NPs not liking PAs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spursss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend just started PA school. She is very excited and I thought that it was a great opportunity and a wonderful education. However, I am getting my Masters in clinical research and have been around a number of NPs and physicians, and they all tend to look down upon PAs. I guess my question is, WHY???? I do not understand. It gets to a point where if a NP gets called a PA they are offended. I was wondering if anyone has ever run across this. Maybe this is just a stereotype that exist in the cancer clinic that I work at. If anyone could offer me any advice I would like to know. It almost seems as they view the PA education as inferior. I would think that the PA education would be better then the NP education. Anyway, any knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sweat it.
Any good MD/DO takes an NP or PA on their capabilities. There are strengths and weaknesses to NP or PA education, but they have very similar scopes of practice.
If someone is talking trash about PA's and their education you do not want to work for them or with them because they judge based on prestige not the individual.

I'd have to agree with DogFace. While there is some tension in-between all three of the groups, the truth of the matter is that it really depends on the individual practicioner.

I'm about to graduate from PA school in a few short weeks and have had some wonderful preceptors who happened to be NP's and had no problem teaching a PA student. On the other hand I have been precepted by some PA's that I would be scared to leave in charge of a runny nose.

-Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters. The animosity between health care professions is not the norm in practice. We pretty much all work together and get along. People like that will not only judge you by your profession, but anything else they feel is important to them - not your skills and abilities.

The Peds PA there had been practicing much longer. Maybe it was insecurity? He also had a bad habit of over-booking, leaving early, and dumping patients on the other providers (All, not just the mid levels). I'd have to agree, and say that such behavior is an issue of individual character (Or lack thereof...).

Chronic Student said:
I'd have to agree with DogFace. While there is some tension in-between all three of the groups, the truth of the matter is that it really depends on the individual practicioner.

I'm about to graduate from PA school in a few short weeks and have had some wonderful preceptors who happened to be NP's and had no problem teaching a PA student. On the other hand I have been precepted by some PA's that I would be scared to leave in charge of a runny nose.

-Mike

Just to be on record that although you have a great avatar, I only bear a marginal resemblance.

I agree, it depends on the practitioner. I am in grad school for my NP, I am married to an MD, and I go to a PA!!!

I'll add my agreement to the above. I get to observe MD's, PA's, and the occasional NP, and at least in the academic ED where I work, all that matters is how good the individual is. Everyone treats everyone with respect. If a person is good with patients and knows their stuff, they're listened to. If a person is an incompetent bonehead, no one cares what their degree is in. That's about it.