Nova vs. UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nova or UF?

• Total voters

Hellokioo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was accepted to both UF and Nova and I have till the end of this week to decide. I'm trying to not pay both deposits because I don't want to keep throwing money away, I'm going to have to decide eventually and I don't want to hold a spot that could to another applicant who really needs it. Here's my dilemma:

Nova - I live 10 mins away from it, its my comfort school, I'm going to be close my home, family, friends etc. My life will not change so drastically. The bad thing is that its a pricey school as compared to UF, plus some students say they are having clinical problems in there.

UF - Instate tuition so its my cheapest option, a better reputation, and students seem to come out really well prepared out of there. The only thing is that I'm not sure I'm going to like Gainesville and I dont want to put myself in a town for 4 years where I might be miserable, but then again, perhaps I will love it, who knows. I have been to Gainesville before and I don't like it so much.

I honestly don't know what to do, one sec I will be like "Yea I'm going to go to Nova" then the next minute I will be like "No I want to be a Gator". this whole back and forward is driving me insane and I cant decide. what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats again. I rather be miserable for 4year of school ( if) than be miserable extra years of paying off debt. UF.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone! I was accepted to both UF and Nova and I have till the end of this week to decide. I'm trying to not pay both deposits because I don't want to keep throwing money away, I'm going to have to decide eventually and I don't want to hold a spot that could to another applicant who really needs it. Here's my dilemma:

Nova - I live 10 mins away from it, its my comfort school, I'm going to be close my home, family, friends etc. My life will not change so drastically. The bad thing is that its a pricey school as compared to UF, plus some students say they are having clinical problems in there.

UF - Instate tuition so its my cheapest option, a better reputation, and students seem to come out really well prepared out of there. The only thing is that I'm not sure I'm going to like Gainesville and I dont want to put myself in a town for 4 years where I might be miserable, but then again, perhaps I will love it, who knows. I have been to Gainesville before and I don't like it so much.

I honestly don't know what to do, one sec I will be like "Yea I'm going to go to Nova" then the next minute I will be like "No I want to be a Gator". this whole back and forward is driving me insane and I cant decide. what should I do?

Assuming its not dangerous, the location of the school doesnt matter that much. Youre gonna be in class and inside studying most of the day for the next 4 years, even if the city in question was extremely fun it wouldnt matter. If anything a fun city would be a distraction thatll take away from your performance at d school.

The tricky part is prioritizing/balancing being near family and saving money. Nova is more costly but closer to your family than UF. How far from your family is UF? Whats the price difference between the schools? Answering these questions will help you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get an accurate breakdown of the expenses from the schools' websites. Do not take into account living expenses, only tuition and fees and equipment. Then compare both schools' costs. If UF is less than $25k expensive, than I would just honestly live at home. Remember living expenses at a place different from your home will probably cost at least $45k. If the cost of living in Gainesville (which you should check) is high, then that $45k number could be even higher. I would check and see whether that NOVA clinical problems rumor is actually true, by talking to students. Good luck, seems like you got a tough decision to make. I wouldn't rush the decision.

Reactions: 1 users
This is not even a question.
UF hands down... what are you thinking! :greedy:

I think even if UF was slightly more expensive, I'd go to UF.

I truly depends on family. Having a family is important to me and I want it close. If its important to you in your life then maybe you should consider it along with the costs or rent vs free with the fam. I say this with reservations, as I am wait-listed at UF (Perhaps I'm biased a bit). But regardless of that, I would hate to be away from my family longer than I would have to.

I would chose UF, its a super strong school.

Get an accurate breakdown of the expenses from the schools' websites. Do not take into account living expenses, only tuition and fees and equipment. Then compare both schools' costs. If UF is less than $25k expensive, than I would just honestly live at home. Remember living expenses at a place different from your home will probably cost at least $45k. If the cost of living in Gainesville (which you should check) is high, then that $45k number could be even higher. I would check and see whether that NOVA clinical problems rumor is actually true, by talking to students. Good luck, seems like you got a tough decision to make. I wouldn't rush the decision.

This is great advice I never even thought of this b4 Hellokioo, when you factor out living expenses at NOVA using ADEA's 2013 official guide to dental schools Cost of attendance break down they roughly come out to be about the same price. Lol GL deciding buddy.

If you dont own the ADEA book with the financial breakdown and want me to send you some pics of it just let me know.

If I were you I would choose UF. I feel it has a better reputation.

This is great advice I never even thought of this b4 Hellokioo, when you factor out living expenses at NOVA using ADEA's 2013 official guide to dental schools Cost of attendance break down they roughly come out to be about the same price. Lol GL deciding buddy.

If you dont own the ADEA book with the financial breakdown and want me to send you some pics of it just let me know.
Hey buddy thank you very much for the information, I actually have that book and I'm aware of this lol this is literally a very tough decision

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, i live in south fl too and will be applying to both nova and UF. Ideally i would go to UF for the in-state tuition, but since i am applying this summer im going to apply out of state as well. what schools did you apply to oos as a florida resident?

Where did you decide Hellokioo?? I don't think you can go wrong either way!

Where did you decide Hellokioo?? I don't think you can go wrong either way!

I couldn't really decide on time and I didn't want to make a sudden decision so I paid both deposits. I'm planning on going back to Gville just to check out the city one more time. Hopefully after that I'll have a final decision! They are both great school and I know I can't go wrong with either one of them but I still feel like I need more time to think about it

I couldn't really decide on time and I didn't want to make a sudden decision so I paid both deposits. I'm planning on going back to Gville just to check out the city one more time. Hopefully after that I'll have a final decision! They are both great school and I know I can't go wrong with either one of them but I still feel like I need more time to think about it
I totally understand, I struggled with my decision and actually just decided on UF this weekend. I went to undergrad at UF and stayed to work after graduation so I've been living here for 9 years, it's not the most happening place in the world but I've enjoyed my time here. Obviously the university is the biggest part of Gainesville, but there are a surprising number of good bars and restaurants… nothing like South Florida but you can have a good time! Not that you will have much free time, ha! If it helps your decision in terms of cost, I spoke with several current UF students recently and they said tuition has been steadily increasing 5% every year. Check the math, but Nova might not be that much more expensive by the end of 4 years if you factor those increases in.
I might just have confused you more, but I would be happy to give you some recommendations for things to do if you come back to visit Gainesville! And congratulations on your acceptances! :)

I totally understand, I struggled with my decision and actually just decided on UF this weekend. I went to undergrad at UF and stayed to work after graduation so I've been living here for 9 years, it's not the most happening place in the world but I've enjoyed my time here. Obviously the university is the biggest part of Gainesville, but there are a surprising number of good bars and restaurants… nothing like South Florida but you can have a good time! Not that you will have much free time, ha! If it helps your decision in terms of cost, I spoke with several current UF students recently and they said tuition has been steadily increasing 5% every year. Check the math, but Nova might not be that much more expensive by the end of 4 years if you factor those increases in.
I might just have confused you more, but I would be happy to give you some recommendations for things to do if you come back to visit Gainesville! And congratulations on your acceptances! :)

Thank you so much! You are really nice and I'll deft ask you if I have any questions in regards to where to go once I'm up there :). I'm also thinking about doing the whole shadowing a dental student for a day, perhaps that will help as well!

Just looking at the cost --> UF

If for some reason the cost doesn't matter to you and you really want to go to NOVA, then I know plenty of people who went with Nova.

UF!!! Plus Gainesville isn't that bad (coming from a nole!)