Quantcast

Nova 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

munbue

Roy Munson
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just checking to see who has definitely decided to go to NOVA in the fall. I applied at the end of november, interviewed last week, and just found out I was accepted today

My interview was february 12th.

:clap: :clap:

ShawnOne

DDS over DMD
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
nooo, stop talking about Nova..my acceptance expired today :(

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ShawnOne
nooo, stop talking about Nova..my acceptance expired today :(

Nova nova nova nova nova nova nova nova nova.....:laugh:

grettlin2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Shawn, did you write to them about your decision?

munbue

Roy Munson
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah what happened? Did you decide to go somewhere else?

ShawnOne

DDS over DMD
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by grettlin2
Shawn, did you write to them about your decision?

No, I had two weeks to send my $500 deposit to hold my spot. That time is now up so my spot is going to be given away.

I'll probably call them tomorrow and confirm i wont be attending.
+pity+

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to Nova Dental family. Start to collect teeth. Questions, feel free to ask.

Andy

munbue

Roy Munson
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Yah-E I think you may have spoken with my interview group while I was there on the 12th. I believe you were about to take a practical involving building a bridge (if in fact it was you??).

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was most likely me! I remember that day when you guys walked through the sim lab. :D

munbue

Roy Munson
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cool, that was you. Anyway, I guess I'll be seeing you in the fall...just recieved my acceptance:clap:

jes1ca

OP Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess there are two Nova threads. I'll be attending Nova.

Jessica
Nova Southeastern School of Dental Medicine
Class of 2008

munbue

Roy Munson
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did either of you interview this month or have you known for a while that you'd be going to NOVA?

jes1ca

OP Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at the end of January. I've know for about four or five days for sure that I was going to Nova. I guess you haven't known long. :) Are you going to try to live in the dorms or off campus? I was thinking I might try to live in the dorms (even though they are further) because I would like to have the opportunity to meet more people in Florida.

Jessica

munbue

Roy Munson
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I'll be living off campus. Living in the dorms was fun and all, but having space is important to me and dorm life doesn't provide much of that. I also have a dog that I'm bringing along and don't think they'd allow him in the dorms :rolleyes:

kidcanada

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I also interviewed on the 12th of Feb and got in. Who might you be? I'm the dude from Canada as you can tell from my username.

munbue

Roy Munson
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im the other guy from canada, but who now lives in Colorado.

Mundi

munbue

Roy Munson
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking online for a place to live in fort lauderdale...they all seem pretty nice for the money, but it's hard to tell whether they really are or not.

Any suggestions on what appartments/townhouses/duplex are good to look at. My price range is anything under $1200 (two or three beds and must welcome my dog).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Nova Class of 2008:

If you are looking for a place to live, then I would strongly recommend an off campus apartment complex instead of living in graduate dorm. I recommend this for the following reasons:

1) Offcampus apartments are just as cheap as dorms, if not CHEAPER.

2) The quality of offcampus apartments are 10X more better than dorms.

3) When we say "offcampus apartment", they're considered "offcampus", but they're literately right across the street from the dental building and the Health Professions Division (HPD) complex. You could walk or bike if you wish. Dorms are further away from the dental building and you MUST either bike or drive.

4) I would say at least 80% of HPD students live in these offcampus apartments. Since there are so many of us live in these offcampus apartments, it's like a pool party on spring break on a lot of weekends.

Your fine choices of offcampus apartments are:

1) Poinciana Lakes (954-723-9110)
- most popular
- just north of Cedar Keys
- 1-, 2-, 3-bedrooms only
- allows dogs
- walking, biking distance

2) Cedar Key (954-370-0088)
- closest to the dental building
- studio, 1-, 2-bedrooms only

3) Sun Forest (954-424-0551)
- just east of Cedar Keys
- allows dogs
- the biggest apartment complex around campus
- 1 and 2-bedrooms only

4) Garden of Nova (954-236-3522)
- three blocks away
- biking and driving distance
- cheapest amongst listed
- only 2-bedroom apartments
- allow dogs

At all these apartments, studios will cost you $700-800, 2-bedrooms will be around $1000 and 3-bedrooms will be around $1200. Want more info, call the apartment complex. I would live in one of these, if you would like to have your classmates as your neighbors, meet other HPD students, go to pool parties, live in contemporary/luxury apartments and be close to the dental building/HPD campus.

:cool:

[DISCLAIMER: all the above information is to my knowledge, please confirm all information yourselves with the individual apartment complex. This is for you own information only.]

larryt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy birthday Andy ! Getting close to 30 eh ? Starting any midlife crisis yet ? j/k :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: opps.. wrong thread ... can't delete ... anyway.. Happy birthday man.

jes1ca

OP Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Yah-E,

Thanks for the info about the apartments. I will definitely seriously look at living in the apartments. Without your information, I never would have known. I appreciate it.

By the way, I think you might have been one of the students present the day of my interview that gave a tour. I believe there was someone named Andy there, but I am not sure. It was the last Friday in January. Take care.

Jessica

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Jess:

I would go with the apartments and not dorms! I meet a lot of interviewee during their interivew day. You might have met me in the Sim Lab, but it would not be me who give you the tour. Tour guides are usually first-year students.

Are you pumped for school yet? You'll love it here!

Good luck apartment hunting!

kidcanada

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What Up to all my Nova 2008 classmates. I decided in the end that Nova is the school for me. Sorry if I offended anyone with my reputation question. Nova rules!

