Now that we're 6 months away from graduation, how many procedures have you done as a current D4?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

78t87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for others going into general dentistry, how many procedures have you done and is it enough for you to feel comfortable going straight to work?

What I've done so far:
90 fillings
2 anterior RCT
8 crowns
13 full SRP
15 limited SRP
45 Exams
3 Arches rem prosth
1 bridge
15 EXT

How many have you done?
I'm feeling semi-confident and going straight to work. But hoping my confidence is not misguided.

Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever you do you won’t feel like it’s enough, and you will not feel super comfortable as a new grad. That’s okay, get some mentorship and reps and you’ll be just fine

Reactions: 1 user
42 fillings (6 class IIIs, 10 class IIs)
3 crowns
3 arches of remo
38 exams
4 NS-RCT (2 anterior, 2 biscuspid)
12 remo
15 arches SRP

I still have yet to go on external rotations so I'll get plenty of experience there. My plan to complete an AEGD residency since I've always struggle with confidence myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
100 fillings
40 units crown/bridge/onlay/inlay
7 arches RPD
5 arches CD
12 RCT (3 molars)
80 EXT (4 surgical)
6 implants placed
6 implants restored
Don't know/don't care how many exams or SRP lol

Don't feel comfortable going to practice because even tho we do a lot our school doesn't actually teach anything. Don't feel comfortable with diagnosis and treatment planning. Gonna do a good AEGD.

100 fillings
7 arches RPD
5 arches CD
12 RCT (3 molars)
80 EXT (4 surgical)
6 implants placed
6 implants restored

Don't feel comfortable going to practice because even tho we do a lot our school doesn't actually teach anything. Don't feel comfortable with diagnosis and treatment planning. Gonna do a good AEGD.
What school is this that allows you to place so many implants? At my school you have to do an implant honors program and then maybe you can place ONE implant.

What school is this that allows you to place so many implants? At my school you have to do an implant honors program and then maybe you can place ONE implant.
Midwestern AZ

Reactions: 1 users
100 fillings
7 arches RPD
5 arches CD
12 RCT (3 molars)
80 EXT (4 surgical)
6 implants placed
6 implants restored

Brag Tv Land GIF by YoungerTV

Reactions: 2 users
100 fillings
7 arches RPD
5 arches CD
12 RCT (3 molars)
80 EXT (4 surgical)
6 implants placed
6 implants restored

But how many zygomas have you placed?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
47 fillings
8 units crown/bridge
76 extraction (~10 of them being surgical)
7 quad alveoloplasty 1 frenectomy
20 prophy 22 quad SRP
1 premolar RCT
0 arches denture 0 arches partial denture

Probably will only add 2-3 more crowns and 4-5 arches dentures 0 partials 0 more endo before graduating

100 fillings
7 arches RPD
5 arches CD
12 RCT (3 molars)
80 EXT (4 surgical)
6 implants placed
6 implants restored

what do you mean by they don’t teach anything

what do you mean by they don’t teach anything
First two years of school most of my friends studied around half a day a week on top of skipping class, and that was enough to do well

100 fillings
7 arches RPD
5 arches CD
12 RCT (3 molars)
80 EXT (4 surgical)
6 implants placed
6 implants restored

I wouldn't waste your time with an AEGD, most dentistry you'll do is single tooth anyway, you can learn the diagnosis and treatment planning on the job with good CE

75 fillings
50 units crown/bridge/implant crowns
7 arches RPD
9 arches CD
6 RCT ; no molars allowed at my school :(
150 extractions; 10 third molars
hopefully get to place 2-4 implants before graduating!

and most importantly 10 zygomas placed

I am planning to complete an AEGD focused mostly on surgery stuff. With 5 months left of school, I am working up my speed and being more practical and picking my faculties' brain. I got to get my money's worth !

Realize that none of it really matters if you learned it the dental school way. I believe that if you do too many the dental school way, that it hurts you more since you're reinforcing bad habits and it can be hard to undo bad habits.

It's more important that you know the concepts and foundations of dentistry so that you may improve upon what you don't know yet, either through CE or your own thought processes. It's amazing how many practitioners can't think beyond what they are taught and don't have the problem solving skills that would be expected of someone who graduates with a DDS/DMD. For a new grad, it would definitely be more acceptable, but for dentists 10 years out, I'd expect a lot more.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users