novels to improve verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pipacus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
have any of you found that reading good books..ie those that are highly regarded by the times, etc..are a good way to improve your verbal score?

Members don't see this ad.

Look over the previous AAMCs as they have a list of books they used. Same with Princeton tests, verbal practices. However, I spent majority of my time reading higher class magazines, and editorials, like NYT, Atlantic, Economics, etc. Also check out Gladwells website (www.gladwell.com). It has some pretty interesting, and MCAT caliber articles. At the end just read a lot, but practice at the same time using VR passages.

Pipacus said:
have any of you found that reading good books..ie those that are highly regarded by the times, etc..are a good way to improve your verbal score?

Unless the books contain multiple choice questions in AAMC format at the end, then you're wasting your time.

Doing well on verbal is about answering the questions, not understanding the passage. It's not reading comprehension.

ADeadLois said:
Unless the books contain multiple choice questions in AAMC format at the end, then you're wasting your time.

Doing well on verbal is about answering the questions, not understanding the passage. It's not reading comprehension.

If you have a few months before the mcat, it may be wise to pick up a book to help your reading skills, or just something to engage your critical thinking skills. By far the best way though is to do practice tests...I used the examkrackers method and I think it is by far the best in terms of finishing and scoring in the double digits. The more you practice, the better your reading technique will be, and the better you will be at eliminating wrong answer choices which by itself helps your score. I have an unsused copy of ExamKrackers 101 verbal passages so if anyone is interested in buying, let me know yo.