Nova's DO/DMD Dual degree program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eBayGod

I'm a GIRL
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone

i just wanted to know if anyone knew about this program/knew anyone in it? also, if you apply to the program, and you don't get in, can you still get into the dental school? don't want to apply if my chances of getting in the program are small and then automatically not considered for the regular dmd program.

thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone

i just wanted to know if anyone knew about this program/knew anyone in it? also, if you apply to the program, and you don't get in, can you still get into the dental school? don't want to apply if my chances of getting in the program are small and then automatically not considered for the regular dmd program.

thanks all.

I am more familiar with this program... and its still fairly new (they still haven't gotten their first class to graduate yet ~ I think 1 more year).

When I interviewed at nova, I was a little interested, I asked a few questions about it.

Basically, You apply to either DO or DMD program, then, AFTER YOU GET ACCEPTED, you let them know your interested in the joint DO&DMD program, and they'll watch your performance during the first semester (or was it entire first year? I don't remember).... If they see your performing well, they'll enroll you in the joint program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am more familiar with this program... and its still fairly new (they still haven't gotten their first class to graduate yet ~ I think 1 more year).

When I interviewed at nova, I was a little interested, I asked a few questions about it.

Basically, You apply to either DO or DMD program, then, AFTER YOU GET ACCEPTED, you let them know your interested in the joint DO&DMD program, and they'll watch your performance during the first semester (or was it entire first year? I don't remember).... If they see your performing well, they'll enroll you in the joint program.

This is pretty interesting. Do you know of any other schools that have a program similar to this off the top of your head?

awesome! thanks a ton!

This is pretty interesting. Do you know of any other schools that have a program similar to this off the top of your head?

Well... Case has MD+dentist (5 year I think).... but I believe its much harder to get into, especially since you need to apply to it with having both MCAT + DAT.

Honestly, If you want MD, go MD, don't bother with dentistry. I don't see a whole lot of "bussiness" advantage to having both degrees. Matter of fact, the only way to utalize the doctor+dentist combo is if you go 100% primary care (Primary care doctor + general dentist), this will be an effective combo especially if you are in an undeserved location / area with few healthcare providers.

The DO/DMD application is sent in an email to accepted students in both programs. You apply after you have been accepted, but before school starts. If you are accepted, you start out day one in the program (no monitoring). If you find it is not for you, you can revert back to the original program you were accepted to(you can't have applied/been accepted to med school and then switch to dental or vice versa)

The DO/DMD application is sent in an email to accepted students in both programs. You apply after you have been accepted, but before school starts. If you are accepted, you start out day one in the program (no monitoring). If you find it is not for you, you can revert back to the original program you were accepted to(you can't have applied/been accepted to med school and then switch to dental or vice versa)

you sure? The 2 interviewing me (Dr. Zarr and the admission lady) both said there is a watch-period to see how you perform.

you sure? The 2 interviewing me (Dr. Zarr and the admission lady) both said there is a watch-period to see how you perform.

Yes, there were 3 of them in the class this past year. 2 of them were dental applicants, and the third a medical applicant. They all started day 1 with the rest of the dental students. The whole first year is with the dental class (plus some additional med classes). the next couple are with the medical school class, and the rest I am unsure of (6 yr program)

Well... Case has MD+dentist (5 year I think).... but I believe its much harder to get into, especially since you need to apply to it with having both MCAT + DAT.

Honestly, If you want MD, go MD, don't bother with dentistry. I don't see a whole lot of "bussiness" advantage to having both degrees. Matter of fact, the only way to utalize the doctor+dentist combo is if you go 100% primary care (Primary care doctor + general dentist), this will be an effective combo especially if you are in an undeserved location / area with few healthcare providers.

If I were to do a program like this, it wouldn't be to have a business advantage. I'm genuinely interested in learning the skills of being a doctor and a dentist. I agree with what you are saying though. I'm not sure how willing I would be to do 6 years of such rigorous study, but it's something interesting to look at anyway. Appreciate the info. Will definitely pass on Case's... not going through another standardized test for this application cycle, haha.

If you don't get accepted into the program can you still get accepted into the dental school for the regular DMD program??

If you don't get accepted into the program can you still get accepted into the dental school for the regular DMD program??

They already awnsered your question...

doesn't seem true based off their site...

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: Now you're just being funny!

It says the EXACT same thing PreDocTalk said...and if its not for you, you can revert back to your original program...

Now I see the importance of RC scores.

not exactly, because then there would be no point for this to be on the application:

"Interested individuals can apply to the NSU medical or dental schools through their respective centralized application service (AACOMAS or AADSAS) and must indicate an interest in the D.O./D.M.D. Dual Degree Program on the NSU Secondary Application."

eBayGod, I don't mean to sound like an ass...

But shouldn't you contact the school directly about this? I know they don't always answer phones, but they do respond to emails.

You should contact the school directly about sensitive information about this especially since you aren't agreeing with what SDN members are telling you.

not exactly, because then there would be no point for this to be on the application:

"Interested individuals can apply to the NSU medical or dental schools through their respective centralized application service (AACOMAS or AADSAS) and must indicate an interest in the D.O./D.M.D. Dual Degree Program on the NSU Secondary Application."

