Nova interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RAM#48

I got an interview invitation from NOVA today (Oct. 22). I am wondering if anyone has any information about how many applicants apply there versus how many are interviewed. In other words, from reading interviewfeedback.com, it seems as though a few schools usually offer interviews to those that have an excellent chance of getting in (Philly and Kirksville that I have found so far). Obviously everyone has a shot if they get an interview (some better than others).

On a different note, how heavily do schools weigh post-bac and graduate grades? My undergrad was rather mediocre, but I have gotten stellar grades in 40 or so hours of graduate school.

ps What the heck is up with NOVA's dress and attendance policy? How can you not wear anything but shorts and a t-shirt in South Florida? From what I got in the mail, it seemed like the dress code applied for classes, not just clinicals.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand (and hope) the earlier your interview, the better your chances of acceptance. I think an October interview is pretty early so I would GUESS that you will have a good chance. But I could be wrong! (I have been before
wink.gif
)

Mig

Hey RAM! It seems that I just keep following you in your tracks. I, too, got an interview at NOVA today... And actually it is also on the 22nd, so I'm sure we'll see eachother there. Someone else around here also has one on the 22nd.. (Boomer?)

I called and spoke with them today. Forget it if you want to change the date. Big hassle, and you're put at the end of the interview list... The Good News though, they interview on Mondays and Fridays, and the first interview date is Oct. 18.. Thus, we're in just the 2nd group.. Maybe they won't be sick of interviewing people by then.. LOL.

Ahh, I would love to return home to Sunny FLorida...

COngrats and Good luck!!

Sara

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'll be at Nova on Oct. 22. I'll see you guys there.

Hey, congrats on your interviews at NSUCOM! I'm a student there and I love it.

As for the dress code, I love that too. For women, the code is pretty liberal: just look nice, or wear scrubs. For men, you can wear a shirt, tie, and dress slacks ... or scrubs. Needless to say, about 95% of us go for the scrubs. Oh, and you must wear a labcoat around the facilities -- no big deal.

Good luck at the interview!

ggulick.gif

Congrats Ram and SD,

Looks like I'll see you two at the airport. I've got an interview at Nova for Oct 25.
I'm excited.

DocGibby

Congrats you guys! Good luck!

Mig

Getting an interview in Oct at NOVA is good news. You do have a good chance.

Dress code is a way to make you to think and behave professionally. Don't worry too much about the dress code, it is not the major concern for medical school.

I am in my second year in NOVA and dress code has never been an issue to me. Passing all the classes and the board are more important. Besides, you can wear scrubs, that is as good as your pajamas!!

Before you accept the acceptance of NOVA, you will be required to sign an aggreement. Basically, that is for the aggreement to following the school regulations, and one of them is the dress code. Our Dean is very serious about the dress code policy and therefore, every students have to sign the aggreement before you start school here.

Make your own judgement, if you can not tolerate that simple regulation, then you can make another decision to another school. That is simple, right?!

Hey Henry or Greg- any advice for the interviews??? WHat was the overall experience like for you guys? Were they throwing things at you left and right, or was it laidback? ANything is greatly appreciated. Either of you two giving tours on the 22nd?!
smile.gif

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

I can only share about my experience. I had my interview with a Ph.D & and DO. (Don't want to mention names here.) General questions were being asked such as:
1. Why do I want to be a doc? Why DO? Why NOVA?
2. Describe yourself?
3. Don't try to tell them how much you like the program in NOVA w/o knowing it well. Last year, a DO told me that some students he interviewed tried to impress him by discussing about the school programs. Unfortunately, the students did not have a good understanding of the program, and they sharpely decreased their chances of admission.

Read the catalog ahead.
Read up about:
1. IGC Preceptorship
2. Clinical correlation include the PBL group in second year.
3. Clinical Practicum
4.Rural rotation.(4th yr rotation)

Those are the unique courses you can find at NOVA, besides all the science courses.

Email me if you have futher questions after the readings.
I believe that Greg will have more to tell you. He is very resourceful and he knows many faculties here.

I just want to know if there's any NOVA left to go to? How's the weather Greg? 600 miles of wind and rain? Do you ride a boat to your classes? Seriously, I am curious as to what happened and how well it was survived by NOVA.

P.S. I'm sorry if my light-hearted conversation on this serious event has offended anyone.

We're still here and smiling! The weather from the hurricane was non-existant. The day it was supposed to hit was absolutely gorgeous. We did get a little wind and rain from the latest tropical storm but that's it. The facilities were not "injured" in any way. We are a few miles from the shore so we aren't in the direct line of fire for most storms.

Thanks for asking!

Great news! Maybe I'll have to consider a NOVA interview after all.... if I get one.

------------------
From one thing learn 10,000 things..
-Miyamoto Musashi

Hello,

It looks like I will be conducting the 8:00 a.m. tour on Oct. 22nd. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Clinton

To explain what I meant by above, I needed to test my password....

I am too a M-1 at NOVA. So I just wanted to give you a little advice for those of you who are getting an interview here. (Congrats.. I know how excited you are. I was too last year..)

To add one more thing to Henry's Advice,

ASK MANY QUESTIONS~!

that will show your interest in our school. I asked many things about rural medicine, primary care, Managed Health Care, and Geriatrics. I even carried a list of questions.

For those of you who are applying to Allopathic Med Schoo, think about reasons why you are doing that.... You maybe asked.. I was asked...

ABOUT OUR SCHOOL:

dress codes sucks~! i hate it. but as gregory put it, it's not a big deal. i wear scrubs everyday. it make me look like a real doctor...

preceptorships.. it's not as organized as you want it to be.. but considering only one or two people coordinating this program.. it's great.. I love my mentor.. He explains to me every case that we see.. And he is a good guy... It keeps my motivation high as well...

location.. well Florida is FUN~! Don't forget your swim-wear and sun-lotion ... you will have fun here..

Post Any Questions that You have.

DoWannaBe
Class of 2003