NPTE Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTHopeful921

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just curious about the NPTE and taking it during the last couple of months during my clinical. I'm going to try and word this with as little confusion as possible: can I sit for the NPTE and license in a state that I'm not going to practice in (i.e. Utah) so I can take the NPTE early, and then if I pass, just transfer my license to the state that I will practice in? the caveat to this is, if I don't pass would I be able to re-take the NPTE relatively soon again, but sit for it in another state without having to wait a certain amount of time before retaking the NPTE? I just didnt know if there's a certain amount of time you have to wait if you are going to retake the NPTE for the same state, or if you have a wait to retake the NPTE regardless of what state you are applying for your license. Sorry if that didn't make sense, but it made sense in my head...

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can sit for the NPTE in any state you'd like. You could definitely sit for it in Utah and then transfer your license to the state in which you'll practice. If you don't pass, you could reapply to take it -again, in whichever state you'd like- for the next available date (no extra months of waiting required regardless of the state for which you are applying). Does that make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can apply through any state and sit in any state you wish. Then you'll just have to reapply for your license in the state you'll be working in. Due to fixed date testing, you will only be able to take it on the next specified date.

ChangeinCareer, Utah (and a few others) allow you to test before graduation. Although, rumors down the grape vine tell me that Utah will not be allowing it for much longer.

Interesting, I know one of the schools I applied to has a later graduation date which caused some issues with taking the exam. I'm guessing New York (where the school is located) is not one of the states where you can take the exam before officially graduating.