Nova, KCOM, UNECOM, or Touro???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bandit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of deciding between these four schools and would like to get any input that may help in the decision. What did everyone think about those schools? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have accepted a spot at KCOM and I really like the school. I felt that the curriculum was very strong. I also liked the fact that they try to make a seamless transition into the 3rd & 4th year rotations even though you have to move away from Kirksville.

I also think that the quality of students at Kirksville is fairly high when I look at the average MCAT and GPA. KCOM seems to be very comparable my state allopathic schools (I have interviewed at both of them).

I cannot speak about the other osteopathic schools but I was very impressed with KCOM. Hope that helps.

As a KCOM student who really likes their school I thought I would share with you a few things that could be negatives about KCOM

1. Kirksvill is a small town:
- This is a disadvantage if you can't handle small towns
- this is an advantage is you don't mind small towns; friendly people, very short travel times to classes (you can go home for lunch or even between classes if you need to)

2. OTM
- if you absolutely do not like OTM and don't even have an open mind about it then you will be unhappy at KCOM. We do spend a fair amount of time in OTM lab and if you hate it you will be misserable. If you have an open mind about OTM once you get treated by someone who is good with it you will be amazed with how helpful it can be.

Good luck with your decision.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replys. I, too, was quite impressed with KCOM when I got there. I was pretty skeptical about KCOM due to the location, but while I was there I loved it. I also wouldn't mind living in a small town and would love to learn more about OMT. The problem is that I am in a two year long serious relationship. My boyfriend will go wherever I go, but I am not sure how easy it would be for him to get a job in Kirksville.

As for the other schools, I was impressed that Nova won a few awards and sunny Florida would be nice.

I really liked UNECOM, almost as much as KCOM and it is only 3 hours from where I live. The problem there is I don't know if I should go where everyone wants me to go, but I really liked it there. The students were quite nice.

The students and faculty at Touro seemed great, but I am skeptical about going to a new school and that there is a lot of development yet to be done.

Thanks for your help and I hope that I hear from both current students and those starting next fall.

Bandit,

Those are some tough choices! There are pluses and minuses to each of them. Obviously, I am partial to KCOM...the place is great! But, it is not w/o problems. In this same vein, what impresses me most about KCOM is how genuinely interested the school is in student opinions and suggestions for improvement. I know cause I am highly active in the student gov't and multiple committees that specifically are driven by student input.

OTOH, K'Ville is a remote little town w/o much to offer in the way of career advancement, unless your SO has computer, administration or educational skills. Much of KCOM's clerical, admin and information systems personnel are comprised of student spouses and SOs. Also, as I understand it, many SOs/spouses are employed by Truman State and the public education districts in the surrounding communities. So, even though we are definitely in the boonies...there are merits. Sometimes you just have to look harder for them.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!