Note taking in DS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bisonhcky87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Throughout undergrad, I took notes by annotating power points and drawing diagrams/flow charts. The old fashion way.
From what I have heard this method is not sustainable in DS because of the vast amount of material thrown at you. It seems like you have to go digital.
So what methods do you guys/gals use to take notes during lecture? Do you use a laptop or iPad? Notability vs. iAnnotate vs. Goodreader....etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this same question on my blog (post is here). It seems like the consensus is that a laptop is best, but an iPad is a viable option if it's what you're comfortable with.

As for me, I plan on hauling both my iPad and MBP with me and seeing which works best for me. I have a feeling that the best option is going to vary class by class. Some classes, like anatomy and biochem where you will want to circle and draw on figures an iPad with Notability may be best. Other subjects where most of the info is on the powerpoint and a few words here or there are added a laptop may be more suited.

The only thing that seems to be for sure is that pen and paper is NOT the way to go.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been researching online, and it seems like Evernote is a really great program to use.

Lots of folks use OneNote, too... and it is even free for Mac users on the App Store. (This is traditionally a Windows program.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of folks use OneNote, too... and it is even free for Mac users on the App Store. (This is traditionally a Windows program.)

I loved OneNote when I had a PC, if the Mac version is improved to be more similar to the windows version, I would go back to using it in a heart beat!

I'm dualbooting my Mac into Windows, and OneNote is MUCH better in its native Windows form.

It looks like an awesome program. I might use Parallels just so I can use it in class! :)

Probably a little more than half of my class use tablets, many of those are iPads. Most of the computers are Macs but many people still like Microsoft. I use my iPad for every class we have. Any real writing, like papers, I do on my MacBook Pro. I use the GoodNotes iPad app which is the best out there by far. I think it is a cleaner program than notability and the rest. Great handwriting capabilities. I have every note from dental school on that app. Wrote a review of it on my blog.

HPSP Recipient
Class of 2017
http://dentalstudentdds.wordpress.com/

In some classes, taking extra notes is important, but it really depends on the professors teaching. I used to take notes on my ipad using Goodnotes, but since getting a Mac, I use the "notebook layout" on microsoft word. I like how it has tabs on the side, so I can split the notes into different lectures. I can't go back to my ipad now. The split screen ability of a laptop is too nice to pass up. I will say that Goodnotes makes it very easy to transfer all the files from my ipad to my cpu/hard drive.