Nova SE-COM secondary question. Help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBlue129

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Why do they ask for a list of all the schools (MD+DO) that I'm applying to??

2. I read in their instructions that a letter from a DO is REQUIRED (as opposed to strongly recommended as is listed on aacomas). Is that true? So if I have letters from MDs that invalid?

Members don't see this ad.

GoBlue129 said:

2. I read in their instructions that a letter from a DO is REQUIRED (as opposed to strongly recommended as is listed on aacomas). Is that true? So if I have letters from MDs that invalid?

I know at my interview they mentioned the number of schools that I applied to ...... the interviewer said something like this "Your desire to be a DO is clear in that you applied to 13 osteopathic schools and only 2 allopathic ones". He didn't ask, but then I told him why I applied to those two, and he seemed satisfied.

I had a really great letter from an MD, so I sent that along with my DO letter. They didn't mention it, so I don't think they care, as long as you have one from a DO.

Hope that helps some.

required, in most cases, prolly means just that... it's required.

Members don't see this ad :)
GoBlue129 said:

1. Because they want to know

2. If the instructions said it is required, then it is required.

I am sorry for the sarcasm, but use some common sense people. Good luck to you though :luck:

I am working on the NSU secondary now and am considering not even filling out the section with all of the medical schools I am applying to. Not only am I applying to two osteopathic schools along with two dozen allopathic, but I don't think that a school should necessarily judge an applicant's motivation or potential for becoming a great physician - DO or MD - by the types of medical schools they have applied to. What if someone is an especially strong applicant and realistically needs to apply to a small number of DO schools, as opposed to MD schools? I don't think that DO school adcoms should hold this against an applicant.

I am sure that part of the reason that they are asking is because not only do they want to know about your desire to become a great physician, but they also want to have a group of people who are dedicated to the osteopathic philosophy. Although all the schools I applied to were osteopathic, I was still heavily questioned on the Osteopathic Principles, Wether or not I believed in OMM, the History of Osteopathic Medicine, and also my individual dedication to THEIR school.

Some questions included:
If you get accepted to more than one school, how do we know that you are going to choose us? What can we do to convince you? Why osteopathic medicine? A brief history of Osteopathic Medicine from its origination? Do you know specific dates? What examples of OMM have you seen/read about? Etc.

In the end, I think having integrity is very a important trait for any medical practitioner. I think that it is only ethical to answer ALL the questions to the best of your ability. Regardless, you made the decision to apply to both schools --so you must already have a good answer to they "why both" questions, as it is inevitable that they will be asked.

What if someone is an especially strong applicant and realistically needs to apply to a small number of DO schools, as opposed to MD schools? I don't think that DO school adcoms should hold this against an applicant

I do wonder why you would apply to SO many allo schools and only 2 osteo schools...I hate hearing people use osteopathic medicine as a backup when there are many qualified applicants who truely believe in our philosophy. If someone is that STRONG of an applicant, why would they apply to 2 dozen allopathic schools...and on the same line, if this applicant is strong and apparently wants/prefers allopathic, why apply to any osteopathic at all?

kaikai128 said:
I am sure that part of the reason that they are asking is because not only do they want to know about your desire to become a great physician, but they also want to have a group of people who are dedicated to the osteopathic philosophy. Although all the schools I applied to were osteopathic, I was still heavily questioned on the Osteopathic Principles, Wether or not I believed in OMM, the History of Osteopathic Medicine, and also my individual dedication to THEIR school.

Some questions included:
If you get accepted to more than one school, how do we know that you are going to choose us? What can we do to convince you? Why osteopathic medicine? A brief history of Osteopathic Medicine from its origination? Do you know specific dates? What examples of OMM have you seen/read about? Etc.

In the end, I think having integrity is very a important trait for any medical practitioner. I think that it is only ethical to answer ALL the questions to the best of your ability. Regardless, you made the decision to apply to both schools --so you must already have a good answer to they "why both" questions, as it is inevitable that they will be asked.

I do wonder why you would apply to SO many allo schools and only 2 osteo schools...I hate hearing people use osteopathic medicine as a backup when there are many qualified applicants who truely believe in our philosophy. If someone is that STRONG of an applicant, why would they apply to 2 dozen allopathic schools...and on the same line, if this applicant is strong and apparently wants/prefers allopathic, why apply to any osteopathic at all?

hi. unrelated to the original post, but I was wondering at which schools you encountered the more in depth questions about Osteopathic medicine, history, etc... that u mentioned? THANKS :)

I applied to 8 allopathic schools (all of which I listed) and a handful of DO, I was invited for an interview just the same. Don't worry about it. You have enough to worry about already. If they are really that concerned about having only people who are more interested in osteopathy than becoming a good physician, then my guess is they'll have a hard time finding people who are being truthful in saying so.

kaikai128 said:

