Now What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon62781

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay...

All my stuff is into ERAS. Now what?? Do I wait to be contacted by programs, or should I initiate the contact?? I ask because I am applying to programs far away from my home, and I just happen to be in that state right now.... I would love to interview now and save myself the whole trip back.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay...

All my stuff is into ERAS. Now what?? Do I wait to be contacted by programs, or should I initiate the contact?? I ask because I am applying to programs far away from my home, and I just happen to be in that state right now.... I would love to interview now and save myself the whole trip back.

Any suggestions?

wait a few weeks to a month for the program to contact you. if you're serious about a program, then after awhile you can contact them.

sometimes programs won't give an interview to a deserving applicant because they don't think they're serious about the program based on geography - like someone from california applying to a bunch of southeastern schools, for instance.

if you contact them to let them know you're serious, then they may be more inclined to give you an interview.

unfortunately, programs won't really care about disrupting your travel schedule. as inconvenient as it may be for you, it would probably look bad to contact them too early.

Most interview offers come in in November to set up interview dates in late November, December, January. I think its too early to be too agressive. Some program directors probably haven't even started looking at ERAS files yet. I contact programs that I really wanted interviews at but in which they probably thought I was "geographically impaired". I didn't do this until late December. Probably should have done mid-December but I did get one reply.

Good Luck