Nova Mbs Post Bacc???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3341

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey does anyone know of the NSU post bacc MBS program at NOVA? Anyone accepted, rejected or interviewed????/ What are their admission stats like?? What type of student do they look for???

Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks thats an awesome link. Im actually waiting for an interview, so if you have any advice please share.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by doc3341
Thanks thats an awesome link. Im actually waiting for an interview, so if you have any advice please share.

They informed me during my interview (March 4, 2004) that their last interview day would be the next day, March 5...so I don't know if they'll be accepting any more applicants.

The first question during the interview was "Why did you apply so late? You know that our last interview date is tomorrow, right?"...

doc, did you receive any letter saying that your application is complete? I'm still waiting for mine and I applied in late early February.

ziptree, the masters program??!! for predental?? that interview deadline seems very early. Last year, my interview was in May/June.

I havent recieved a letter saying my application was complete yet. Hav eyou guys? Thats weird about the interview so early. I talked to Doreen Palmer the admissions counselor person, and she told me the comittee would first see the applications March 1st. I spoke to her the last week of february, and thats what she said. Im surprised because I applied the first week of January. What else have you all heard?????????:eek:

Last week i got an email saying that my recommendation letters and transcripts were received. No other info yet.

Good luck to all,

Comet

Comet, when did you apply? I applied in late January and havent heard anything yet. Im starting to wonder if they even got my application.

i applied around the same time and no news yet. i'll call Doreen to see if she has my stuff yet or not.

Hey guys, I have been trying to speek with Doreen Palmer for the last two days but all I get is her voice mail. If any of you get a chance to talk to her, ask her when they will be interviewing applicants and please let the rest of us know.

Thanks!:D

can we possibly get a list of how many of us on here are applying to the MBS at Nova??

this is what i have:

Comet208
doc3341
savvysearch

I know there is more, so please feel free to add yourself.

I heard that last year, only about 100 people applied. They usually accept about 20 pre-meds, and about 5 pre-dents. Hope this helps.

Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
I called NOVA and wanted to find this out, however, I will ask it here:

-You said 5 pre-dents got in out of 100 total applicants. How many pre-dents DO YOU think actually applied? My guess is somewhere in the 10-20 pre-dental student range
-Same question for pre-med students. Maybe 80-90?

Honestly Im not sure, they just told me that a total of about 100 applicants applied. And from there, 5 pre dents and 20 pre meds were selected. I would think that more pre dents applied than just 10-20 of them.

Hey Bullfan16, what was the official count from NSU???

I called and left a message...no response yet. I have an interview coming up this week...but am still curious about doing a post-bac/Masters program (at NOVA its called the Biomedical Sciences Masters Program or BMS). I will post when I find info out (if they call back or I get in touch with them)

Good luck on that interview, and be sure to post any info ... thanks again

I spoke to Doreen yesterday03/16/04, and she said that the admissions committee has not yet been given the applications to review. That they are still organizing all the applicants info. She also said that they weren't allowed to give people a "status" on their application and that anyone who is missing anything from their file will be mailed a letter indicating that. If anyone else gets any information(like an interview) be sure to post and let the rest of us know.

Thanks,

mike
like an interview

Originally posted by doc3341
I spoke to Doreen yesterday03/16/04, and she said that the admissions committee has not yet been given the applications to review. That they are still organizing all the applicants info. She also said that they weren't allowed to give people a "status" on their application and that anyone who is missing anything from their file will be mailed a letter indicating that. If anyone else gets any information(like an interview) be sure to post and let the rest of us know.

Thanks,

mike
like an interview

That's what Doreen said to me a while back ago. I guess they are doing it like last year which means they don't review the files until May.

My guess is that out of 100, possibly 30-40 were dental applicants. When I interviewed, there were about 5 people there, and the interviewer had given me 3 dates. So about 15 may have gotten interviewed. But I'm assuming that not everyone gets an interview so I say 30-40.

Does that mena they dont review files until may?? when the heck do they interview?

I was just wondering if anyone was applying to any other MBS programs??? How many of you if accepted to NSU, would actually go???

I am applying to 2 other MA in biology programs (BU and WU)... Nova is the top choice though.

If accepted, I would go. It's my top choice. My interview was in May/June last year.

Originally posted by savvysearch
If accepted, I would go. It's my top choice. My interview was in May/June last year.

Your interview was for the last cycle. did you have to reapply and use the same interview??

I wobder when they're gonna start interviewing this time around!?

I just got called for an interview..... Holy Crap what a good way to wake up! What kinda questions do you think they're gonna aask??!?!?

congrats... and good luck.
how soon is the interview???

