November Elections & Pharmacy Advocacy

Started by Caverject
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Caverject

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know of a pharmacy website that endorses candidates and then gives reasons why we should vote that person? For some reason, I thought the APhA website did this but I can no longer find it. All I can find is a site that shows who is running. Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've always wondered which side of the aisle supports pharm interests more... although I think they're just about equal as far how much they screw things up.
One of the local pharmacy political action committees came to visit and give a presentation last year. They said things tend to go better for us when Republicans are in charge. Also, things go well when we work with the Medical Association because they have a lot more money.
 
Ahhh, just do what I do. Vote for the NRA endorsed canidates.

....and they will bring us Medicare Part D....and then 11 months later old people hit the "donut" hole......

everyday it seems one of my customers fall into the gap and have a mini heart attack when hearing their Rx costs.

I don't know which party supports pharmacy better, but the part D program has not been ideal, I do know that.
 
Ahhh, just do what I do. Vote for the NRA endorsed canidates.

Because the right to carry a loaded weapon 1 inch from my crotch is much more important than anything else in the world... things that make you go hmmmm...
 
Because the right to carry a loaded weapon 1 inch from my crotch is much more important than anything else in the world... things that make you go hmmmm...
why do you antagonize everyone into a poltical debate when possible? Fact is, there are many more republican leaning pharmacists than there ever will be liberal leaning pharmacists.

You can look thru my past posts and figure out that NO I am not a republican either.
 
why do you antagonize everyone into a poltical debate when possible? Fact is, there are many more republican leaning pharmacists than there ever will be liberal leaning pharmacists.

You can look thru my past posts and figure out that NO I am not a republican either.

Because people are stupid.

I don't think politicians (even democrats) are trying to take away people's guns, so to vote for some crazy Jerry Falwell Christian coalition candidate just because the NRA says he likes guns is bad for America and is bad for what America stands for.... because that Jerry Falwell RUsh Limbaugh Christian coalition politician will probably want to take away more freedoms than any democrat.

I am liberal but I don't vote all democrat, if there was a socially liberal, yet fiscally conservative candidate I would vote for him/her in a second.

Bush was supposed to be fiscally conservative but he has created more government and spent more money than any other president... doesn't sound like a republican does it? But he does read the bible and pray, hates gays and abortions so I guess our country is doing good, we need more like him.

My question is what if the NRA supported a candidate who thought it was a good idea to take all the gays and send them to Europe, outlaw all birth control pills because it can cause a fertilized egg to not implant in the uterus just like plan B, and make all women who have had an abortion tattoo the word sinner across their forehead would you still vote for that candidate?
 
why do you antagonize everyone into a poltical debate when possible? Fact is, there are many more republican leaning pharmacists than there ever will be liberal leaning pharmacists.

You can look thru my past posts and figure out that NO I am not a republican either.

See what you did... you made me antagonize everyone into a political debate when I should be studying for my last final of my life that I am taking in about 5 hours... Jerk!
👎
 
Our republic elects idiots that are smooth talkers with good sound bites rather than actual intellectuals. None of them care about pharmacists because our lobby isn't big enough. This will never change. Stop electing people from either of the two major parties and maybe this will change. Thanks to the homogenation of thought and ideas the internet has created, I doubt even more it will change anytime soon. It's like you have two, powerful, almost organic beings that are unwaivering and assimilate people into themselves ruthlessly. No independent thought allowed.

Politics in the US is stupid.
 
So the other night - Florida had its debate between Davis and Crist (and Linn if you include our confused reform fellows).

About 3 minutes in - I was convinced that the next couple of years are going to suck. It’s the same feeling I had in the last presidential election. You had Bush and Kerry - Dumb and Dumber comes to mind as I reflect. I was in the decision booth, and knew I was choosing a *****.

I honestly don’t think it matters which side you land on. You could be Republican -

- They screwed all of the "Major" topics of their platform - ie budget, Medicare reform
- They waste time legislating bulls*t - like gay marriage and stem cell research
I mean really - we don’t spend time legislating regular marriage do we?
Being against stem cells is great - but they don’t care about all of the babies being killed overseas. Does God love only American children? Why is it okay for stem cell research everywhere else? If you are against it, be against it - not just when its convenient.


-Or- you could be a Democrat

- A party with no actual platform, unless you can say "What are the Republicans for... yeah... we're against that!!!" is a platform

- Completely untrustworthy - with the exception of a few, most democratic candidates are simply dirty (Kerry comes to mind, and bill for that matter)

- Claim to be for the minorities, but only because its easy to point a finger at the white, rich, Republicans. Just because you don’t want the rich to pay more taxes doesn’t mean you’re a racist.


In the end - its choosing between people you know are idiots but have convictions (Republicans) and those that have no convictions but are dishonest (democrats). There is reform out there - but until they start showing proof of what they say, no one is going to believe them. Like having an oil tycoon running for president under a green banner? What a dumb idea!!! I hate politics - It was fun venting though...

~above~
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the end - its choosing between people you know are idiots but have convictions (Republicans) and those that have no convictions but are dishonest (democrats). There is reform out there - but until they start showing proof of what they say, no one is going to believe them. Like having an oil tycoon running for president under a green banner? What a dumb idea!!! I hate politics - It was fun venting though...

~above~

Thats fine I agree with the conviction part... but aren't all politicians dishonest(no one party over the other)?
Oh and yeah when democrats say they are for minorities doesn't mean republicans are racist, but in the same way when Republicans say they are for family value it doesn't mean Democrats are against family values or pro divorce.
 
One of the local pharmacy political action committees came to visit and give a presentation last year. They said things tend to go better for us when Republicans are in charge. Also, things go well when we work with the Medical Association because they have a lot more money.

