douny

10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Hi everyone, I am new to this ite which was recommended by one of my friend. I have recently finished an NP( nurse practitioner) program but want to go to med school. After couple research it seems I will have to start from scratch... which doesn't make sense for me can anyone share their thoughts...
I have looked into some post-bac programs in order to get ready for the MCAT so far the one that requires the least amount of time is Goucher College in MD.. does anyone has an opinion about this program/school...

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
douny said:
Hi everyone, I am new to this ite which was recommended by one of my friend. I have recently finished an NP( nurse practitioner) program but want to go to med school. After couple research it seems I will have to start from scratch... which doesn't make sense for me can anyone share their thoughts...
I have looked into some post-bac programs in order to get ready for the MCAT so far the one that requires the least amount of time is Goucher College in MD.. does anyone has an opinion about this program/school...
Goucher has a good reputation. But the goal shouldn't necessarilly be the one that requires the least amount of time, it should be the one that gets you into the school of your dreams.

OP
D

douny

10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Law2Doc said:
Goucher has a good reputation. But the goal shouldn't necessarilly be the one that requires the least amount of time, it should be the one that gets you into the school of your dreams.
I know, thanks for the reply though. The reason I am why I am looking for something short is both considering current responsibilities and my age....

About the Ads

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
Did you check out the carribean schools? THey may waive some of your requirements since you have an NP.

OP
D

douny

10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
NRAI2001 said:
Did you check out the carribean schools? THey may waive some of your requirements since you have an NP.
thanks but I think it will be a little difficult to come back and do my residency here. what i think I will do is take the prerequesite classes then apply to take the MCAT

OP
D

douny

10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
douny said:
should I be better off sign up for a post-bacc program or take the classes on my own???

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
douny said:
thanks but I think it will be a little difficult to come back and do my residency here. what i think I will do is take the prerequesite classes then apply to take the MCAT
Carribean students have no trouble at all (assuming your from sgu, ross, or auc) getting residencies in the US. You should definitely research the topic more.

http://sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/Home/2005ResidencyAppointmentListBySpecialty.htm

If you arent farmiliar with the carribean schools, they are schools setup primarialy for US students. You spend your first 2 years (basic science) on the island and you spend the next 2 years rotating in American hospitals.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
douny said:
I know, thanks for the reply though. The reason I am why I am looking for something short is both considering current responsibilities and my age....
If you do a post bacc in the US the minumum amount of time (assuming you get in the first time you apply) will be 2 years from the time you start the post bacc till the time you start med school. The shortest (full time) post bacs are 1 year in length and then you ll have 1 year of applying and interviewing. (UNLESS if you have completed atleast 3 or 4 of the prereqs and can take the mcat this august; then you might be able to apply this year).

Most post baccs are 1.5 to 2 years in length.

If you have any more questions you can PM, maybe I can help you since I researched post bacc programs quite a bit these past few months.

About the Ads