Originally posted by Comet208
Your interview was for the last cycle. did you have to reapply and use the same interview??

Yes, I had to reapply. But I have to be granted a new interview.

Hey savy, do you remember if they grilled you on anything in particular last year? Where they trying to make your life difficult throughout theinterview, or do they tend to really try to get to know you as a person?? i have a 3.12 and i know thats not great, what do you think?

I have been accepted in to Nova and will be atttending this fall. I have a couple of questions for a buddy that has applied for the Post Bac program...

1. What is their interview schedule like? I know one guy on here has recieved an interview. When did you have your application in?

2. Would anyone mind posting your stats that are applying? Or any current students mind posting their stats? Or if anyone knows stats of people that have been accepted?

If anyone can help my buddy out here that would be great! Thanks all!

I have my interview coming up this Tuesday, March 30th. Im not sure what their interview schedule is like but I will definetely find out and post it after my interview. I had my application in around the second week of January, and my letters of recommendation were in by mid Febuary. My stats are not great, but hopefully they're good enough. I have a 3.12 overall gpa, Im not sure what my science gpa looks like. I took my PCAT in October, scored in the 99th percentile. And I will be taking my MCAT this April-AAhhhh. I also have about three years of clinical experience working as a Critical Care Technician at a local miami hospital. I have heard that they look for people with above a 3.0 gpa, MCAT's around 23-27 etc.. Hope this helps.

^^^^

Thans doc, that does help a lot. I just have one question though. Are you applying with internt on making it into the med, pharm, or dental school? I see you've taken the PCAT, plant on taking the MCAT, and no DAT. I hear they have a certain amount of spots for each program? I was assuming your going for dental and just though you might need to have taken the DAT. Thanks for your help and hope others can do the same!

Actually I took the PCAT just to use it in applying for this program. I am actually intending to go into the program with hopes of eventually entering med school. Thats why I am taking my MCAT. I hadnt taken it before because, well this test is a Bi*#$ if you know what I mean. I am on the pre dental forum because I cant seem to find anyone else on this forum who was applying to the MBS program. As for spot availability, again this is what I have "heard", They appear to accept 20 pre meds, and 5-10 pre-dents. hope this helps some.

^^^^

This is good to know because my buddy is going for dental and he was all worried that people are getting interviews and he hasn't. Anyways, thanks for all the help Doc and good luck at the interview.

If anyone going for dental can post interview dates, when application was in and stats that would be great!

Ok...so I see that the NOVA Post-Bac/Masters program is popular. I have done some research and found some programs locally that are similar, although they do not have the prestige of the NOVA program. It seems to me that if you can successfully complete the NOVA program, one is almost guaranteed a spot in dental/med/pharm/health sciences program. If you get A's across the board you are "in" for the next year. My question is, do you guys think that if I did a post-bac/masters around here (in IL) at a local University (the one I found is through Finch Medical College/University of Chicago, but it directly feeds into the Med School; also Roosevelt University program in Biotechnology) that if I did well my chances would not be as good as if I applied/matriculated into the NOVA program or one of the more prestigious programs (ie Georgetown, etc.)? Lastly, I also found a few others that are out of state....there is one that I found that is very appealing, but I am getting this feeling that in order to be taken seriously the NOVA program is where its at....do you guys think this is true, or is it basically if you find a program with suitable coursework (graduate work) that it doesnt matter in the end because everyone is doing the same amount of work (and earning same amount of credits)? If I did a program it would be something like a physiology certificate/masters (depends on if I wanted to stay the extra year to get masters) which involves pathology, physiology, anatomy, immunology, etc. and is similar in structure as the medical students schedules (or for that matter dental students.....same difficulty level essentially). I want to hear what you all have to say...I am interested. Its hard to get an answer out of the people at the schools offering these "non-traditional" programs because they are biased and want you to go to their school. By the way I am a pre-dental student. Finally (last question I promise) what are anyone's thoughts on these types of programs improving your chances of getting in for the following year given the fact that my gpa is somewhere in the 3.2 area, and its really the DAT that needs to come up (I know...dont tell me...it has to come up...and I will do everything I can to attempt to do so). Does anyone think that this is strictly for those with "lower" GPA's or is it for anyone who is serious about getting in to dental school? I am pretty sure I will have to reapply given some of the stories I have heard about NYU and the waitlist, and although not on it, they want me to retake DAT before they make the final decision and I am studying for it, but I feel like I need to get a 20 for them to consider me and I have to take it within the next 4 weeks. This is an odd situation. I feel like NYU is dangling me like a puppet. Is their program worth jumping through hoops for $40,000 tuition per year? To me it doesnt seem like it and I would rather do a postbac, apply early, give myself time to study for DAT, and have more chances to get in to more than just 1 school. (DAT random fact: some schools will not even look at your score after the 3rd attempt. Most schools and namely state schools do not abide by this policy. Tufts is a firm believer in this philosophy and if you take it more than 3 times kiss your chances goodbye.) In the end I am going to study and attempt to do well on this DAT and see what happens with them, but IMHO I would rather see what happens next cycle. Any feedback is greatly appreciated...this process...for those of us who are so close yet so far away (as adcoms will say) in one area or another (GPA, DAT, experience, LORs, connections) really sucks and is emotionally draining. I know this is long, but I need some perspective!

