NOVA or PCO (SALUS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drummergirl1719

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello i applied to NOVA in july but i havent gotten an interview because they are waiting for my OAT scores.....that was the only school i applied for but i have a chance to update my application through optomcas and i dont know if i should apply to PCO (SALUS)? which school has a harder curriculum? which school is better? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I got in to both PCO and NOVA and am currently trying to decide which one to go to. From what I have looked up, PCO is pretty solid academically, with more externship opps than most other schools and a lot of clinical experience. NOVA it seems is progressively getting better academically and has nice facilities.

I am from PA, so the Fla sunny weather is making the decision difficult.

If anyone else has any other pros/cons about PCO and NOVA, that'd be great.

I can't speak for PCO since I didn't apply there, but having attended the NOVA interview, I found that their publication, The Visionary, to be extremely useful in helping me get a feel for the school's curriculum, strengths, personality, etc.:

http://optometry.nova.edu/

On the left side of the page, you can click on "Publications" to access the magazine's archive. I think it's worth taking the extra time to look through it as you may be potentially spending the next 4 years of your life there. It would also, I reckon, help you during the interview process when they ask you why you chose to apply to NOVA.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello i applied to NOVA in july but i havent gotten an interview because they are waiting for my OAT scores.....that was the only school i applied for but i have a chance to update my application through optomcas and i dont know if i should apply to PCO (SALUS)? which school has a harder curriculum? which school is better? thanks

Double check if you can even apply to more schools after the initial submission of your optomcas application...
From what I understand the academic update is simply to provide details of your inplanned courses.

JC196, You can add schools at any time after the initial submission...........and it has nothing to do with the academic update.

Drummergirl, don't go to a school because you think it's easier than others. You'd be starting out with the wrong attitude. They all have a very heavy curriculum and if you are not ready to study harder than at any other time in your life you will have problems.

Last edited:
advice2u thanks for the advice, and i think i sent the wrong message when i asked which school is easier. i've always been a studies girl and i know i have to work hard to make my dream of becoming an optometrist come true. i just wanted to know which school has a tougher curriculum. my first choice has always been NOVA. =)

As a student at Nova in my 3rd year, I can tell you that this is a very, very, very hard difficult program....1st semester is pretty awful and not well organized, but by 2nd year the program becomes better run, with profs that will do pretty much anything to help you. I cannot speak at all of PCO, but we are a big family here, and I enjoy it here lumps and all....

As a student at Nova in my 3rd year, I can tell you that this is a very, very, very hard difficult program....1st semester is pretty awful and not well organized, but by 2nd year the program becomes better run, with profs that will do pretty much anything to help you. I cannot speak at all of PCO, but we are a big family here, and I enjoy it here lumps and all....

do you mind if i ask you how you did on your first two years? i know that you take a test each week in your first semester. how many test per week do you take in the 2nd semester? also i wanted to ask you, what do you know about the POP program? if it was offered to you would you have accepted it?
thanks

I'm sorry, but it seems to me that you are trying to find the easiest possible road to become an optometrist. You need to go where you feel is a good fit for you and just suck it up!