jxr902

10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
If posed with the question.. Would you go to NYCOM or NOVA 2 DO schools with a great reputation and impressive match lists, or to a lower end MD program like Universidad Central del Caribe, which would you chose? Obviously there are differences and potential career implications one could have with the two different degrees... But in terms of education experience which is better.. A top DO school or a lower end MD program.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think it would be hard to answer your question, except for people who had actually attended those schools. Looking at the match lists is a good idea...if you want to practice in Florida and Nova has good matches there, then that must mean the Florida hospitals think the education provided there is good.
If you plan to treat a primarily Spanish-speaking population, then perhaps med school in PR would be helpful. Checking out the USMLE board pass rate might help you guesstimate the academic prowess of the entering students +/- the teaching at these schools...though for a DO school not all the students even take USMLE so you might not get an accurate view.

dozitgetchahi

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I would choose the American DO schools in a heartbeat. Having an American MD/DO degree makes a whole host of things easier - residency matching, licensure, etc.

Believe me, among the physicians/residents/med students/pre-meds/etc. I've dealt with, the one thing everybody seems to be suspicious of in terms of medical education is the general quality of caribbean medical schools. (DO schools seem to have a certain "stigma" associated with them as well, but it seems to be lessening rather than intensifying.)

About the Ads

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Puerto Rico
Universidad Central del Caribe School of MedicineBayamon, PR2011-2012Ponce School of MedicinePonce, PR2008-2009University of Puerto Rico School of MedicineSan Juan, PR2008-2009San Juan Bautista School of Medicine
(Accreditation effective beginning academic year 2007-2008
for all students enrolled at that time)
Caguas, PR2009-2010*

disagree with doesitgetchahi on the basis that Universidad Central del Caribe is an LCME accredited medical school (i.e. it IS a US medical school). Puerto Rico is a US territory and it has 4 accredited medical schools, apparently. If I were the OP I would just to further research on the schools as much as possible (i.e. look at their USMLE pass rates, where the students matched, if possible talk with students to find out what they like vs. dislike about the schools, etc.). Also I would take a long hard look at the expense of attending each school. Also, think about where you want to practice when you are done. I wouldn't worry too much about the DO vs. MD thing...I don't think there is much stigma to having a DO any more...it would limit you as far as getting some MD specialties like derm, but DO's have their own radiology and derm and ortho residencies, etc. so it kind of doesn't matter, does it?

anatomyjane

is a vampire.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
think to yourself what you want out of medical school and then research the schools thoroughly to see which matches your expectations the most. As mentioned previously, don't just see it as MD vs. DO, but as to what makes you happy....

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.