Short asnwer to your long question:

Completing a Masters program will for sure help since they want to see that you are capable of completing graduate work. There are many 1-2 year programs accross the country that are designed for such purpose and since most are affiliated with some big name med school, i'd say they more or less have the same reputation.

never lose hope, do well on your DAT and see what happens.

best of luck,

Comet

Thanks. I wont make this one long. Curious about the big name Med School programs. I contacted a few of the program department chairs and some are ok with pre-dents, while some aren't. Loyola University-Chicago has a brand new program that sounds like it it feets my needs (as well as those who are in this boat's needs), however, it feeds into Loyola's Medical School. Do you think if you bug the people in the programs enough they will let you enroll (that is if you are qualified and the only thing holding you back is that you are a pre-dent vs. pre-med)? Any thoughts?

Sorry..."FITS" my needs...that was a little podiatry humor....bad joke I know

Hey doc, the interviewers I had are probably not the interviewers you are going to have, but in my interview, the questions where the common ones about your academic history, why you applied to the program, about yourself and so forth.

Bullfan,

it is good that you are looking around and trying to make ways in different programs. something to still consider though is that you want a program that meets your needs and fits you the best. A masters program at any big name med school wont just do it. Many such programs are designed to get people into their own med school, no wonder they dont want you (you will be taking someone else's spot). after all, you will need access to a pre-dent adviser too which they wont offer

Thanks savvy! Ill make sure to let evryone know how it went down. :clap:

Comet,

I totally understand this point. I have called a few programs and of those few schools, a few have said they are all for pre-dent students. I am just curious if anyone knows of an "unknown" postbac/masters....or more specifically....ones near or around Chicago, IL. I understand how this process works with pre-health advisors, but I think if you are willing to do the work and meet specific criteria (GPA, DAT) then most of these programs are going to take the risk (I hope). I know a D4 at Temple (actually on the Admission Committee) who did Georgetown's program (very high demand) which strictly calls for pre-meds. My point is that there is a chance. I am curious where I can find a program (outside of these application booster Master's programs) that will admit you without GRE scores. I guess the only thing to do is call around. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Bullfan,

the two programs that i know of are Masters of Arts in Medical Sciences at BU and another one at Washington U in St. Louis. they are both designed to help enhancing undergraduate record.
I have been successful in talking directors of admission at both places to consider DAT's instead of GRE.

I applaud you all for your efforts. This is true dedication to try to achieve your life goal. I wish you all the best and I know that with your effort you will be dental students one day!

One thing I forgot to mention about these 1 year Master's programs designed for pre-meds is that as a D1, you take the same load (same courses) as M1 students take. So, about "wasting" a spot, I dont think a pre-dent would be doing that, although these programs do feed into med schools. In the end, the older the program, the more likely they are to take you. I called Loyola, and since this is going to be their first year with this program I am pretty sure they wouldn't look at my application unless I took the MCATs

I did my post-bac/MBS at a Medical school post bac program also. I was the only Pre-dental Post-bacer out of the 15 of us. It's definitely just as effective as others given if you get all minimum of "B"s. I did my Post-bac/MBS at Midwestern University (MU) at Glendale, AZ campus. You know there's another Midwestern University campus at Downers Grove, IL. The one in Downers Grove is the main campus and then MU branched out to AZ.

I was accepted to both MU Post-bac/MBS programs (AZ and IL) when I was in Minneapolis, MN, then I chose to attend the AZ campus. Dr. Romano (admissions director to the IL MBS program) accepted my DAT transcript in leu of the MCAT requirement.

If you're in Chicago area, then I would strongly recommend MU for a Post-bac/MBS as an option. Look into it! Their website is:

http://www.midwestern.edu/content/pf2.asp

http://www.midwestern.edu/il-biomed/

Good luck!