NRI Entrance Exam?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aussie indian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I have read/heard about, it seems that in most states, private medical colleges in India do not require prospective students under the NRI/Management quota to sit an entrance examination.

The only real pre-requisite of such students were that they had succesfully completed/received a minimum of 50% in Physics, Chemistry and Biology at a HSC/10+2 level.

However I was looking at admissions in the state of Kerala, and came across this under NRI admissions...

"Admission will be made on the basis of merit arrived at with reference to the marks secured by the candidate in the qualifying examination"

"Selection Procedure: Their merit will be decided on the basis of the marks obtained in the qualifying examinations and by a personal
interview."

That was an example of a couple colleges, but I had a look around, and infact ALL of the colleges there require you to sit a 'qualifying examination'.

..Is Kerala an exception to the rule??

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like NRI's will be placed on par with locals/indian citizens, making them eligible to sit the CEE and also obtain a state rank.

However I'm confused...does this mean that the test is solely available for students who would want to also compete for Govt. Colleges, or is it used as the means of ranking NRI applicants in all schools (including the private colleges)? :confused:

Would really appreciate your opinions on this guys! :)

Im from the US and Im also applying as an NRI student for MBBS

As far as I know the private colleges/universities don't require that you take CET/COMED-K in Karnataka, whereas for government colleges they require you to take the CET (Common Entrance Test).

Members don't see this ad :)
Students who are Indian nationals, aged 17 years on or before 1st July and passed Higher Secondary Examination (+2) under 10+2+3 pattern with 50% marks in English and 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology taken together are eligible to appear in the Entrance Examination and try their merit.

A 50% discount offer on your favorite channels. Book your channels now. Hurry! offer valid till 10 Jan 2010.
http://bit.ly/9296lp

Hey siddharthp, thanks for your reply! Um however I was wondering whether you knew more about the test itself, and whether it applies to NRI's for the admissions procedure or solely meant for local students? Or is the qualifying exam seperate to the CEE/CET that they take?

Hi Aussie Indian,
Most of the Government Medical Colleges offer admissions only to Indian students on the basis of their performance in a competitive entrance test, However, few Government Medical Colleges have some quota for NRI/Foreign students. The NRI/Foreign students who looking for admission can contact the leading educational consultants in India http://www.educationindiainfo.com/educational-consultants.php

PS: Beware of some private & fake universities providing fake seats for huge amount of money

A 50% discount offer on your favorite channels. Book your channels now. Hurry! offer valid till 10 Jan 2010.
http://bit.ly/9296lp

meghalicious - Hi there! Cool, what universities/colleges are you looking at?
Yeah its just the wording in their policies, esp regarding the "qualifying exam". People seem to have different opinions on that too, which makes it all the more confusing..some mention there being an actual test/or sitting the common exam and then being placed in direct comparison with other NRI/Management students, whilst on the other hand some people claim that the "qualifying exam" is just equivalent to your final marks in high school (10+2) :confused:

siddharthp - I wasn't aware that there were Govt. Schools that also offered seats for NRI's? I tried the link you had given me, but it doesn't seem to work? Also, as you and many others on SDN have advised, im wary of going through 'agents'. Could you please mention some of these Govt. schools offering a NRI quota?

Thanks guys! :)

Hey guys, just came across this, regarding 'nri eligibility'. It wasn't directed at Mbbs as such (I think it was for engineering?), but Im guessing that its a general requirement/method used by the institutions here for NRI's applying to courses?

"..have passed the qualifying examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics from an Institution situated outside India, which is considered equivalent to (10+2) examination by the Association of Indian Universities"

Can anyone confirm this? :)

Aussie Indian, I'm studying in Bangalore, so don't have any information on Kerala. In regards to Karnataka, though, you won't have to take any entrance exams. You will however, need to have a transcript showing your high school subjects, proving you have passed physics, chemistry, mathematics, and I believe biology.

I don't believe government colleges have an NRI quota, I know that in Bangalore they most certainly do not.

You are right in your decision to avoid going through agents. Approach or call colleges directly that you are interested in, and they can give you a better idea of how to go about admissions. :) Good luck!

Hey PimpinPuji, thanks for the reply! :)

Haha, seems like everyones studying in Bangalore, and from the sounds of it definitely seems like one of the best options for nris! Unfortunately, looks like Bangalore isn't an option for me atm, however I've been looking at some other schools in Karnataka, esp Manipal.

Though I've been mainly looking at schools within Kerala, but I seem to come across alot of info which at times seems to be conflicting, like the entrance exams.. Actually the other day, I even came across a couple of schools that had put up admission/rank lists for NRI's apparently based on 'selection criteria' (which happend to include the entrance exam).

Btw any suggestions as to how I should go about approaching colleges i'm interested in? Esp in regards to who I should be speaking to and when you think is an appropriate time to start? Is there any other information they'd require apart from the HS/Uni transcript?

Thanks for the help! :D

i'm planning on applying to an indian med school as well..in kerala!

from what i've heard: for NRIs - they obviously cannot sit an entrance exam in india when they are residing overseas (e.g. i'll be finishing my BSc (Biomedical Science) during next year's entrance exams so i can't go to india then). so they are usually EXEMPT from the CET.

when they say the "qualifying exam" they mean: year 12, or cbse, or whatever you got to finish school.
the main thing is to GET an EQUIVALENCE certificate asap.
you can rule govt colleges OUT as they prob dont have any NRI seats.
pvt colleges do - but select a good one! yes, their fees are extremely high relative to those normally paid, but its the only way in.
there are management seats within pvt colleges which ask for alot too, but not as much as NRI seats. they require a mgmt entrance test, which isbasically indian year 11 and 12.
hope this helps!
btw, which colleges in kerala are you looking into? and have you thought about vellore christian medical college?

your money is your entrance exam.. big mistake to be an NRI in india, the indian students who earned their seat have a much better chance at good residency than the nri's who just pay for one