edieb said:
Good point, psychiatry is (for the most part) a bottom-feeding profession. Psychiatry residencies must recruit medical students from other nations b/c no med students want to do it. These recruite are usually with cultures much disparate than our own (i.e., India). What a shame that in a profession where empathy is very important, most psychiatrists are not even familiar with their patients' culture.
I agree that language barriers often provide unfortunate disparities in the understanding of American culture. Do not assume, however, that psychiatrists from particular countries do not often specialize in treating other patients from their native countries who have emigrated. I see specialty culture clinics all the time and often refer to them - i.e. Russian, Asian, Hispanic, Indian, etc, etc. I also see my share of foreign-born psychologists. They are often as good or better than their American counterparts.
My hospital has already over 400 applications for psychiatry residency. About one half of them are American graduates. So to say "no med students want to do it" is false.
Let's assess the approximate aptitudes of psychiatrists versus psychologists in order to see which profession should be ascendant in the health care arena:
Medical School acceptance rates are around 70 percent. Clinical psyh. acceptance rates are about 5 percent. Psychiatrists are many times the lowest achievers in their class (which I remind you admits around 70 percent). In addition, you cannot flunk out of medical school; however, clinical psychology students must pass all classes with > 80 percent; classes that are designed to be very difficult.
This is wrong on at least a few levels. Let me begin by saying that this is not an intent to insult psychology grad students. In general they are a bright group and I know from personal experience that it difficult to get in. That being said: Please everyone stop with this notion that psychology is harder than psychiatry coursewise. People are constantly comparing GPAs and other numbers and it makes no sense. Psychology bachelors degrees often require no biology, no physics, no organic chem, no calculus, no physiology, no general or physical chem, etc. These classes are harder than psychology classes. The GPAs, while similar for psych grad school, reflect a completely different curriculum. In general, a 3.8 obtained in a B.A. in psychology is not as difficult as a 3.8 GPA obtained in premed.
You say clinical psychology students must pass all classes >80%. You know that this is completely false. You say nobody can flunk out of med school. I can name 10 people I know off the top of my head from my class alone.
You say psych classes are designed to be difficult. Please don't think that med school makes things a breeze once you get in. It is probably the hardest set of curricula to pass aside from some complex Ph.D. level science degree curricula (physics, propulsion, etc). You know perfectly well that a large portion of psychology grad courses are psychological testing (projective, intellectual, etc), history of psychology, therapy modalities (existential, psychodynamic, insight oriented, brief, family, etc) These are not terribly difficult in general. Yes, statistics and research classes can be very difficult. I think it is something at which many, but not most, clinical psychologists excel.
It is absurd that psychiatry argue that psychologists cannot prescribe safely. Do we prohibit psychiatrists, many of whom receive <2 years of training in psychotherapy, from performing this complex treatment? Psychiatry's arguments are akin to their old arguments against psychology: If you let psychology do _____ (pick one: assessments, psychotherapy), people will die...
You know as well as I do that this is a completely different ballgame. Don't be so high-horsed in your attempts to gain prescription privilages. Psychologists are fighting a very similar scope-of-practice battle vs. social workers, as you should. I haven't seen arguments from psychologists saying that they should be allowed to perform therapy and testing, to "help poor psychiatric patients," which is the argument psychology is using in their scope-of-practice increase quest.
P.S. I remind you that it could be argued that it was physicians that contributed to the early roots of psychotherapy.