Mar 26, 2010
San Diego, CA
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it frowned upon to not work, do research, or take classes during the summer that you are applying to med school?

I was thinking about volunteering part time and then spending the rest of the time working on apps.

startswithb

Future Urologist
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is it frowned upon to not work, do research, or take classes during the summer that you are applying to med school?

I was thinking about volunteering part time and then spending the rest of the time working on apps.
Almost every school's secondary will ask "if you have already earned a bachelors degree, what have you been doing since graduation?"

I don't think "working on apps" would be the best answer, but you could try it.

Mar 25, 2010
Status
Podiatry Student
you should do something, not just hang around, I've spoke with people on the board.

Mar 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Last summer I volunteered at two different places (maybe around 24 hours a week total) and I finished up studying for the MCAT and then worked on apps. I also had plenty of time to relax. I think you'll be fine not working and doing research, as long as you have a relatively strong application. Most schools ask what you are doing the year before medical school, and not just that summer. As long as you'll be taking classes or working for the fall and spring before med school, I think you can relax a little over the summer.

Salt and Lime

Just the tequila talkin'
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2009
Phoenix
Status
Medical Student
I did this, and it worked out fine for me! But, I had a ton of clinical and volunteer experience prior to applying. If you also have a lot, one summer off won't hurt. But if you're a little weak in those areas, I would make an effort to get some more. Maybe a few shadowing experiences?

saqrfaraj

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Almost every school's secondary will ask "if you have already earned a bachelors degree, what have you been doing since graduation?"

I don't think "working on apps" would be the best answer, but you could try it.
This is true, but the traditional applicant applies during the summer between junior and senior year, so this usually doesn't apply.