CUSM MBS vs CNU COM MPS to MD pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpremed9867

Reaction score
Hello I recently got into these two programs, would anyone recommend one over the other? I like CUSM’s MBS program but can any alumni give me advice if the conditional acceptance pathway is worth a try? Both of these programs are around the same price. I graduated with a cgpa 3.85 and a 3.8 science gpa and considering these programs to get a shot at medical school. Would you recommend this if you were in my situation? I really don’t need to raise my grades, but I have been away from school for 6 years so I’d think these SMPs would help my medical school application. Someone recommended to just try and kill the MCAT and work as a scribe instead for the following year while possibly taking science classes at a community college. Would the masters degree be worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

CNU is on endless probation, so avoid it. CUSM is a new low-tier school. With a 3.8 GPA I’m not sure why you’d pay money to pigeonhole yourself into going there. Let people with 3.0’s do that.

You just need to develop a study plan and take the MCAT. If you’re lost then sign up for a review course.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hello I recently got into these two programs, would anyone recommend one over the other? I like CUSM’s MBS program but can any alumni give me advice if the conditional acceptance pathway is worth a try? Both of these programs are around the same price. I graduated with a cgpa 3.85 and a 3.8 science gpa and considering these programs to get a shot at medical school. Would you recommend this if you were in my situation? I really don’t need to raise my grades, but I have been away from school for 6 years so I’d think these SMPs would help my medical school application. Someone recommended to just try and kill the MCAT and work as a scribe instead for the following year while possibly taking science classes at a community college. Would the masters degree be worth it?
Yes, with those GPA's you gain no benefit (and actually stand to lose a bit if you underperform). Focus on the MCAT, scribe/do whatever other clinical or non-clinical work you can, shadow, and you'll be on your way to success.

Members don't see this ad :)
CNU is on endless probation, so avoid it. CUSM is a new low-tier school. With a 3.8 GPA I’m not sure why you’d pay money to pigeonhole yourself into going there. Let people with 3.0’s do that.

You just need to develop a study plan and take the MCAT. If you’re lost then sign up for a review course.
Thank you for your help!!

Yes, with those GPA's you gain no benefit (and actually stand to lose a bit if you underperform). Focus on the MCAT, scribe/do whatever other clinical or non-clinical work you can, shadow, and you'll be on your way to success.
Thank you!!

I graduated with a cgpa 3.85 and a 3.8 science gpa and considering these programs to get a shot at medical school. Would you recommend this if you were in my situation?
Agreeing with the above. You don't need a Master's. You need to get consistent experience in clinic and in community service while killing the MCAT. Meet with schools that you are targetting about their receptiveness to nontrads like yourself. Only take courses if the admissions officers tell you (due to any "expiration date" rule on courses, for example).

Reactions: 1 user