Nova Patel vs Midwestern Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandemicpremed97

Reaction score
Hi,

Any feedback on Midwestern vs Nova Patel? I've considered % of students that go into non primary care (higher % is more appealing because I do not know if I want to do primary care), cost of attendance, mcat/gpa required to get in, how old the schools are, and complex pass rates. It feels like a close call right now and I think any other factors I haven't considered may help me make the decision. Thank youuu.

Members don't see this ad.

Midwestern is the better, more-connected school, but that price tag is probably the worst of any medical school out there. I don’t know if it’s worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Midwestern is the better, more-connected school, but that price tag is probably the worst of any medical school out there. I don’t know if it’s worth it.
how much better is it than nova? i know that nova is surprisingly older than mw az... but mw az is a branch of mw illinois, which is the fourth oldest do school. mw would cost 40k more. thank you!!

midwestern price tag is not worth it. I have several friends at the school (was going to attend myself as well) and they all lament their decision to attend. Im really glad I didn't end up there. Much of med school is what you make of it and I am sure you will do fine at NOVA. midwestern does not offer anything more to justify the price tag

When you graduate tuition might be 80000 a year there because they increase it by a few thousand each year. that is straight up ridiculous

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how much better is it than nova? i know that nova is surprisingly older than mw az... but mw az is a branch of mw illinois, which is the fourth oldest do school. mw would cost 40k more. thank you!!
The thing is that Nova is on the Goro bad boy list, so AZCOM is potentially a much better place to end up in terms of quality. That being said, $50k after interest capitalizes is a lotttt of money. However, I can’t necessarily say that the quality necessarily outweighs the cost since Boards and Beyond and anki will ultimately be your teachers in med school anyways. Surely there are other factors that may affect your decision on this like location, family, where you want to match for residency, and specialty preference.

The White Coat Investor would say that the cheaper school is almost always the better option—especially since the salaries are identical in the end.

The thing is that Nova is on the Goro bad boy list, so AZCOM is potentially a much better place to end up in terms of quality. That being said, $50k after interest capitalizes is a lotttt of money. However, I can’t necessarily say that the quality necessarily outweighs the cost since Boards and Beyond and anki will ultimately be your teachers in med school anyways. Surely there are other factors that may affect your decision on this like location, family, where you want to match for residency, and specialty preference.

The White Coat Investor would say that the cheaper school is almost always the better option—especially since the salaries are identical in the end.

Thanks! Do you know where Goro said that by chance? I actually found a list that someone attributed to Goro in which nova is ranked top 5:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 10.09.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 10.09.00 AM.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 59
midwestern price tag is not worth it. I have several friends at the school (was going to attend myself as well) and they all lament their decision to attend. Im really glad I didn't end up there. Much of med school is what you make of it and I am sure you will do fine at NOVA. midwestern does not offer anything more to justify the price tag

When you graduate tuition might be 80000 a year there because they increase it by a few thousand each year. that is straight up ridiculous
yeah there's no way i can go unless i get the military scholarship, i have no aid from parents and im personally a broke student. Looking into selling my soul to the military rn

ohp nevermind i just found what you referred and it's recent:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 10.17.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 10.17.12 AM.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 84
Thanks! Do you know where Goro said that by chance? I actually found a list that someone attributed to Goro in which nova is ranked top 5:
Those are by far the 5 worst DO schools, and I think that is what Goro is saying.

Edit: that is a sarcastic comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user