not too optimistic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NodForce

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not very happy about how I did this past semester. But it is now time for me to apply in june. I am going to a university in Louisiana. I have a 3.55 going into the semester and if i get all A's i can get a 3.63. I have about 100 volunteering/shadowing hours at a local hospital. I had a 3.76 last semester. I just got through the worst semester of my life. In all honesty, do I even have a chance at any school? I know there are 2 schools in my state that only take in state. About how many schools should i apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

3.55 is not bad at all. Like you said you can still raise it to a 3.6 with hard work. It is always smart to apply to more schools but I think you have a good chance with your GPA.

How is your MCAT score?

well where was the problem last semester and what makes you think that you will be able to get straight A's this semester?

What will you be doing differently? Hope you dont mind me asking, Ive just been there before and its much easier said than done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking the mcat in april, but i took one practice test blind with a 24....I did bad in basically everything last semester, I had to work 2 jobs, do research, volenteer at the hospital, and take 18 hours. not trying to make an excuse, but thats the reason why. I made a B in physics, cell bio, both englishes, plant diversity, and a C in organic chem lab and an A in physics and plant lab. I am only taking 15 hours next semester, and I will not have to work any jobs. I am also kind of "shocked" to do better. What could my lowest mcat be? Thanks for the help guys.

If you can get a 28 or 29 on your mcat you'll have a good shot at getting in at either of the LSU schools. Improving your GPA will help you, but a 28 or 29 is above the average for Shreveport and about average for New Orleans. You could get in with a 26 or 27, but you'd definitely have to get all As this semester and be a little lucky.

I don't really know where else you should apply though. I'm not particularly fond of Tulane. It's got tougher admissions standards than the LSU schools but LSU-NO gives at least as good clinical training as Tulane gives, if not better. (For research, on the other hand, Tulane unfortunately has the edge since LSU NO kind of lacks the research facilities). If I were you I'd try to do well in your classes but at this point, a solid MCAT score plus decent interviews should seal the deal for the LSU schools.