Notre Dame Student Freaking Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

domer2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my freshman year as a University of Notre Dame pre-health student. I hope to eventually go to medical school (Johns Hopkins was always the dream), but I just got my Orgo final back and I did absolutely horrible. Right now I'm looking at a C- is Calc A and Gen Chem and a D (most likely) in Orgo. I dont know what to do. I feel like I'm not going to be able to go to medical school and that's that only thing I've ever wanted. I know that Notre Dame is supposed to be a fairly hard school and medical schools will realize this but still; I'm losing all hope. I feel completely incompetent and like I wont get into any medical school because my grades are so horrible.

Does anyone have any advice?
Should I just give up?
Is it even worth it for me to try and continue as a pre-med student?

I feel completely lost and devastated right now, can anyone help?

Members don't see this ad.

Stop taking calculus, gen chem and organic chemistry all in the same semester of your freshman year.

Space that s*** out brah, you've got plenty of time

First, you just finished your freshmen year so relax. Anything you want to do, you still can. It will be harder, but very doable. People have come back from much worse.

Second, you need to examine why you did poorly in your classes. The whole idea of ND being harder doesn't matter and probably isn't true. A D and C shows you had major gaps of knowledge with the content being taught. Were you not studying much? Not studying efficiently? I mean these grades shouldn't be a total shock because I assume you were seeing how you were performing on tests. Did you try to adjust at all during the semester? Did you enjoy the classes at all?

Finally, why do you want to be a Dr? "I've always wanted to" and "Hopkins has always been my dream" are not real reasons. Seems like you might be a little prestige obsessed, becoming and being a Dr. is a grind, a difficult grind that will never end. You have to find joy in the grind.

A little acceptance of the path your on and that its going to be hard, frustrating, amazing, boring all at the same time will do you a world of good. But you definitely have to evaluate why you did poorly in your classes, because you most certainly need to do better if you want to continue.

Also what the above said, can you even take Orgo before youve finished Gen Chem? Theres this whole idea when your early in school to try to hurry up, but you have plenty of time. Its much more important to get great grades than to take everything at once. You won't get any bonus points for constantly taking brutal semesters (with a less GPA) compared to getting a 4.0 with it being a little lighter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome aboard. By the way, my name's Schinoski. Walter J. Schinoski. My people
call me Mister Touchdown. I played a little ball for Notre Dame.

You need to reassess your study habits and take fewer difficult classes at a time.

They won't even entertain the idea that ND is a harder school. It all comes down to the professors. The adcoms don't know your professors so they don't know the difficulty of the course. Space your classes out and start getting straights A's and do some crazy research if you want Hopkins. Just stop freaking out. Take a breath and make a thought out plan. You have plenty of time for damage control with your GPA. Just don't take all those hard classes in one semester. Also, I am a huge ND fan so I am rootin for you!