Nova Student & recent NBEO scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtle2020

NSUCO 20/20
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://optometriceducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/ASCO-Report-2016-2017.pdf

I used SDN a ton when I was deciding where to go for optometry school and going through the whole process. Everyone is different, but for me, personally, Nova was 100% the best place.

As a second year now, I can wholeheartedly say that I chose the right school and have no regrets. Nova optometry has really been better than I could have imagined. The professors are incredible and admin are extremely helpful and devoted. Clinically, NSU has really excelled for me. I really feel like I own my clinical skills and knowledge. So much so, that I have been offered a job already post-graduation by two different doctors and the opportunity to buy out their practices. It’s been a dream.

So to all of you hardworkers applying out there, go for the gold! Really think rationally and deeply about what school is best for you. For me, I wanted to go where I would be the most clinically strong. I definately feel like I chose the right place, and the proof is in the job offers (and NBEO board scores).

I just wanted to throw in my two cents and hope this is helpful for anyone still looking for motivation or undecided between schools. I stayed away from the new schools because I knew they wouldn’t be able to prepare me for boards as well as an established school (see their failing pass rates - part 1 is the hardest). Even so, established institutions like PCO and SCCO have really faltered, so also keep in mind what students tell you at interviews about the curriculum and clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
So much so, that I have been offered a job already post-graduation by two different doctors and the opportunity to buy out their practices. It’s been a dream.
That's really cool! I got there for undergrad and I want to go the optometry school. How did such an opportunity come about?

https://optometriceducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/ASCO-Report-2016-2017.pdf

I used SDN a ton when I was deciding where to go for optometry school and going through the whole process. Everyone is different, but for me, personally, Nova was 100% the best place.

As a second year now, I can wholeheartedly say that I chose the right school and have no regrets. Nova optometry has really been better than I could have imagined. The professors are incredible and admin are extremely helpful and devoted. Clinically, NSU has really excelled for me. I really feel like I own my clinical skills and knowledge. So much so, that I have been offered a job already post-graduation by two different doctors and the opportunity to buy out their practices. It’s been a dream.

So to all of you hardworkers applying out there, go for the gold! Really think rationally and deeply about what school is best for you. For me, I wanted to go where I would be the most clinically strong. I definately feel like I chose the right place, and the proof is in the job offers (and NBEO board scores).

I just wanted to throw in my two cents and hope this is helpful for anyone still looking for motivation or undecided between schools. I stayed away from the new schools because I knew they wouldn’t be able to prepare me for boards as well as an established school (see their failing pass rates - part 1 is the hardest). Even so, established institutions like PCO and SCCO have really faltered, so also keep in mind what students tell you at interviews about the curriculum and clinic.
Hey! thank you for this post. It was very helpful. Do you know if there is additional boards to take if you decide to practice in FL?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m so excited to start at Nova! As a second year do you have any advice for finding housing in Florida? I’m coming from out of state and was thinking about doing an apartment, not really sure when to start looking though

Reactions: 1 user
That's really cool! I got there for undergrad and I want to go the optometry school. How did such an opportunity come about?
I started working (7 hrs/week) second year as a technician for a practice nearby. I started working only after knowing I could handle it after kicking butt first year. This side hustle turned into a job opportunity. The other NYC doctor I met at a scleral lens conference that occurs annually in Fort Lauderdale. So networking and a part-time tech gig really worked out for me. It’s humbling and reaffirming at the same time.

Hey! thank you for this post. It was very helpful. Do you know if there is additional boards to take if you decide to practice in FL?
Other than boards and the licensing process, nothing that I know of right now. They’re working on a 3-year look back so students don’t have to re-take boards to get licensed. Currently, any OD who wants to practice in Florida can do so without re-taking boards as long as it’s been within 7 years. This law is unique to Florida. I don’t really have a positive or negative opinion on it.

I’m so excited to start at Nova! As a second year do you have any advice for finding housing in Florida? I’m coming from out of state and was thinking about doing an apartment, not really sure when to start looking though
I highly recommend Sundance, Rolling Hills, and Royal Grand. There is also a health professions housing facebook group where people post housing and roommate info! Best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 users