NOVA vs Midwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkbarnes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both NOVA and Midwestern and have had a hard time deciding which school to attend. I want to attend the school with the better clinical program where I would see the most patients, see patients earlier and have the most clinical experience when I graduate. I live in Arizona now so I am used to the hot weather and I would be happy staying here. I would also be happy moving to Florida though. I would appreciate your input on the two schools, especially those of current students! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

midwestern (lol) is accredited too now..

how much does it cost to go to them? have you compared that factor between the two already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I know both are accredited. I could get in-state tuition for florida so it would be about $5K cheaper each year. But regardless, I want to attend the better school where I will hopefully receive the best education. So besides the money difference, what do you think about both schools' clinical programs?

midwestern (lol) is accredited too now..

how much does it cost to go to them? have you compared that factor between the two already?
Is it really? The program directory I downloaded had it still listed as un-accredited!

I still say Nova as it's been established much longer. Just my opinion.

Yes! According to their website, they were granted the classification of accredited on April 24, 2013.

http://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/az-optometry.html#Accreditation

Any thoughts on NOVA's clinical program vs Midwestern's? I noticed Midwestern has more technology in their clinic because at the interview we toured the clinic for an hour and at NOVA we toured it for 15 minutes really quick. But maybe NOVA has just as much technology that wasn't in the tour? Help!

Any thoughts on NOVA's clinical program vs Midwestern's? I noticed Midwestern has more technology in their clinic because at the interview we toured the clinic for an hour and at NOVA we toured it for 15 minutes really quick. But maybe NOVA has just as much technology that wasn't in the tour? Help!

I'm almost positive that Midwestern does have newer technology/equipment than NOVA does. It's definitely a benefit to get exposed to those equipment early on but most clinics don't have those newer equipment since they are really expensive.
As far as clinic rotations go, I think NOVA may have an edge in their externship sites. In particular, the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is one of the best eye hospitals in the country according to U.S. News & World Report.

In the end, both schools will give you a good education in both the classroom and in the clinic. It's really up to you to put in the work to be a great optometrist. In my opinion, the most important part is choosing a school that you'll feel most comfortable at and enjoy your 4 years there.

I'd pick NOVA if it is cheaper. I'd pick NOVA even if they were the same price.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! According to their website, they were granted the classification of accredited on April 24, 2013.

http://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/az-optometry.html#Accreditation

well, it honestly seems like you are kind of set on AZCOPT, so why not just go there? you're already settled in AZ, liked Midwestern's clinic and tours, etc., probably used to AZ's weather and all of that, so why not just go there?

well, it honestly seems like you are kind of set on AZCOPT, so why not just go there? you're already settled in AZ, liked Midwestern's clinic and tours, etc., probably used to AZ's weather and all of that, so why not just go there?

Good point. I see what you are saying but I think I'd rather go to NOVA though. I just want to go to the better clinical school but it is so hard to figure out which one that is since I have only heard limited info on both clinical programs. All the doctors I worked with told me to def go to NOVA because they haven't heard of AZCOPT which makes sense. I wish a NOVA student would comment on this and help me out. Is anyone else having a hard time deciding between two schools on opposite sides of the US?

This is just an opinion, I'm not a student at either school, but I did interview at both of those schools. I was much more impressed overall with Midwestern. I got the feeling that people really cared about my education while I was there. Everything was nice, the people were friendly, and the clinic seemed to be very well renowned and established in the area. The only downside I could see was that the patient base would probably not be very diverse. Lot's of white, retired old people in the area.

I didn't feel this way at all at NOVA. I kind of felt like I was invisible and that optometry school students were at the bottom of the totem pole there. The equipment seemed run down in the rooms we visited and the people there just seemed less caring. (except for Fran the receptionist, she was really great). I'm sure that NOVA being an older, more established school has it's pros, but I just didn't feel as happy while I was there.

I ended up decided to go to neither of those schools, but had it come down to it I would have picked Midwestern. It's a tough decision, but in the end you'll graduate an OD either way.

P.S. I'm from the west as well

Hello!! I'm a 2nd year at Nova. I absolutely love it - the professors are amazing and have so much experience. I don't have any clinic experience yet but from talking to the 3rd and 4th years, they get to see a lot of patients from the islands, which means a lot of disease, trauma, cataracts/glaucoma, etc. They have said when they talk to their friends from other opto schools, Nova students get more experience because they see all of these different things.