NREMT - National Registry for EMTs

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've completed 1 year as a premed student, I've taken some time out to see if I want to pursue pre-hospital medicine and make a career out of it instead of medical school. I'm studying for the NREMT and I am sure some other people here have studied for it. I have studied so hard, but I'm really stressing out about it. I keep learning new things from great sites like the EMT Pocket Prep App, and a website called EMT Prep (well known and a great resource) I keep doing alright on their practice tests. But, I keep learning so many new things. How long do I study, I haven't scheduled it yet because of how nervous I have been. Any recommendations, this test is a really important step for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I've completed 1 year as a premed student, I've taken some time out to see if I want to pursue pre-hospital medicine and make a career out of it instead of medical school. I'm studying for the NREMT and I am sure some other people here have studied for it. I have studied so hard, but I'm really stressing out about it. I keep learning new things from great sites like the EMT Pocket Prep App, and a website called EMT Prep (well known and a great resource) I keep doing alright on their practice tests. But, I keep learning so many new things. How long do I study, I haven't scheduled it yet because of how nervous I have been. Any recommendations, this test is a really important step for me?

Hey! Congrats on finishing the EMT program. It is a tough course to get through. I took my NREMT a month after finishing the course. I ended up studying for a few weeks for the NREMT and passed by using some flashcards I found on Amazon. I would say don't stress too much. Just remember your ABC's and the order of your assessments. Some questions have answers that are all correct, but there is one that is the most correct. Just go with your gut feeling and you will do fine. Mine was heavy on trauma and pregnancy related complications, a combo of both at times like a pregnant female that was involved in a head on TC. Again, stick to your ABC's, the order of your assessments, and think logically. If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! Congrats on finishing the EMT program. It is a tough course to get through. I took my NREMT a month after finishing the course. I ended up studying for a few weeks for the NREMT and passed by using some flashcards I found on Amazon. I would say don't stress too much. Just remember your ABC's and the order of your assessments. Some questions have answers that are all correct, but there is one that is the most correct. Just go with your gut feeling and you will do fine. Mine was heavy on trauma and pregnancy related complications, a combo of both at times like a pregnant female that was involved in a head on TC. Again, stick to your ABC's, the order of your assessments, and think logically. If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM.
Thank you for your response, I might take you up on that offer. Are you on SDN frequently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response, I might take you up on that offer. Are you on SDN frequently?

No worries! I am on here very frequently, multiple times a day (just interviewed for medical school), so feel free to ask me anything.

I barely studied for it at all and got the min. number of questions. It was very easy, if you've studied for weeks you have nothing to worry about.

I know this is very uncommon but the pre-employment test I took at my job I found more challenging than the NREMT. I work for a company that is fairly strict on EMT's though because we work ALS trucks with medics. Most people say their pre-employment was is easier than the NREMT from what I've heard.

Remember your ABC's, remember the anatomy linked to presenting complaint(s). There are a couple of free apps on Android (prob on Apple too) that give Trauma/Medical scenarios, along with detailed explanations after you answer the questions; I'd recommend those over Quizlet. If you've already passed the certification course, you should be at the point to where you aren't learning new things.

Anecdotally, if you feel like you failed after taking your state test, you probably passed.

Thank you everyone a lot for your help. I'm gonna schedule it, :)

After my 6 week long EMT-B class, i had to wait 2 months till i could take the NREMT. Since I was told three days in advance, my only option was to go to the nearest bookstore and getting the EMT for Dummies book. I have to say it worked like a charm and passed with 70 question cutoff and finished the test in like 15 minutes.

When you are reading the questions, make sure everything abides by the medical/trauma assessments. The NREMT is so much easier compared to final exams of freshman level premed classes.

I'm in my third week of my semester-long EMT class and applying to medic school for my first year of pre-med.

Let me know how it goes for you! I'm naturally a bit nervous for the NREMT too, but I've heard it isn't too hard at all. I'm sure you'll do wonderfully.