Nothern Residency Relative Competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Witch Doctor

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this has been asked a million times before, but my husband is being transferred up north and now I'm considering residencies I know NOTHING about... I know some based on reputation and what I've read here so far, but the others NO CLUE. I am just wondering HOW competitive they are. I just want to know it's possible, I'm a slightly above average US MD. If anyone has ANY information on these programs, even if it's just "it was amazing..." or "I would never go there" I would really appreciate it!!

SUNY Buffalo, NYU, New York Pres, Tufts, Cincinnati Childrens, and St. Louis/Wash U...
 
Your list spans a pretty broad geographic range. Perhaps if you could narrow it down a bit, you might get more responses.

As a UMass graduate and current Tufts resident, I can comment on both programs. Both are on the small-ish side, both are very solid programs, and my impression is that neither is highly "competitive" (although, since we don't get detailed information about how the match goes each year, it's hard to be that specific). UMass takes 8 peds residents and 4 med-peds each year. Tufts takes 13 peds residents each year, but that number gets a little fuzzy because we have Pedi Neuro and triple boarders in some years.
 
What are you looking for?

You gave a huge variety of programs in terms of style.

I applied to Tufts; it's small, it's considered mid-tier and is mostly bread & butter. I've heard good things about it being a solid program with happy residents.
I considered Cinci and Wash U -- both are very large tertiary programs with a ton of residents. Cinci in particular has a fantastic nationwide reputation. Wash U has a reputation for competition among residents and being kind of cut-throat, but I didn't go there personally, so I can't say for sure.
 
I know they're all very different in style, for now it's the location that's important... Also, I'm at a small program that I really like, but I also did a sub-i at a large tertiary center that was great. I guess I just wanted to know what people thought of those programs in general, and I'll figure out the style thing when I interview there.

I've always looked at southern programs so I'm very familiar with them, but not so much up north (reputation, competitiveness, resident style) and you're input is perfect! Especially on Tufts, I can't find a lot of info on it... Thank you for giving me a place to start.🙂