1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Now that the 2006 application cycle's over...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by plainolerichie, Aug 2, 2006.

1. plainolerichie

plainolerichie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've been thinking about this for the past few weeks. The application cycle's over for 2006 and I'll be starting medical school in USC in a couple of weeks. I'm from TN and will be going out to CA (really for the first time other than my interview). Anyways, about medical school, I am scared out of my freaking mind! I'm just curious about this, is anyone else a bit worried about starting medical school. You know, the classes and living in a new city, living in an apartment for the first time, etc...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not starting medical school, but I can probably empathize with you (conversely, I'm leaving california for the first time).

I'm sure you'll love the school and surrounding city. Just relax and remember that it is a completely clean slate. Work hard and keep moving forward.
    -Dr. P.

4. Ambs

Ambs Sleeping is underrated!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi,

You are right in that medical school is an adjustment on many levels - academically, emotionally, physically, financially. But, with time, you will adjust. You have been accepted because you possess the qualities and dedication necessary for the education, training, and practice of medicine. You will certainly feel overwhelmed, homesick, stressed, and many times even down right sad. But there will also be moments when you will feel incredibly happy and motivated, an almost child-like euphoria in knowing that you are finally on your way to your chosen profession. You will meet many wonderful people as well as some not-so-wonderful people. But that's life. Medical school will teach you more about yourself and the world you're surrounded by. Remember that attending medical school is a choice of yours that has been honored and made possible. Keep a positive attitude and expect to not know everything. Do your research, remain patient, follow a regular work out schedule, and regularly call home for much-needed venting and support from family and friends. First, discovering little things, like the nearest grocery store or Target, will be joyous. Then, cooking your first meal and having classmates over will feel grand. It just takes little steps, and soon you'll be just fine. And when you're feeling particularly overwhelmed, take a break from it and do something that makes you feel happy, whether that's running or downloading music or singing. Don't be so immersed in med school that you let go of loved hobbies and interests. You will need such outlets to keep mentally healthy. And it's really important to remember that you are not the only one who is scared, apprehensive, nervous. Almost everyone else in your class will be too.

5. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  6. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am kinda nervous also... but if anyone asks, you didn't hear me say that :cool:

7. Matth52

Matth52 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Don't worry too much. You'll be comforted by the fact you will be around tons of other up-tight (former) pre-meds, hopefully some of which are SDNers.

8. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    are you mainly freaked out because now you'll graduate to the allopathic forums and move on from the preallopathic forums ;)

9. Tiger26

Tiger26 Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I graduated early to the allopathic forums, and let me tell you that it's a whole different world over there. It's like the rubics cube of forums in its intellectual intensity, but the rewards are great and the women are beautiful (so they say). I can't tell if it's the sex panther's glorious allure of gasoline aroma talking, but I say make the leap of faith to the allo forum, not just for yourself, but also for the those who have gone before and those who will follow.

10. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

congrats on your usc acceptance!

11. plainolerichie

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's not moving forums on SDN!

12. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    R U sure? It really sucks over there. They just talk about backpacks and whatnot and there are only like 2 posts a day...

13. plainolerichie

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    About backpacks, you should get a Kelty Redcloud 6650. It's a bit pricey sure but comfortable with up to 35 pounds of stuff!

14. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i'm happy with my ll.bean.... thanks

[​IMG]

15. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think 35 will be enough... ;)

16. JasonUD

JasonUD PGY-I