NP's in ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bull's eye

The Gunslinger
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First let me apologize for the question, for I'm sure you get a lot of these, and they get pretty annoying. Can NP's go into Ortho, see pts, first assist the surgeon, and round? I am going into ortho and my best friend has decided to go to nursing school. If possible, we would like to work together on this level, but we are not sure if it is possible. I have heard of (and seen) PA's do this, so can NP's?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely.

You realize, of course, that your question will set off yet another spate of posts about the inferiority of NP's, don't you? ;)

That was certainly not my intention, and since I have my answer, if it runs amuck like that then I will delete the post. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heavens, don't apologize. It was a valid question.

That was just my rather clumsy way of giving you a head's up that your thread could take a rather nasty turn.

I think it's great that your want to have an NP for a partner, BTW.

Since you are going to be the Doc, you can probably hire whoever you think is most qualified. I know of NPs that first assist, certainly they can see patients and do rounds as long as the hospital is ok with that. The only problem I see is the possibility that the friendship might get in the way.

They completly can.
In fact, you don't have to be an NP to be a first assist and to handle intakes and work in an office and practice together. Just an RN w/certification.

To do rounding, and handle a caseload, NP may be the way to go. Depends on how much "autonomy" your buddy wants.

There is a lot of flexibility with what you guys could do together.