Notes/ Taking Bringing Notes During Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ntsystematic

Get off my bacterial lawn
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to bring notes or take notes during your interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I think bringing notes would look unprofessional and reflect badly on yourself.

Why would you want to take notes?

Unless you are the interviewer I would say keep the pen and pad at home.

Unless the interviewer says "jot my e-mail down incase you have any questions," I would have to make fun of someone who takes notes, and refer to them as the T word:

Props%20-%20Bigass%20wrench.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless the interviewer says "jot my e-mail down incase you have any questions," I would have to make fun of someone who takes notes, and refer to them as the T word:

Props%20-%20Bigass%20wrench.jpg
TALL guy holding a wrench? That makes no sense.:confused:

They always give you a folder with a bunch of info on it. If I have to write anything down, like when I can expect to hear back or someone's email, I just write it on my itinerary. No need to bring extra stuff on the interview. But you shouldn't be writing anything down during the actual faculty/student interview.

yeah, so I saw this dude who was interviewing before me walk out with a leather bound folder like he had been taking notes, or had notes, or whatever. I was confused.

I have a leather bound folder, and I have taken notes at interviews before. Also, I write down some potential questions for my interviewers. They don't know what I'm looking at, and it makes things a lot easier.

yeah, so I saw this dude who was interviewing before me walk out with a leather bound folder like he had been taking notes, or had notes, or whatever. I was confused.

Maybe he was taking in some of his publications or his Curriculum Vitae or something to that effect. I don't think that something like that would be inappropriate, but in regards to writing DURING the interview or referring to notes you brought with you DURING the interview: it's probably a bad idea.

See the little blue bar on the top of the screen listing User CP, FAQ etc. Go down that line, you'll see search. You can find lots of threads on this topic:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=44784

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4674843 (not dedicated to it but discusses it)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=80810

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=158653

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=153316

And there's a lot more...

2 things
1. I have a crappy faux-leather thing with paper in it (ten bucks at staples) and a pen, and no i do not take notes with it, that would be a waste of time and very tool-ish. I do write down questions that I come up with (school specific) during the day so that when it gets down to the end of the interview and they say 'do you have any q's' I say yes, flip open my book, remember them instantly, and ask away.

2. My girlfriend interviewed at UCSF, and told me that one of the interviewers actually took notes during the class they sat in on... yes, the lecture. Now that, my friends, is deserving of the t word :eek:

2 things
1. I have a crappy faux-leather thing with paper in it (ten bucks at staples) and a pen, and no i do not take notes with it, that would be a waste of time and very tool-ish. I do write down questions that I come up with (school specific) during the day so that when it gets down to the end of the interview and they say 'do you have any q's' I say yes, flip open my book, remember them instantly, and ask away.

That, my friend, is a good idea. I will definitely have to look into that. Now, I know that it probably doesn't make much of a difference, but is that faux leather black or brown?

2. My girlfriend interviewed at UCSF, and told me that one of the interviewers actually took notes during the class they sat in on... yes, the lecture. Now that, my friends, is deserving of the t word :eek:

I think that this person might even qualify for the g word. I wonder if he/she got accepted.

According to the other threads, opinion seems to be split on whether it is ok to bring notes and take notes... looks like it's up to the individual.

According to the other threads, opinion seems to be split on whether it is ok to bring notes and take notes... looks like it's up to the individual.
Opinion is split on whether or not it's okay to bring notes, but I don't think there's much controversy on whether or not you need to: no.

I took the leather portfolio deal with me on my interview but never opened it or wrote anything down.

I will take it again in case I have any questions, and I will probably bring additional items like a resume and what not.

what about taking notes during the initial 30 minute orientation thing? i took notes because they talked about dates you can expect to hear, etc. is that okay?

what about taking notes during the initial 30 minute orientation thing? i took notes because they talked about dates you can expect to hear, etc. is that okay?

I personally see no issues with taking notes during the orientation. If there is something you want to remember, why not write it down. Nor do I see any issues with having a notebook with potential questions in the interview. Or even jotting down some important points if the interviewer is answering some of your questions. As someone said, it's also nice to have paper and pen if you need to write down the person's contact info.

That, my friend, is a good idea. I will definitely have to look into that. Now, I know that it probably doesn't make much of a difference, but is that faux leather black or brown?...
...I think that this person might even qualify for the g word. I wonder if he/she got accepted.

well, it is black, since i have a dark grey suit :)

and the person at ucsf - I could only speculate... so i will refrain from doing so :D