Nova Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all you Pre-OD and current OD students,

How's Nova's OD school? I'm on the dental side, but would like to know if the OD program is respected or not? I know there aren't too many OD school in the U.S. so you guys have to know how Nova is?! Let me know...thanks!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know Nova's reputation, however, i do know that the admission requirements for Nova's OD program are lower then other OD schools.

Nova is relatively new compared to other OD schools; in fact it's the newest, I believe. That probably means they have some fine tuning to do in their program. This to be expected of a new program. A few years ago the OD program was not accredited, but now I think they are. I can say that the three 4th years and grads from NOVA that I've worked with during my rotations this year have stacked up well compared to students from other schools. That leads me to believe they are getting a good education down there in FLA. There are only 14 U.S. optometry schools and they are all on equal turf education wise. Most schools teach to National Board matarial and that keeps things standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the curriculum for OD. How many years, Pre-reqs. What classes are taken in OD program. etc ?????? Just curious.

JML1DDS,
After undergrad, all OD programs are 4 years. Generally speaking the first 3 years are lectures and pre-clinic labs. The 4th year is all clinical rotations. A 1 year residency is optional. Many schools introduce students into clinic during the 2nd and 3rd year in addition to coursework.

At ICO the first 2 years include geometric optics, physiological optics, anatomy, biochem, physiology, ocular anatomy, neuro anatomy and physiology, pathology, and various visual science classes. 3rd year focuses on ocular disease, binocular vision disorders, and neurologic eye disorders.

Someone correct me if I'm leaving out anything. Also check the website for our complete class schedule.

<a href="http://www.ico.edu/ico2/prostud/accpro2/firsty2.html" target="_blank">http://www.ico.edu/ico2/prostud/accpro2/firsty2.html</a>

hope thats helpful

The pre-requisites for optometry school can be found <a href="http://www.opted.org/info_profile1.cfm" target="_blank">here</a>. They are somewhat similar to medical school pre-requisites although some schools have additional courses required (calculus, anatomy, psychology, statistics, biochemistry) and some schools require only 1 semester of organic chemistry.

mike,

I have friends in the ICO class of 2001. They got married and were in the same class.
I had an interview at ICO for the class of 2002, but I decided to go in to dentistry at Marquette so I never went to the interview.

Big Poppa dds

Ah yes, the intra-class hook ups. We had plenty of those in our class too. I've lost count of them all.