NPTE and Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPT19

Reaction score
Is it a requirement to apply for a state license before taking the NPTE? And is it required to apply for the state that I register for the NPTE with?

I registered for the exam with in VA, however, I do not plan on working there. I've been told that I can send scores to different states after the exam. I just would like to avoid paying the fees for applying for a license if possible, or at least waiting until I am certain which state I'll be working in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes! It is required that you apply for the NPTE through a state. I graduated earlier than I was eligible to take the exam, so I took it in a different state because my home state did not allow taking it before graduation. If you want to work in a different state, I suggest you register through the state you want to be in. It is a lot of money to get a license + alot of paper work. If your home state is VA and you're not very certain where you'll be, just register through VA.

Let me know if you have any questions! Hope this helped!

Yes! It is required that you apply for the NPTE through a state. I graduated earlier than I was eligible to take the exam, so I took it in a different state because my home state did not allow taking it before graduation. If you want to work in a different state, I suggest you register through the state you want to be in. It is a lot of money to get a license + alot of paper work. If your home state is VA and you're not very certain where you'll be, just register through VA.

Let me know if you have any questions! Hope this helped!
Thank you for your help!! Just to clarify, I know I have to register for the NPTE through a state, but is it required to actually apply for a license in that state that I initially registered for? Or can I just transfer my scores somewhere else and apply to different states?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your help!! Just to clarify, I know I have to register for the NPTE through a state, but is it required to actually apply for a license in that state that I initially registered for? Or can I just transfer my scores somewhere else and apply to different states?

Yes, you have to actually apply for the license in the state you are taking it for. Once you pass the NPTE, you will be licensed within that state you registered through. Once you have your license you can apply for another one and just let that initial license expire if you don't plan on using it. For example, I registered to take the NPTE through Idaho because they allow you to take the NPTE before graduation, whereas my home state allowed you to only take it 2x a year (in which I would have needed to wait 5 months after graduating to take it).

Once I passed, I got my license to work in Idaho, even though I would never work there. I then started applying to my home state and had to pay fsbpt to transfer my NPTE scores. It's more money in the long run but it worked for me.

Yes, you have to actually apply for the license in the state you are taking it for. Once you pass the NPTE, you will be licensed within that state you registered through. Once you have your license you can apply for another one and just let that initial license expire if you don't plan on using it. For example, I registered to take the NPTE through Idaho because they allow you to take the NPTE before graduation, whereas my home state allowed you to only take it 2x a year (in which I would have needed to wait 5 months after graduating to take it).

Once I passed, I got my license to work in Idaho, even though I would never work there. I then started applying to my home state and had to pay fsbpt to transfer my NPTE scores. It's more money in the long run but it worked for me.
Thank you for your help!!