NOVA Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc AdamK in 2006

Now 2 year UB Med Doc
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current NSUCOM students:

I just wondered if a car is necessary for the first and second years. I'm thinking of living off-campus, but not too far away.

I'm probably going to buy a condo or townhouse. Where are the best places to live? How about Lauderhill, Sunrise?

See you guys in late July

AK

Members don't see this ad.

Hey are there any NOVA students or people accepted that can help me out

Doc AdamK,
Check out the 2006 class website under "Incoming Students" and "Housing Guide."
<a href="http://www.nsucom2006.com" target="_blank">NSU 2006 Webpage</a>

Most all of the areas many of the students live are described/priced, including which apt. complexes are close enough that a car isn't needed. There is lots of info on the site!

Good luck.
Kate

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a couple of classmates that TRIED to get by without a car -- but it didn't last long. They ended up getting one ASAP. Florida, as a whole, is not a state with an advanced public transporation system. So if you don't have a car, you are literally at the mercy of your friends. And while it might be fun to bum rides off people the first week of orientation, people will get cranky about it REAL fast when the stress hits.

I would definitely recommend having a car if at all possible.

G. MS-III (NSU)

That's what I thought

I just thought I could save some money by not getting a car

Thanks

AK

You need a car period. There is no way around this. I also suggest not buying a condo unless you have money to burn. You may not stay in Ft. Lauderdale for all four years and may wish to move to Miami, Tampa, or Orlando for your 3rd year core rotations. It is an unnecessary expense, not to mention a big pain to buy your own place if you only stay in Davie 2 years. You are better buying a new car that will last you throughout your med school and residency years. This is just my opinion. I posted about this on the m2006 web site under "free advice"
Hope this helps
Good luck

Miami MS4 at NOVA