Kidcanada

Nova Southeastern class of 2008

xxsuzuki1000xx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello to all of my future Nova 2008 classmates!

Chris
Nova Class of 2008

JRogoff

Resident Palatal Phallacy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by xxsuzuki1000xx
Just wanted to say hello to all of my future Nova 2008 classmates!

Chris
Nova Class of 2008

I posted on the acceptance thread too, sorry. I got accepted today too. When did you interview? I interviewed on March 5th.

xxsuzuki1000xx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also was interviewed on March 5th... I'm sure that we were in the same interview group!

Chris

xxsuzuki1000xx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
JRogoff, I just read your post in the Official Acceptance thread. They called me today around 10:30A, telling me I was accepted. Are you the guy that was also accepted to Arizona?

Chris
Nova Class of 2008

JRogoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
JRogoff, I just read your post in the Official Acceptance thread. They called me today around 10:30A, telling me I was accepted. Are you the guy that was also accepted to Arizona?

Chris
Nova Class of 2008

Yes, i am the guy that got into Arizona too. Who are you? Were you at the same interview on the 5th? Where else you get accepted? You definetly going to Nova? Let me know!

xxsuzuki1000xx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my interview on the 5th too... (I was sitting like three chairs away from you in the interview room) As of today, I will be definitely attending Nova in the Fall! :clap: :clap:

JRogoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^

Are you the one that goes to Nova for that advanced standing program? Or the hispanic dude that was sitting next to that guy (possibly goes to nova also because some office lady was hugging you)??

xxsuzuki1000xx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was sitting next to the dual admissions guy from Nova in the interview room (but I'm not hispanic). :D

Chris
Nova Class of 2008

JRogoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^^^

I think i know who you are now, the guy hugging the lady that worked there. You know if anyone else in our interview group that got in? I hear we got some of the last spots left!

xxsuzuki1000xx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, haven't heard from anyone else that got in from our interview group, although there was a guy in the dual admissions program...

Chris
Nova Class of 2008

JRogoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^^

If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose Nova?

xxsuzuki1000xx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I went to Nova undergrad, so I know what they have to offer...

Chris
Nova Class of 2008

JRogoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^^^

If you don't mind, can you give me some specifics? I am leaning towards Nova right now and i think i just need to be sold on the school. I am from Miami, so i know all about what life is like in south Florida. Are you from south Florida? If so, what high school? Thanks.....

JRogoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
JRogoff, are you definitely going to Nova?

Do you have AIM? It would be a little easier to talk on there. My screen name is FSUJosh03.....thanks!

JRogoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just checking to see if anyone has recently decided to attend nova? If so, why? I was just accepted a week ago and am trying to decide where to go. I am leaning towards nova right now and just wanted to see why others have chose nova?

Thanks everyone!

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an acceptance from Nova today! (Well, they left a message 3/18, but I just got it today)

I'm also wondering whether I should attend since it'll be a little cheaper than where I'm intending to go right now...and pros and cons from people who know about the school or go there right now?

W

Woodsy

Originally posted by ziptree
I just got an acceptance from Nova today! (Well, they left a message 3/18, but I just got it today)

I'm also wondering whether I should attend since it'll be a little cheaper than where I'm intending to go right now...and pros and cons from people who know about the school or go there right now?

W

Woodsy

Originally posted by ziptree

aren't you in UCLA? isn't UCLA cheaper? If you aren't gonna go there I suggest that you just decline it so that others can have a chance. Sorry to be so blunt.

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, with everything included, Nova will be a tad cheaper for me than UCLA. Plus, I like the state-of-the-art facilities that Nova offers.

Considering I found out less than half a week ago that I got accepted, I feel that I should have at least one or two more days to consider my options, don't you think? Dental school isn't a trivial thing, or else forums like SDN wouldn't exist.

JRogoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^^^

Looks like we're the only two that got accepted recently. When did you interview? Mine was on March 5th. What school are you leaning towards? I'm leaning towards Nova at the moment, that could change. Where are you from? I hope your not from cali because to think that in state costs more than a private school is crazy! If no one answers us then i guess we can help eachother decide. Good luck in making your decision!

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed March 4. =)

I'm leaning towards UCLA, but it'll cost more than Nova, so I don't know. Nova's facilities are very very nice though. Their DentSim lab (although small) and research facilities are awesome.

JRogoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^^

Doesn't Nova's sim lab have a chair for every student? If so, i wouldn't call it small, i would call it just the right size. Maybe your were talking about the virtural lab, which only has a couple of seats.

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JRogoff
^^^

Doesn't Nova's sim lab have a chair for every student? If so, i wouldn't call it small, i would call it just the right size. Maybe your were talking about the virtural lab, which only has a couple of seats.

The machines in the VR lab are called DentSims, the interactive tutor VR machines. There's only 6 at Nova right now, while UPenn has 20. Of course UPenn has been well-established and probably has more funding/donor money than Nova.

Florida is a very nice place to live, but it's really really humid there. :mad:

Oh, BTW, do you know how much the off-campus housing across from the Health Professions Division @ Nova is per month, approximately?

munbue

Roy Munson
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm attending Nova next fall and the apartments that I've been looking at online are priced as follows:

1 bedroom ~ $800- $1200
2 bedroom ~ $1000- $1500
3 bedroom ~ $1100- $1600

Of course you can find some for cheaper and/or more expansive, but these are what the average student probably pays.