Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merkman320

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi what does everybody think of NOVA? LIKES?DISLIKES? I just received request for payment...has anyone recieved supplemental or does anyone know when supplementals come out for the school?

Members don't see this ad.

merkman320 said:
Hi what does everybody think of NOVA? LIKES?DISLIKES? I just received request for payment...has anyone recieved supplemental or does anyone know when supplementals come out for the school?

isnt the supplemental online along with the payment option this year. ?? it should show you how to pay and fill in the supplemental in the email they sent out :)

Members don't see this ad :)
merkman320 said:

I recieved an email about filling out the supplimental and online payment for nova. I think it was about a week after they recieved it (but cannot remember for sure). I then recieved a letter in the mail asking for an interview on September 14. I can let you know more about it when I go.

LIKES :thumbup: : location, who doesn't want to live where the weather is warm all year round and you are three miles from the beach. Although we may spend the next four years our lives studying, atleast we can do it while feeling the sand between our toes! From what I read, most students like the faculity and environment. Also the option to take the boards after year one is a major plus. First summer you do not take classes. It will be nice to get used to the rigerous course load, become settled and then take a short break before diving head first into dentistry for the next 40+ years.

DISLIKES :thumbdown: : humidity can really get you in the summer if you are not used to it, but personally I would rather be sweating than burried in a snow jacket. Cost is the largest deterrent. If I can get into my state school (UNC) the money factor may play a big role in my decision.

I also heard they have mandatory attendence...hey munch, whats the benefit of taking the boards after first year? when do students normally take it? thanx.

Envision said:
I also heard they have mandatory attendence...hey munch, whats the benefit of taking the boards after first year? when do students normally take it? thanx.

I am not 100% sure; I know that when I talk to students already in school they like the option of being able to take it after year one instead of year two. I think that is likely due to the content on the test. For example, I think it would have been easier to take DAT after my sophomore year. Because all of my lower level science classes.....gen chem and ochem particularly were fresh. Instead, it had been 2 years since I had taken general and it ended up being one of my lower scores. Likely, most material from part 1 is covered in year 1 and therefore easiest to take immediatly instead of waiting a year. This is only my guess. But as I already stated, many students I know in dental school like this option.

The school is beautiful and the people all are very social. The atmosphere between teachers and students and administrators is good, and the school has a generally good teacher to student ratio. The facilities around the school, like the clinic, the recreation center and gym, are all very nice, and you take classes with some students in other health professional schools, which some people like or dislike, but it does give ytou more people with whom to interact. The community is very nice, and there are usually lots of patients with the money to pay for procedures. the school has a good history of getting students into specialties, and has specialties in all the different dental at their school that you rotate through.

On the negative side, if you aren't into hot and humid weather, you'll hate several months out of the year living in Fort Lauderdale. You'll also be tagging a good $100-300 a month just on air conditioning depending on where you live. Great nightlife...but pricey. Very warm beaches, but no waves for the surfers. Not a wonderful place to find apartments for cheap since everything is being converted into condos...especially near the school. Also, you spend a good amount of time doing lab work for your patients...whereas at other schools, you sometimes skip doing all the monotonous lab stuff after you've learned how to do it a few times, and then you just send your stuff out to labs to have the work done.

Hey guys, I am a D1 at Nova and I love it here. The people are really nice and our class gets along really well. There is time to go out and party a little bit but at the same time things do pile up on you fast. I think every dental school is the same though. We have like every other health professions school here too so you meet lots of people outside of your class which is really cool. They are VERY strict on attendance though so if you don't think you want to go to every class then you may not want to go here. The beaches are great but once school starts you won't see them much. It is very muggy if you aren't used to it. Its also very expensive (I'm at $67,000 for this year). I am very happy that I chose this school though and most, if not all, of my classmates feel the same way. Unless you will save lots of money by going somewhere else I would come here if given the opportunity.