• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

odforme

10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I just received a pre-interview packet from Nova and there was a long letter detailing their attendance and dress code policies. Wow, it's pretty strict! It kindof turned me off to the school, seemed cult-ish. I mean shouldn't we know how to dress ourselves by this point? And is it necessary to wear ties to class? I get being dressed for clinic but sitting in class all day shouldn't require ties!!! Are there any other schools that have this policy? Did anyone else think this was over the top or just me?:eek:

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2001
Tampa
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
I just received a pre-interview packet from Nova and there was a long letter detailing their attendance and dress code policies. Wow, it's pretty strict! It kindof turned me off to the school, seemed cult-ish. I mean shouldn't we know how to dress ourselves by this point? And is it necessary to wear ties to class? I get being dressed for clinic but sitting in class all day shouldn't require ties!!! Are there any other schools that have this policy? Did anyone else think this was over the top or just me?:eek:

SCCO does the same thing --- or did when I interviewed there.

UHCO was only dressed up for clinic only. You could wear jeans and t-shirt for lectures, but you couldnt walk downstairs into clinic like that.

About the Ads

Colonel Mitchel

The Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
I suppose a tie does make one look more professional. It wouldn't be a problem for me. My undergraduate school requires guys to wear a tie in the mornings. They want to keep a professional appearance.

You said they also have strict attendance requirements. What are those?

odforme

10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
"Attendance is required at every class and every absences must be explained in writing to the Office of Student Affairs within 24 hours." I don't have a problem with required attendance but the fact that they send you this before you even interview makes me think they like rules. ALOT! Rules for the sake of rules...I wonder if you need permission to go to the restroom, too?

Subiedubie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Yeah that packet surprised me as well, considering how laid back and friendly everyone was when I went there for my interview.

I spoke with a 2nd year at Nova while I was there and he basically said that everyone just ends up wearing scrubs all day so the dress code is no big deal. You can either wear a shirt & tie, or scrubs. Scrubs it is!

As for the attendance policy...this seems a bit strict. I guess if anything it'll keep me accountable.

4Eyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
UHCO was only dressed up for clinic only. You could wear jeans and t-shirt for lectures, but you couldnt walk downstairs into clinic like that.
This is how UMSL is. I like it. My days to dress down are numbered, plus it's expensive getting a whole new wardrobe all at once. I'm adding to my clinic attire gradually.

I think NSUOK has some kind of dress up policy, at least on some days. I just toured the school...I didn't apply...so I'm sure someone else would know more. I can understand why some schools do it, and I don't think it would put me off, but I don't really think it's necessary.

Optiman

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
I am a student at NOVA and can tell you that the dress code is no big deal. In reality it is either dress attire OR scrubs. Everyone wears scrubs. They are cheap and you dont have to think about what to wear etc. The first two years you almost always wear scrubs unless you are going to clinic observations etc. I am sure all schools require you to dress for clinics.
We dont take attendance either, although there is a system set up to scan ID cards if they ever want to. Personally I believe that if you are going to be missing classes, you should re-evaluate your priorities. I find it no coincidance that the people struggling in OD school are generally the ones who miss class...

odforme

10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Thanks for the info everyone....I feel better about Nova now. I just thought that packet was a bit intense considering I hadn't even interviewed yet. Glad to know things are more relaxed than they seemed. ;)

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I want to check out NOVA! (because i want to go on vacation and get away from this snow!) :laugh:

How long did it take you guys to hear from NOVA after your application was complete? Its seems like no one ever answers the phone when i call.

pienfoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
i got through to someone quickly when I called this morning. The lady on the phone said she doesn't know when the admissions committee is going to meet. in exact words "yeaaaa, i reaaaally don't know" . she was really nice though. laters.

fonziefonz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2006
I want to check out NOVA! (because i want to go on vacation and get away from this snow!) :laugh:

How long did it take you guys to hear from NOVA after your application was complete? Its seems like no one ever answers the phone when i call.

No one answers when I call either. But I heard back in 2 days with them calling me.

Colonel Mitchel

The Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
I've heard it's nearly impossible to get someone to take your calls there. A friend of mine who is accepted to Nova's osteopathic program said the admissions department seemed somewhat understaffed or overworked. It could just be that it is a popular place. I don't know. But he said they are good there about getting back to you if you leave a message.

Also, I think required attendance is a good idea. We have that at my undergrad school. I think it is true that those who go to class do better than those who skip. I know I do better.

Subiedubie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Also, I think required attendance is a good idea. We have that at my undergrad school. I think it is true that those who go to class do better than those who skip. I know I do better.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you go for your undergrad? Are you currently attending optometry school right now?

ILeyesIL

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I also was intimidated by the whole dress code and attendance policy packet. However, talking to the current students made me realize that its not that bad at all. Like someone mentioned, you can wear scrubs if you want. They just have to be the color of the program. Every program at NOVA has a specific color. I think optometry is a dark shade of teal. Also, the upper classes might have diff colors.
The attendance policy isn't that horrible either. If you want to be a slacker, there are ways you can get around it :) I wouldn't recommend it though.

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
can those who got an interview to NOVA share their stats?

Ive never had to wear a uniform for school so I think it would be really neat to wear scrubs to class!

Do you get that package when you are offerred an interview?

ILeyesIL

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Well, you don't have to wear scrubs. You can also wear professional attire but no blue jeans or sandles. The funny thing is though I did see ppl in sandles and blue jeans during my interview so I don't know how strictly they enforce the rules.

Colonel Mitchel

The Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
If you don't mind me asking, where did you go for your undergrad? Are you currently attending optometry school right now?

I am currently at Bob Jones University. The attendance requirements are kind of strict. Anyone can miss up to a week of classes for various reasons. Special circumstances can get you more time off. Interviews can get your absence excused. Technically, if you miss 6 classes without permission you could get expelled, but I don't know that that has ever happened.
I don't think the policy is all that uncommon. I know that a couple of the community colleges near my home have attendance requirements.
I know a lot of parents fork out a lot of money to pay for their kids' tuition and all. I guess attendance requirements help to insure the paying customer is getting his product, at least from the schools' and parents' viewpoint.
I think a school definitely has the right to require attendance. It has the right to make rules and I have the right to not attend their school.

odforme

10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I don't necessarily disagree with Col. Mitchell on all points but I do think that sometimes too many rules indicates that the focus is in the wrong place. We are supposed to be training to become OD's. I would think we know how to appropriately dress ourselves by now and if not then maybe you aren't ready for this experience. I'm sure I'd attend all of my classes but requiring it seems like they are just making more work for themselves. Obviously to be successful, you should attend your classes but requiring it and having to follow up and discipline people seems like too much extra work. Makes me wonder what isn't getting done while someone is managing the attendance policy.

4Eyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
The people who never show up to class usually weed themselves out. But then school retention rates don't look too good. :p

Col Mitchel: Stargate fan, or coincidence? (sorry, off topic, I know)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.