Ok...so with the Republicans having been in charge, we can count the things they have accomplished:
1. Medicare Part D - a horrible bill (oh & by the way our President Bush came out & said the country needed to be protected from being gouged by pharmacists) - so that is a resounding NO against them (or is it just Bush?)

2. The Patriot Act which put pseudoephedrine behind the counter & made pharmacists acting policemen in a battle which has will not be won by those of us who don't have enough time to do the job we already have. - so that is a resounding NO against them (or is it just Bush?)

3. Vetoed stem cell research, which is going on in Europe (& fortunately in CA due to our governor) & is a hope for figuring out how our immune system works so we can alter disease rather than treat the end outcome. - so that is a resounding NO against them (or is it just Bush?)

I can't really say which is the better party with regard to pharmacy. However, I do know who the individual person who has been the underlying common denominator to all three of these travesties. I judge candidates by not just what they say, but who they affiliate with. Our governor has his own issues....but, he's a Republican who openly disagreed with Bush & took the stem cell issue out of federal hands & kept it not just in the US but also in CA. I wish he could fix the other two....but he can't.
 
(oh & by the way our President Bush came out & said the country needed to be protected from being gouged by pharmacists)

Oh my... Did our president say that? I thought he was so smart and has a MBA from Harvard... surely he realizes that the pharmacy is the one marking up the drug the least in the supply chain. Too bad pharmacists can't fill his pockets like the pharmaceutical industry does. If we could fill his pockets maybe he would realize the pharmaceutical industry and the wholesalers are making the fat cash.

So he doesn't like pharmacists, but at least he likes doctors.

"Too many good docs are getting out of business. Too many OB/GYN's aren't able to practice their, their love with women all across this country"
 
Oh my... Did our president say that? I thought he was so smart and has a MBA from Harvard... surely he realizes that the pharmacy is the one marking up the drug the least in the supply chain. Too bad pharmacists can't fill his pockets like the pharmaceutical industry does. If we could fill his pockets maybe he would realize the pharmaceutical industry and the wholesalers are making the fat cash.

So he doesn't like pharmacists, but at least he likes doctors.

"Too many good docs are getting out of business. Too many OB/GYN's aren't able to practice their, their love with women all across this country"

Yes, Muse! He absolutely did say that - about last Feb...I could find it if I looked - he tried to blame this whole Part D mess on us!!!!!

Think about that when you vote for his buddies!!!!! They blame us for the price of medications!!!! Or what it now is costing them while they fall thru the donut hole!

Oh please - the real problem was our leadership did not step up & address the issue....so that leads us to another issue - why then do we contribute to our national organizations?????? Why indeed???? Well...I won't necessarily not continue to contribute, but I will be critical & I'd encourage you all to be proactive!

We have been misused by our leadership - both national & professional! Listen to what they say throughout the year - we have been sullied many times. (oh....do I have an opinion???🙄 )
 
We have been misused by our leadership - both national & professional! Listen to what they say throughout the year - we have been sullied many times. (oh....do I have an opinion???🙄 )

It's funny. I used to be a big supporter of APhA. While yes they do lobby on our behalf and all, I believe the "lets all just get along" rhetoric has run it's course. I am quickly finding myself falling more inline with the lines and positions of NCPA.
 
Goes to show you who has more money and more lobbyist. I am sure Big Pharma spent millions of dollars lobbying our congressmen and women during the whole Medicare part D debacle. As you can see there are absolutly no price controls or caps placed on Big Pharma. They can sell there drugs for what ever they see fit. Its retail Pharmacy that shouldered the burden of explaining Medicare part D to everyone. It's retail Pharmacy that is getting hosed when it comes to reimbursement. Our wonderful president thinks Pharmacists are crooks?
 
Goes to show you who has more money and more lobbyist. I am sure Big Pharma spent millions of dollars lobbying our congressmen and women during the whole Medicare part D debacle. As you can see there are absolutly no price controls or caps placed on Big Pharma. They can sell there drugs for what ever they see fit. Its retail Pharmacy that shouldered the burden of explaining Medicare part D to everyone. It's retail Pharmacy that is getting hosed when it comes to reimbursement. Our wonderful president thinks Pharmacists are crooks?

Yup - he said that - in just about those words!
 
Goes to show you who has more money and more lobbyist. I am sure Big Pharma spent millions of dollars lobbying our congressmen and women during the whole Medicare part D debacle. As you can see there are absolutly no price controls or caps placed on Big Pharma. They can sell there drugs for what ever they see fit. Its retail Pharmacy that shouldered the burden of explaining Medicare part D to everyone. It's retail Pharmacy that is getting hosed when it comes to reimbursement. Our wonderful president thinks Pharmacists are crooks?

If only we could vote him back in for another 4... oh what a world it could be... 🙄

~above~
 
Thats fine I agree with the conviction part... but aren't all politicians dishonest(no one party over the other)?
Oh and yeah when democrats say they are for minorities doesn't mean republicans are racist, but in the same way when Republicans say they are for family value it doesn't mean Democrats are against family values or pro divorce.

Very good points... I do believe though that Republicans tend to be white, rich, and Christian. That is a gross generalization - and I mean no offense by it. When you look at the legislation that coincides with church values - you find the Republican platform and the church go hand in hand. This is a very dangerous affiliation in my book. The president asserts his viewpoints with the backing by God and Church - if by what you say allows others to think God desires it - you are removing an important separation between church and state.

I still can’t get over the blanking of Stem Cell research, its just surreal. The reasoning used to shoot it down was not logical - it was in accordance with church doctrine... I can’t believe this doesn't bother people???

~above~