Nova Southeastern - AA Program as an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLPreMedGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering, if I was accepted into the Nova Southeastern University Anesthesiology Assistant Masters program with my GPA, but not into medical school, would this program act as a SMP? I guess what I am trying to say is:

Would this increase my GPA for medical school acceptance.

I am asking because this would be an option for me, considering the fact that Med School is my main goal.

As Quoted from Nova's website regarding the AA program, "This person would perform the same job as the NA but would be readily able to go on to medical school if appropriate."

I want to know if this is a valid option for me if my credentials are not up to par for an M.D. school.

Thank you for your inputs.

Members don't see this ad.

No. That program is great if you want the job of anesthesiology assistant. It won't help a bit getting you into med school. You'd have to also do an SMP.

The Nova AA department doesn't get to vote on what gets people into med school.

Best of luck to you.

Does it matter what Masters you get?

Just thinking because I know the program its self is not tied to any Medical School, nor does it offer acceptance to a Medical School once completed. I was just wondering if this could potentially count as a graduate GPA and if would be factored into a Med School Application.

In regards to
The Nova AA department doesn't get to vote on what gets people into med school.
I know they cant make the decision on who gets accepted. The program it self is saying as a "Added Benefit" the student make continue to apply to Medical School if they like.

Does it matter what Masters you get?
Yes. You have to show academic prowess under a heavy load of hard science before a med school will take you seriously. If your stats are low, then you have to do more undergrad or a real SMP.
I was just wondering if this could potentially count as a graduate GPA and if would be factored into a Med School Application.
Sure, it counts as grad GPA, but grad GPA isn't taken seriously like undergrad GPA and MCAT. Grad programs aren't standard, and there are plenty of easy masters degrees. Other than SMPs, masters degrees are ECs, not GPA enhancement.
In regards to I know they cant make the decision on who gets accepted. The program it self is saying as a "Added Benefit" the student make continue to apply to Medical School if they like.
If you want to work as an gas asst, then spend the money and the 27 months and do the program. There would be no point whatsoever in doing this program if you don't want the job on the other side. Do you realize it's $33,600 tuition per year? If you'd be borrowing cost of attendance, that's $100k in student loans.

If you want to get into med school, and your stats are weak, then work on your GPA and your MCAT and/or do an SMP.

If you don't know which you want to do, or you're afraid of trying to get into med school and failing, address those issues in cheaper and faster ways than a 27 month program. Such as spending a ton of time in a clinical setting, as a volunteer, asking tons of questions.

Best of luck to you.