Nova Southeastern BS/DO or UC Berkeley Pre-Med?

tealsea

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I hope you're staying safe and healthy.

I am a current senior in high school right now. I've narrowed down my college decisions to two schools (Nova Southeastern BS/DO Program and UC Berkeley), but I'm still having trouble deciding. Any advice would be much appreciated.

For context, I have been very set on becoming a doctor for a few years now. I don't see this changing in the future. I'm also an international student living in the U.S. on a Visa. This means that while around 42% of regular applicants get accepted to U.S. medical schools each year, only 18% of international applicants get accepted to U.S. medical schools.

Pros and Cons List:

1. NOVA SOUTHEASTERN 4+4 BS/DO PROGRAM
  • Pros
    • I have the option of applying out to other medical schools (not bound to NSU College of Osteopathic Medicine)
    • Around 80% of students in the BS/DO program make it to the DO school --> almost guaranteed acceptance into the DO school
    • I have the option of doing either the 7-year (3+4) or 8-year (4+4) program
    • $20K/year scholarship
    • Overall quality of life: less stressful since I am basically guaranteed a seat in the DO school
    • Smaller class sizes
    • Minimum MCAT score required to enter NSU DO College is 502
    • Academics are easier than Berkeley
  • Cons
    • I would prefer to have an MD degree over a DO degree.
    • I need to maintain a minimum cumulative science (all BIOL, CHEM, and PHYS courses) GPAs of 3.5 at all times throughout the program. Failure to do so will result in probation from the dual admission program; and if repeated, will lead to suspension from the dual admission program. --> I intend to work hard to maintain a 3.8+, but there is a chance this won't work out.
2. UC BERKELEY PRE-MED
  • Pros
    • I am in the College of Letters & Science, so I can major in virtually anything I want.
    • Prestige/ranking (#4 university in the world)
    • If I somehow decide to change my career path, I will still have lots of other options at Berkeley.
    • I really like the Bay Area!
    • I love Berkeley's liberal values and activism.
  • Cons
    • Of all Berkeley students who take the MCAT, only about 60% get accepted into medical school (UC Berkeley Medical School Acceptance Rates | Career Center) --> chance that I won't get into MD or DO school at all after undergrad (this is made more difficult by the fact that I'm an international student)
    • Difficult to get research opportunities as an undergrad (it has more students than resources)
    • STEM teachers grade on a curve --> pre-med prereq courses are difficult --> I'm concerned about a low GPA
    • Difficult to make connections with professors in large STEM courses (500-600 students/class) for recommendations
    • Out-of-state tuition + high Bay Area housing costs
    • Overall quality of life: stressful since pre-meds are competing to get into MD/DO school

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

take the BS/DO. If they let you apply to schools without forfeiting your acceptance into the DO program then you can still throw in some MD apps.

lets say you bomb a MCAT or drop GPA you will wish you kept the BS/DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO cause you’re probably not getting into an md school as an international student unless if you’re a superstar

Reactions: 1 users
every MD interview i was at had someone from either UCLA or UCB. n=1 experience though

Hi everyone! I hope you're staying safe and healthy.

I am a current senior in high school right now. I've narrowed down my college decisions to two schools (Nova Southeastern BS/DO Program and UC Berkeley), but I'm still having trouble deciding. Any advice would be much appreciated.

For context, I have been very set on becoming a doctor for a few years now. I don't see this changing in the future. I'm also an international student living in the U.S. on a Visa. This means that while around 42% of regular applicants get accepted to U.S. medical schools each year, only 18% of international applicants get accepted to U.S. medical schools.

Pros and Cons List:

1. NOVA SOUTHEASTERN 4+4 BS/DO PROGRAM
  • Pros
    • I have the option of applying out to other medical schools (not bound to NSU College of Osteopathic Medicine)
    • Around 80% of students in the BS/DO program make it to the DO school --> almost guaranteed acceptance into the DO school
    • I have the option of doing either the 7-year (3+4) or 8-year (4+4) program
    • $20K/year scholarship
    • Overall quality of life: less stressful since I am basically guaranteed a seat in the DO school
    • Smaller class sizes
    • Minimum MCAT score required to enter NSU DO College is 502
    • Academics are easier than Berkeley
  • Cons
    • I would prefer to have an MD degree over a DO degree.
    • I need to maintain a minimum cumulative science (all BIOL, CHEM, and PHYS courses) GPAs of 3.5 at all times throughout the program. Failure to do so will result in probation from the dual admission program; and if repeated, will lead to suspension from the dual admission program. --> I intend to work hard to maintain a 3.8+, but there is a chance this won't work out.
2. UC BERKELEY PRE-MED
  • Pros
    • I am in the College of Letters & Science, so I can major in virtually anything I want.
    • Prestige/ranking (#4 university in the world)
    • If I somehow decide to change my career path, I will still have lots of other options at Berkeley.
    • I really like the Bay Area!
    • I love Berkeley's liberal values and activism.
  • Cons
    • Of all Berkeley students who take the MCAT, only about 60% get accepted into medical school (UC Berkeley Medical School Acceptance Rates | Career Center) --> chance that I won't get into MD or DO school at all after undergrad (this is made more difficult by the fact that I'm an international student)
    • Difficult to get research opportunities as an undergrad (it has more students than resources)
    • STEM teachers grade on a curve --> pre-med prereq courses are difficult --> I'm concerned about a low GPA
    • Difficult to make connections with professors in large STEM courses (500-600 students/class) for recommendations
    • Out-of-state tuition + high Bay Area housing costs
    • Overall quality of life: stressful since pre-meds are competing to get into MD/DO school

Any advice would be much appreciated!
You should watch some of kaurbeauty and her brother's videos. She went to UCB and talks about her premed experience. They didn't seem to have the best experience from what I remember.