And what does the very next paragraph state? If that isn't clear enough, I would agree with DentalWorks and call the school, so maybe someone can verbalize it to you.

Good luck.

It would be interesting to see how the dual degree plays out. I wonder if there are any existing practices. I can see the advantage of being in a rural area but being a dentist alone will keep you very busy in this situation. How would you setup your medical records/software, use both dentrix and some other medical software? Would your dental assistants be medical assistant also? Down the street from me there is a womens health and dental clinic. You have to be unique to survive in California.

other than the bashing, thanks for the help!

Can you get a license to practice medicine at the completion of this program, just as you can at the completion of a 6 year OMFS+MD residency?

Can you get a license to practice medicine at the completion of this program, just as you can at the completion of a 6 year OMFS+MD residency?

from what they told me... the DO portion gears you for Family Practice, so answer = yes.

You will be a full-fledged licensed family doctor (who can also perform dentistry)

Hello,

I wanted to follow up regarding this slightly outdated thread about the do/DMD program at nova. I am currently in my 5th year of the 6 year program. This past May we graduated our inaugural class. One graduate went to Cleveland Clinic, Fl for internal medicine and the other landed an OMFS residency. There are 8 of us throughout the 6years of the program and I believe the lack of numbers is primarily due to a lack of knowledge that the program exists and what to do with it after graduating.

Medical and dental applicants once accepted to their primary field may opt to enroll into the DO/DMD program BEFORE their first semester begins. If at any time the student wishes to not complete the program they will only be able to go back into the first for which they applied.

Here's how it works:
1st year: dental 1st year (D1) plus clinical/ osteopathic lab classes
2nd year: medical 2nd year (M2)
3rd year: M3
4th year: D2
5th year: D3 with specific months designated for M4 elective rotations
6th year: D4 with specific months designated for M4 elective rotations

The 5th and 6th elective rotations can be used for ANY medical specialty that interests you. The goal of the program is to produce doctors who are able to stand in the gap which divides patient care. Medical doctors are generally clueless about the oral cavity other than cranial nerve inspection + pharyngitis/ tonsillitis. Likewise, Dentists are being thorough practitioners if they continue to monitor blood pressure and keep a medical history up to date. ( this is my opinion). Streamlining healthcare is an undeniable need not only in the USA but worldwide. I believe this a route to equip healthcare providers for the future of medicine.

If you are interested further in the program contact Dr. Abby Brodie through the dental school ([email protected]). I will also do what I can to help you out. God bless!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Goodaar,

Thank you for this information. It's true, I've never heard of this program before but it sounds interesting.

Did you have to take the MCAT and the DAT when you initially applied or do they just consider the DAT alone?

You can take either the mcat or DAT. You just apply normally either to the dental or medicine side. There's a box on the secondary application you can check for more info. When you get accepted into either of the individual programs you can then opt to go dual.

does a person have to pay dental and medical tuition?

I forget if I marked on the secondary application for if I wanted to be considered for the dual degree program, and I have a feeling that I marked "no." Does anyone know if they will change that on my application if I call the admissions office?

You can take either the mcat or DAT. You just apply normally either to the dental or medicine side. There's a box on the secondary application you can check for more info. When you get accepted into either of the individual programs you can then opt to go dual.
Thank you!!

I forget if I marked on the secondary application for if I wanted to be considered for the dual degree program, and I have a feeling that I marked "no." Does anyone know if they will change that on my application if I call the admissions office?
I would probably wait to see if you get accepted first, then if so, tell administration that you'd like to speak with someone about the program. (See prior post for contact info)

Tuition is paid for whichever year is your primary year. First year you'll pay dental, second and third year medical... As of now the sixth year tuition is considered "free" meaning you only pay some small fees. There's is some question as to how long the univ. will continue doing this.

Hi, Goodaar

After the six years of school, people will be ready to practice general dentistry?
For the medical part, do people need to attend residency just like regular MD or DO graduates?

I believe a residency is required for licensure to practice medicine.

http://medicine.nova.edu/dodmd/

Yes and no. If you want to do anything with the medical DO you will need to continue training after graduation. This can take two paths- one year internship or residency.

Every residency's first year is called "internship". This is a general year of minimally paid training where you are a doctor and working as a doctor, but under another physician's "wing". After intern year you will hone down into more residency specific rotations ie. if its a ob/gyn program you'll spend more of your time in that specific setting.

If you just want some experience as a trained physician you can only complete the intern year and not a formal residency program. Here you will have less options for employment as most hospitals and private practices require a board certified (specialty certified) physician. This a good option, though, if you do not wish to spend the extra 2-3 years in further training and perhaps want to be somewhere more rural.

Outside of being a practicing physician there are many more options like working on the business, political, legal... side of things. If these perk your interest then You may not want the complete training.

Hi, Goodaar

After the six years of school, people will be ready to practice general dentistry?
For the medical part, do people need to attend residency just like regular MD or DO graduates?
Yes, after 6 years you can practice general dentistry.

Some medical residencies allow night shadowing. This would allow you to practice dentistry, make some money and attend a residency at the same time.