Nova interview - Dr. Terry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd star

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm headed down to fort lauderdale this weekend to interview at Nova and i'm really excited because i've been to the school and i've met all the important people there and i really like it there.... but my friend interviewed there last week and she had Dr. Terry, who made one of the girls in her group cry! i'm kind of nervous about how to handle that.... i know that if i get him, he'll hound me about my MCAT scores, but i don't know how to stand my ground without getting upset or defensive.

i really love the school, but something like that just turns me off.... i mean, if the guy made some girl cry, what does that say about the school?

anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle him if he is one of my interviewers?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, Dr. Terry is a nice guy, just stay calm and answer your q's with composure..........he tries to be tough to see if you can handle pressure............when i met him, he was very nice, he has a rep of being tough, just stay calm and he'll love you.........oh yeah, give good reasons of why you want to be a DO.....for i.e. say you want to view the patient as Mary rather than room 202, with kidney failure................

nero

i'm sure he's a nice guy - i've heard he really is - and i know the interview is just a test to see how you can handle the stress... i guess i just have to figure out how to handle it and stay calm and composed.

thanks for your input nero :)

any other advice about questions they ask or how to stand your ground about things like MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not knowing your situation or MCAT scores, the best advice that I can give is that you be honest with yourself and your interviewer. In one of my interviews I had a question like what you've described. I was very forthright about my screwups, described what I learned from it, and the interviewer seemed to appreciate the honesty.

I know that it is really hard to be criticized. If you can anticipate the question (as you are already doing), and anticipate an honest, humble answer (emphasis on humble) you'll be much better prepared for the interview. Best of luck to you.

In contrast, I know someone well who was given a similar question. He answered in a fairly defensive, arrogant, not-my-fault answer. I don't know how it all worked out, other than it somewhat combative and tense for a while. But I do know that he didn't get into that school, despite grat grades and scores. If you go head to head with an interviewer you probably won't win.

Hey!
First of all, good luck on your interview! You may be lucky and not have Dr. Terry - he wasn't on either interview panel when I interviewed. When I was there, one of the guys in our interview group had what I thought was a really good answer to the mcat question, although I don't know if it's used a lot and considered "cookie cutter". He said he studied really hard was was happy with his practice tests, and was really disappointed when he saw his scores. Then he said that that was only him on paper and that he felt as a person he had a lot more to offer than statistics on a paper. I think he ended it with telling them that if the scores weren't good enough, he'd retake them and be right back again next year with the improvement. Hope that helps! And good luck again!!

abw - tat is a good answer. thanks for your help :)

Hi jd,

I sent you a PM.

Weird. I had Dr. Terry, and I thought he was THE NICEST interviewer I have had! Are we talking about the same doctor?? He told alot of his personal experiences during the interview and probably spoke more than I did! My first set of MCAt scores were mentioned (I brought them up) and he said that Nova is much more about other factors other than numbers.

However, alot of the other students (mostly girls) came out of their interviews very distraught. They said the were told they would have to bring up their MCAt scores. This was before Aug MCATs were available to the schools. Probably by now, they are interviewing you because the have seen your scores, and find them acceptable.

My main advise: Don't take the questions defensively. Smile, nod and be understanding of them asking those questions. Listen to thier advise and be agreeable. Dont let one question dictate the rest of your interview either! good luck!

I have an interview at Nova soon and I am not worried about MCAT questions but GPA questions. I have a few borderline grades in chem and physics. How do I explain the disparity between my grades and my MCAT scores.

Hey!
I wouldn't worry about it. I have a couple of c's and f's on my transcript, but they didn't mention them. I mentioned it myself and tried to explain them, but they told me my grades were fine (??) I guess if they do ask, just say you've always worked hard and you finally got the hang of it by the time you took the mcat. I think it looks better when your mcat is better than your grades than if your grades are better than your mcats (that might suggest grades were inflated). All the best of luck!!

As an M1 at NOVA, I can give some insight here on Dr. Terry. He is a wonderful man who every student who has ever attended NSU or the original SECOM owes a debt of grattitude. He is the reason why the medical school exists along with the dental, optometry, pharmacy, OT, PT and the future nursing programs. With all of his efforts noted, it should also be pointed out that he does not have the greatest tact in interviews. No, he is not mean spirited or rude. It appears this way to people because they often mistake his direct style for rudeness. He doesn't jerk around or sugar-coat like most interviewers would....and say " We think you're a great applicant, but do you care to tell us about the trouble you had in the verbal section of the MCAT?" He just says " Why was your verbal score so low?" Directness, not rudeness. When you all come in for your interviews and you see this beautiful campus, and that first large, marble-faced building with palm trees and fountains... that is the Terry Building. That is where you are interviewing. It is his house, and he wants to make sure he only accepts quality applicants. There is no reason to cry, many of my classmates had their balls busted by Dr. Terry, they obviously got in. Just answer him directly, be yourself, and you'll have no problem... unless you're a schmuck. Your interview is a personality test. Your grades and MCAT's... well, if you got an interview, these obviously are not a problem considering the fact that a couple thousand applicants don't even receive interviews at NOVA, then you should feel pretty good about your situation. Dr. Terry is actually a kind and generous man, and all of you applicants should have that in the back of your mind, the fact that he cares deeply about the well being of the institution he started and the students who attend. I would be more than happy to answer any questions about the interview process, or about NOVA in general. Good luck to all of you.

wow - first of all, i was worried for nothing!

my interview was yesterday.... i didn't have dr. terry, but the people in the group that had him said that he was awesome. i guess you can't believe everything you hear, and you have to go in with your own attitude. my interview went great - or at least i hope so.

you're right about dr. terry though.... i didn't realize that he contributed that much money to the school. when we went into the library on the tour, i was so overwhelmed by how unbelievably incredible it was. the whole school is amazing... it's funny because i'm now pretty sure that if i get into Nova, that's where i'm gonna go. i've never gotten this feeling about anything before.... there was nothing that i didn't like about the school or my day yesterday. lynne said we'd hear in about a week and a half, so i'm crossing my fingers until then.

thanks for all your help everyone.... i was totally worried about nothing, and he really did seem like a great guy.

:D :D :D