novice....plz advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MDJatt here

i ll be starting university this fall, just completed high school
can anyone please guide me what all is included under extra-curriculars which are later significant in the admission to a med school for eg: volunteer, research........wat else???
'Cuz i don't wanna waste any time, and like to start these ASAP
Any response will be appreciated
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

MDJatt here said:
i ll be starting university this fall, just completed high school
can anyone please guide me what all is included under extra-curriculars which are later significant in the admission to a med school for eg: volunteer, research........wat else???
'Cuz i don't wanna waste any time, and like to start these ASAP
Any response will be appreciated
thanks

Do things that you will personally enjoy. Do not try to fit into a cookie cutter. Try things and stick with whatever it is that YOU like. Something over the course of your college career or your adult life, is far better than a flash in the pan for a few weeks/months.

Strive to be unique!!!!

jsnuka said:
Do things that you will personally enjoy. Do not try to fit into a cookie cutter. Try things and stick with whatever it is that YOU like. Something over the course of your college career or your adult life, is far better than a flash in the pan for a few weeks/months.

Strive to be unique!!!!
thx
i appreciate, but can you plzz be more specific in what all kind of activities can i take up in the next four years of univ.......and yea for sure i ll strive to be unique.......thx

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'm a dialect person, so I would have to wager that you aren't from the US, calling it "university." I would have to guess the UK, right?

Matth52 said:
Ok, I'm a dialect person, so I would have to wager that you aren't from the US, calling it "university." I would have to guess the UK, right?
frm Toronto,ON
right above your head on the map

Do what you enjoy. Find a few activities that you enjoy and that seem worthy of your time and stay with them over the long haul. It is the best way to work yourself into a leadership role (as the leader of an activity or group after you've been involved for a year or two).

Have fun. "What do you do for fun" is an important question at interview time.

Find an opportunity to serve others. Medicine is a service profession and a dedication to serving others is a good habit to cultivate. There are many ways to be of service. Find something that feels right for you.

You guys say do what you want to do. I'm in a business club and I think it will hurt my chances. The reason is as a doctor you should not care about money, so if they see I'm in a business club they will know I like money, and won't let me in! Also, what if I wanted an MBA and an MD (cause I do, I like medicine but I also like business, I want to do both and not compromise)! They would tell me to go be a lawyer or something because doctors can't like money.

DrZaius said:
You guys say do what you want to do. I'm in a business club and I think it will hurt my chances. The reason is as a doctor you should not care about money, so if they see I'm in a business club they will know I like money, and won't let me in! Also, what if I wanted an MBA and an MD (cause I do, I like medicine but I also like business, I want to do both and not compromise)! They would tell me to go be a lawyer or something because doctors can't like money.

Go find Shredder. He was where you are (very interested in economics) and he's on his way to Ohio State, IIRC. You might also find some compadres in the MD/MBA forum. It can be done ... docs need docs to keep an eye on the financial side ... they can't always trust the bean counters.

i did some community service type stuff that got me thinking about community welfare...and i'm tying that into an MD/MBA by saying i want to be on the administrative end of things where i can make changes to benefit said communities