likely have 11 credit hours and fall 2009 could be the same or less.

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed at SCO they asked me about my low credit hour semesters. I don't know why it's hard for colleges to understand that we can't dedicate our lives to school and that most of us have jobs that won't allow us to take 15 to 18 credits a semester. If you have a good explanation, they will probably overlook it though.

When I interviewed at SCO they asked me about my low credit hour semesters. I don't know why it's hard for colleges to understand that we can't dedicate our lives to school and that most of us have jobs that won't allow us to take 15 to 18 credits a semester. If you have a good explanation, they will probably overlook it though.

If you can't dedicate your life to school for 3-4 years of undergrad, maybe you need to reasses things. I work 43 hours at 2 jobs and still have time for school (17 hrs). I believe schools like to see that you can juggle things (job and school) because in opto school you'll be taking 25+ hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea you just need a good reason why you only took 1 class. opt schools wanna see you can handle a big workload so you'll just have to justify your decision, if you have a reason shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the replies.
I was hoping to take 14+ credit hours my last few semesters of undergraduate but I have been unfortunate that the classes I need to take overlaped or was not offered that semester, which prevented me from taking 14+ credit hours.

My schedule if no schedule conflict occurs should look like this:

Spring 2009:
- physical chemistry - 4hr
- analytical chemistry - 4hr
- optics - 3hr

Fall 2009:
- organic chemistry lab - 3hr
- biochemistry - 4 hr
- inorganic chemistry - 4 hr
- research project - 2-4 hr

Spring 2010:
- seminar course - no credit
- any non-required course(s) I wasn't able to take in other semesters due to class time overlap or was not offered (histology, etc.).

May: graduate

Last edited:
what's your major?

you shouldn't be taking JUST your pre req courses each semester... having only 2 or 3 pre req's doesn't stop you from taking more than 15 hours. take bio electives to fill up your schedule.

unless you have a job or some other excuse, taking a light course load will only hurt you (your chance at getting in as well as not exploding once opt school starts and you have a bajilion hours to take).