NOVA Interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Physiatrist2B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a phone message from Ms. Lyn Coley at NOVA. Wants to know if I would like to come down for an interview. Would appreciate it if someone would let me know what the interview was like and questions to expect. What did you think of the school, curriculum, faculty, staff, etc?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Physiatrist2B:
•Would appreciate it if someone would let me know what the interview was like and questions to expect. What did you think of the school, curriculum, faculty, staff, etc?
•••••I interviewed in December 2000. There were three interviewers: one psychologist, one clinician, and one administrative type. One guy tried to provoke me during the interview, paraphrasing my application unfavorably. When I challenged his characterization, he said he was trying to provoke me. So expect perhaps one to be sort of hostile, but not overly so.

They were basically trying to get to understand me, and my motivation for osteopathic medicine. They asked why I applied to so many M.D. schools.

The psychologist didn't reveal he was a psychologist until later, by asking if I in general didn't think I was good enough (reading between the lines of something I said about liking to run, but not to the point of being good enough to run a marathon). That was interesting.

They gave good feedback during the interview, stating that I interviewed well.

The school has early clinical contacts -- a strong point of the school. They also showed a demonstration with Harvey - a mannequin that allows you to hear different heart sounds through headphones.

The school was very new and nice looking. The students in the anatomy lab took time out to show us things and talk to us.

One secretary -- I think her name was Fern, was sort of an animated character. She made things lively and tried to help us feel confident going into the interview.

I hope things go as well for you as they did for me! Good luck!

Thanks. I really appreciate the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I interviewed there last fall...you get an overview in the morning with breakfast snacks (muffins I believe), then a tour by students (they are good to ask questions of) and then you sit and wait for your interview. My interview was very conversational and I felt very comfortable. I did not have Dr Terry though, and by reputation, he can try to unnerve applicants, but basically just to see if they can remain calm and handle themselves. Just be the best version of yourself, know what to expect and try to remain calm (and enjoy yourself). I liked the school so much I decided to attend there and will be starting in the fall. If you want to visit our classes site: <a href="http://www.nsucom2006.com," target="_blank">www.nsucom2006.com,</a> feel free to post a question and we'll all try to help you out (we're already becoming one big happy disfunctional family). :D Best of luck!

Physiatrist2B,

Wow, I am surprised they are still interviewing. Are you applying for the upcoming 2002-2003 year or the next year? Are you an out-of-stater?

The reason I ask is because I also interviewed late and got accepted even later (May 20th I believe).

The school and administration is great. Early clinical experiences, technology, curriculum and location made me choose NOVA over my other choices (TUCOM, AZCOM, & WU/COMP).

The interview was a stress interview at least compared to all the other Osteo school interviews I've had which were in general a "cinch". They want to see how you act under pressure and get to to know you more than practiced and rehearsed responses can ever portray...The best advice I can give you is to know your "history", why osteopathic medicine, and be able to justify anything that might have gone awry in the past.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

care

Hey,
Congrats on the interview. I interviewed in the winter there. I had Dr. Terry, a pediatrician, and an anatomy professor. It was a really good interview. I was a little nervous becuase of Dr. Terry, but I think that if you show him you are confident, he likes you becuase he was smiling by the end of my interview. Definitely know your secondary becuase they will ask you lots of stuff from that. Also, think about your weak points and how to back them up. The interviewer kind of go where the conversation leads so you can really discuss whatever you want.
Good luck.

Barb

I didn't think Dr. Terry was that bad. If you go in there knowing he's going to ask some provoking questions, and you are able to stay calm, that's half the battle. Just be prepared to defend any weakness in your application (grades, MCAT, or lack of exposure to osteopathic medicine). This interview is very much about keeping your cool and proving you know something about osteopathic medicine. Good luck.

Mary, in admissions, said they would be interviewing 9-15 out-of-staters. Ms. Coley said they had accepted all the in-state people and were looking to fill the rest with out of state people. Interview is Monday, July 10th. Thanks for the info. Keep it coming! Bring on Dr. Terry, I love people like him! I should point out, I'm a Speech Pathologist - I encounter a lot of different types of people. Makes life more interesting.

yes, Dr. Terry was not bad at all.
I had him, Dr. Sandhouse the head of OPP and Dr. Kalmey, a Ph.D who teaches Anatomy.
It was a very relaxing interview with nothing out of the ordinary. Dr. Terry did most of the talking and if there is any weakness in your application he WILL mention it.
It is an open file interview and the tour of the campus is usually given before the interview.
They want you just as bad as you want them.
Be sure to stress that. It is totally up to you from here on. I see no reason why you should not come out smiling. :D
My questions dealt with why Osteopathy, where do you see yourself in 10 years, background info that was covered in the personal statement.
The rest of the time they did the talking.

One last advice...if they ask you if there is anything you would like to ask be sure to take full advantage of it. they take pride in their school and like to talk about it.

good luck!

Yeah the interview is no sweat. I did not have Dr. Terry but instead I had Dr. Barkus who is an OB-GYN. They definitely try to get you out of your comfort zone and they ask questions that I had never come across in my other interviews. They did point out some of my weaknesses but I was ready to smash it back at them.

Good Luck with your interview.

PS. Fern is awesome, if she gives you the "lucky candy" , take it and keep it.

you will understand when you get there.

Chris