NOVA Doctors' Diaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organdonor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiance told me about this website, a six part documentary recommended to her from the husband of an MSIV.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/program.html

It seems to do a great job following students even from the medical school stage.

Members don't see this ad.

0720_big.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I watched it on netflix instant. One of my favorite parts was when one of the med school students bragged that he went to the library and studied for a whole 6 hours!! Not saying med school is easy but I could study for six hours straight w/o bathroom breaks or eating on my worst day. It was very interesting documentary to say the least.

The high divorce rate was pretty eye-opening.

I watched it on netflix instant. One of my favorite parts was when one of the med school students bragged that he went to the library and studied for a whole 6 hours!! Not saying med school is easy but I could study for six hours straight w/o bathroom breaks or eating on my worst day. It was very interesting documentary to say the least.

The high divorce rate was pretty eye-opening.

HAHAHAH ME TOO! When I saw it before med school I had thought 6hrs to be ungodly...now I think I put in 6hrs when I study casually.

This series was super depressing for me. They all seem relatively miserable. Like the opth who seemed extremely successful, dedicated to several causes and well adjusted despite his divorce and then starts going off on an tangent about how he realizes he is truly alone despite his intimate/family relationships.... uh..

*edit* Additionally, did anyone else think that there may have been some kind of agenda behind the portrayal of these individuals?

None of them seemed happy except that black woman who decided to do charity work or something instead of being a practicing doctor.

Only one of them had a stable marriage and she was unsure if she would recommend medicine as a career for her kids.

Then there was that guy who became an ER doc and divorced a ton of times, was overweight, smoked, and if i remember correctly he was let go from some hospital because they clashed.

It was depressing, but it had a lot of good stuff. One of the things i liked the most was seeing the transition of student to practicing physician. At first they were really nervous then gradually became confident practising physicians. I think the two black women seemed happy. One making big bucks in cali. the other doing charity work. I could however tell that during the movie some of the doctors self edited or did not disclose a lot.

Just watched this on netflix and found it very enlightening and thought provoking. First off, I wouldn't go to say that all of them were unhappy.
The cardiologist seemed pretty satisfied with her life, but I did notice that she was missing a significant other throughout the show, which may be an indication that she might have problems establishing connections/relationships.
I feel like the doctor who ended up not practicing medicine should not be too much of a surprise. She got a PhD in history before entering medical school, and I feel like she always wanted to help and thought medicine was a possible career path. I feel like she was very wise because she knew that it simply was not for her- she postponed her residency to work for a nonprofit organization and now she is happy.
The anesthesiologist seemed balanced, but I found that the part where he was interviewed with his wife was very awkward, which might be an indication of marriage problems. I feel like he knows his wife is a gold digger but he doesn't care much about it.
Every aspect of the ophthalmologist's life seemed great, apart from the fact that he could not establish a very intimate relationship with his wife, or at least as much as he would have liked. I feel like he has a good heart and is a good person.
The psychologist seems happy now, but we did not have that much footage of him. I found it weird that he was actually seeing a psychologist, but maybe that's just me.
Tom's outcome was very sad. He was a handsome person in medical school and it all went down the hill every since. He got into marriages with people who did not necessarily love him for him, which is also an indication of not being able to find that real connection that the ophthalmologist was talking about.
I feel like the family practice physician was the most balanced. Her chief complaint was the fact that she felt she was not compensated enough for her job, but we all know that. All in all, I feel like this is a movie that people should watch before entering the field of medicine.
Do you guys know if there are any other documentaries/movies you could recommend?