Well, I am a strong applicant overall, but by no means stellar. I am a somewhat older applicant, have racked up a significant amount of academic and professional experiences, and have an MCAT score significantly above the average for osteo schools. I just want to be a physician, plain and simple. But because of some of the lackadaisical attitude that I had during college, many MD schools are writing me off immediately. Ostoepathic schools are somewhat more forgiving, which is why, given the rest of my qualifications, I feel that I am a pretty solid applicant to DO schools. In a perfect system, DO schools would only get applicants who are well-educated about osteopathic principles and philosophy (which I am) and are genuinely interested in osteopathic medicine for what it is. But the reality of the situation is that DO schools are backups for many applicants, and many ppl manage to slip through the cracks and end up at DO school when they prefer the MD degree. Is it fair that they took the place of an applicant who was truly interested in osteopathy and wanted a DO degree more than they did? No, it is not fair. But which part of this whole medical school admissions game is?

jeesum....

just send the list. I did. I had 23 schools I applied to and most were allopathic. I had nothing to hide and they know that already. Put down the info mail it in and hope you get an interview.

Besides you can lie if you want and not send in the list...or a full list...or whatever. They won't know or won't be able to find out...but its kind of an integrity issue. They wanted to know...so I gave it to them. It NEVER came up again.

Robz said:
jeesum....

just send the list. I did. I had 23 schools I applied to and most were allopathic. I had nothing to hide and they know that already. Put down the info mail it in and hope you get an interview.

Besides you can lie if you want and not send in the list...or a full list...or whatever. They won't know or won't be able to find out...but its kind of an integrity issue. They wanted to know...so I gave it to them. It NEVER came up again.

Good advice, Robz, I think I will just send in the entire list. I don't want to make it seem like I have anything to hide. Like you mentioned, it probably won't be an issue anyway.

Fusion said:
I am working on the NSU secondary now and am considering not even filling out the section with all of the medical schools I am applying to. Not only am I applying to two osteopathic schools along with two dozen allopathic, but I don't think that a school should necessarily judge an applicant's motivation or potential for becoming a great physician - DO or MD - by the types of medical schools they have applied to. What if someone is an especially strong applicant and realistically needs to apply to a small number of DO schools, as opposed to MD schools? I don't think that DO school adcoms should hold this against an applicant.
Fusion and all other applicants out there -
They ask you b/c they want to know if you would dare lie to them. They have the AACOMAS netowrk on thier side and AMCAS. They KNOW the schools you apply to and if they catch you in a lie (on the app or in interview) then negative points to you. They actually don't care how many you apply and where, they just want to see if you would lie to their face. A NSU professor on the admission com told me this... *wink*

Amygdala said:
They have the AACOMAS netowrk on thier side and AMCAS. *wink*

no way.
they can't know nor would they take the time to find out. how could they crack into AMCAS and see what allo. schools you're applying to?
sneaky sneaky :D

just send them the list. i had about half and half osteo and allo...if you have reasons for attending their school, then it will be clear to them you want to be there. they did not see it as a problem when i interviewed. it is not all about MD vs. DO...location, rotation sites, faculty...you want to find a school that fits
your needs. be honest.
i am assuming that if you dont have a DO letter then you havent shadowed one. if thats the case, take the time to go and see what youre getting yourself into before you shell out $200,000 and commit the rest of your life to this profession. i think it should be required for all DO schools to ask for a DO letter, it lets them know youve taken the time to talk to someone who can teach you things about the profession that you cant learn from books and articles. good luck.

just be honest. i wrote all of the allo and osteo schools i applied to about 35 schools total...they did not question me about it...in actuality, they assumed that i would apply to my allopathic state schools...

i believe they asked thiese questions for statistical purposes...
good luck

jp2004
NSU class 2009 :)

I applied to 31 medical schools, 9 of which happen to be D.O. schools. I applied to every school on the east coast that I thought that I would attend if accepted. My first priority was to be a physician and although I believe in, and like, the philosophy and methods of Osteopathy, there are more important factors involved with my choice in a medical school. Factors like finances, schools for my children in the area, and quality of clinical training. I was in the second group of interviewees at NSU even after listing all 31 schools on their app and during the interview they mentioned it, along with the fact that they understood many people apply to many schools to maximize their opportunity of entering medical school. I explained the rest and they were satisfied. I think the most important thing that adcomms at Osteopathic Medical Schools want to know, as I have stated before, is not whether you are using D.O. as a backup or not. But rather, if you do end up with Osteopathic Medicine will you be a proud, and more importantly, contributing member of the profession. If you are bitter and believe Osteopathy to be a lesser art of medicine than you surely won't be. The bigger problem that the OP faces now is that it is late in the season and so the question of your motivations comes more into question. Are you sincerely late in finding Osteopathy, or in applying in general, or are you now applying out of desperation? This is more important than the number or types of schools that you have applied.
This is what I believe and I wish you good luck.