Notebook for White Coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Grass

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard many of you talking about carrying around a notebook during residency and writing in teaching points each day. To those of you that do this, do you have any recommendations for a strong sturdy notebook that could last a few years in a white coat? I'd like to get something on the nicer side of the spectrum since I will be carrying it around daily.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard many of you talking about carrying around a notebook during residency and writing in teaching points each day. To those of you that do this, do you have any recommendations for a strong sturdy notebook that could last a few years in a white coat? I'd like to get something on the nicer side of the spectrum since I will be carrying it around daily.

Thanks!

This question might be more appropriately addressed to an employee at your local Office Depot.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are certain personality types who will ask for recommendations of every minute detail. These are the same people who, as interns, ask senior residents which type of pen they use and which finger they prefer to use when performing a rectal exam.

LOL! I really hope I'm not that guy...

There are certain personality types who will ask for recommendations of every minute detail. These are the same people who, as interns, ask senior residents which type of pen they use and which finger they prefer to use when performing a rectal exam.

I think "type of pen" is a legitimate question. We do a ton of writing as interns, and it's good to ask the experienced people which one is the most reliable and generates the least amount of hand fatigue.

For me, it's the Pilot G2 Gel Pen. If you haven't tried it, you should...it will change your life. It's main issues are 1) it's expensive, and 2) it runs out of ink fast. Otherwise, it is perfection. I recommend going to the local Sam's Club and buying a big box.

As for the second question, I recommend using the gloved one.

I think "type of pen" is a legitimate question. We do a ton of writing as interns, and it's good to ask the experienced people which one is the most reliable and generates the least amount of hand fatigue.

For me, it's the Pilot G2 Gel Pen. If you haven't tried it, you should...it will change your life. It's main issues are 1) it's expensive, and 2) it runs out of ink fast. Otherwise, it is perfection. I recommend going to the local Sam's Club and buying a big box.

I'm a long time reader but pretty rare poster, but I'll definitely come out of the woodwork to echo that endorsement of the pilot G2. Truly a life-changing pen. The big question is, do you use blue or black ink?

Either way, I'll definitely be buying them in bulk before I start residency in July...

I too was once a proponent of the Pilot G2; my preference was the 5mm rather than the typical 7mm. However, in addition to running out of ink quickly and being expensive, I found that frequently the pen would break before all the ink was used; there is something chincy about the ball mechanism that would get this little wire poking out and then it would get scratchy.... but I digress. You can buy just refills of the ink and that helps a bit with the cost (but don't buy them from China on the internet, they break even faster than the regular pen), but really, I've now moved onto the next level.

If you like the Pilot G2, I would look into the Pilot Precise V5 RT. I find that it is somewhat similar to the G2, but of superior quality.

I too was once a proponent of the Pilot G2; my preference was the 5mm rather than the typical 7mm. However, in addition to running out of ink quickly and being expensive, I found that frequently the pen would break before all the ink was used; there is something chincy about the ball mechanism that would get this little wire poking out and then it would get scratchy.... but I digress. You can buy just refills of the ink and that helps a bit with the cost (but don't buy them from China on the internet, they break even faster than the regular pen), but really, I've now moved onto the next level.

If you like the Pilot G2, I would look into the Pilot Precise V5 RT. I find that it is somewhat similar to the G2, but of superior quality.

Well, well, well...look who joined the dark side. :D

What size do you use? They make the 3" x 5" or a 5" x 8". Just wondering what your preference is and which one fits most comfortably in your white coat pocket.

I'm finishing up 4th year and starting a surgical subspecialty residency in a couple months. I've used the 3x5 which conveniently fits into the front pocket of a med student coat. The only downside is if you're doing a consult and writing lots down, it can easily take up front-back and maybe the front of a second page. So you're going through lots of paper quickly. I recently bought the 5x8 and like having lots of room to write; however, it's substantially bigger/heavier and juts out a bit in a med student coat, probably won't be an issue if at your institution the MDs wear longer coats.

I think the G2 is great, i always use the real bold point and like it because it gets smeared on the paper. Although lately, ive taken to blue pens since it really stands out against the 99% of black ink