Now that you're in, who'se getting a little scared?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lukeday99

Nooby
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys. So now that I'm into a school, not my top choice but by gum an accredited American Medical School, the true overwhelming reality of this has started to hit me. Next year we're gonna have to go and cut up dead bodies and cram our heads full of tons and tons of information. Then we're going to enter a program as essentially endentured servants, and get ground down with 80- hour work weeks. Then we'll enter into a practice without (hopefuly) too much malpractice overhead or insurance regulation of what you can and cannot do to help heal your patients.

AND WE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR PEOPLE'S LIVES AND WELL-BEING!!!!!!

So I guess what I want to know is, how do we approach this now? Where do we draw inspiration from? What does it mean to be a physician, to heal the human body, the human mind, the human emotions, the human spirit even?

And how in the hell are we going to pay for it?

I need some support, because all the people I know are falling back on cliches and similes, and it doesn't help. What do y'all feel? Hopefully something good will come out of this discussion. Best to y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel the same way, man. We're on the verge of assuming a tremendous level of responsibility, and I think that it's 100% normal to be a little bit scared. I know that I am. Yet, I'm really excited, too. Acceptance to medical school marks the end of a long, difficult (and lest we forget, ridiculously expensive) journey that only a relatively select demographic successfully completes. I'm happy and even proud to say that I made the cut, that I will be part of the next generation of physicians.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my current emotional state is a weird mixture of fear, anxiety, excitement, and pride.

Just a few more months and the hell that is medical school officially begins! Yeeeeeehaw!

Responsibility for a fellow human being's wellness, and in some cases survival, is a scary thing. Count me in the boat that's anxious but excited/honored to be going to medical school. Hopefully we all make it through in one piece.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just scared that they'll find out I'm illiterate! :eek: :D

No, actually I'm getting a little nervous about how things will be. I guess it's not the responsibility that freaks me out, it's not following instruction or procedure properly and messing something up. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to it. Should be fun. :thumbup:

Yeah, you know, it's not the med school I'm worried about. It's the responsibility and the cost. I actually think the schooling is going to be kind of fun. So, how to keep my mind about me through it? And how to not screw up?

Originally posted by lukeday99
So, how to keep my mind about me through it? And how to not screw up?

EtOH. :clap: :hardy:

I think the biggest reason it took me 4 years after graduation to apply to med school is that I just didn't feel ready for that obligation. Now I'm finally ready, after a lot of soul searching, but I am still afraid of screwing up someone's life. I think you should always be concerned, it will make you more attentive, but don't let yourself be paralyzed by unproductive fears.

yeah i totally agree - just getting into med school is a sudden realization that we're *really* on track to becoming physicians now. exhilarating and honored.

don't worry too much about getting through med school and "the future". just be optimistic, and attack the challenges as they come. also have a good time meeting and working with a bunch of very talented and interesting people while you're at it too.

(clearly idealistic on my part, but definitely don't wanna start med school already jaded.)

:)

Yep. It's time to drink.
I'll worry about all of the moral and ethical and philisophical obligations next year.
By the way, have you guys seen how much this is going to cost?:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

i am totally scared, i mean, this is serious **** right here. but its so PHAT to feel this way, after all this trying.. i finally feel successful, i feel like i made it.. and i sort of dont want this feeling to end, although i know reality will strike soon..

but, i plan on celebrating right up until that first day of school... who's with me!!

:clap:

the more you drink, the less you think!

PHAT.

This word has fallen out of favor as must be used by more future doctors.

Ok, I need to stop posting on SDN and go outside.

Goodbye.

Next year we're gonna have to go and cut up dead bodies and cram our heads full of tons and tons of information. Then we're going to enter a program as essentially endentured servants, and get ground down with 80- hour work weeks. Then we'll enter into a practice without (hopefuly) too much malpractice overhead or insurance regulation of what you can and cannot do to help heal your patients.

AND WE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR PEOPLE'S LIVES AND WELL-BEING!!!!!!

That basically sums up my feelings too. I am also worried about the pressures that will be placed on me after I graduate that might cause me to compromise someone's care. For instance trying to diagnose a complicated illness in a 15 minute office visit. I am definitely glad to be a few years older (well maybe more than a few ;) ) before I start this journey.

PHAT.

This word has fallen out of favor as must be used by more future doctors.

Ok, I need to stop posting on SDN and go outside.

Goodbye.

word up son :laugh:

Yep. It's time to drink.
I'll worry about all of the moral and ethical and philisophical obligations next year.
By the way, have you guys seen how much this is going to cost?:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Yeah, but we don't have to pay for it until later! (mmmm... later).
If you would have told me 3 years ago that I'd be accepted to an accredited US medical school, I'd have done something wildly ironic. As it is, I'm in at Albany baby! :hardy:

You're in at Albany too? When'd you get in? Boy, they sure responded fast, huh? So, now we wait on the other schools. But I'm still worried, damnit! Damnit! Damnit all to heck!