NRI going to india for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shehak20000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am an american, but my parents are from india.

My family is contemplating moving back to india...permanently.

I am in the middle of my second year of my undergraduate studies. I want to be a doctor. I did well in high school....relatively well 1340, 3.5 GPA , and it was a very competitive high school. In college I haven't faired so well....my gpa is approximately a 2.9. It will probably be a 3.1-3.2 by the end of this semester (dec 15).

So I guess here's my question. Do I have a shot of getting admission into a medical school in india? What is the "procedure" for applying? With my low gpa, will it be an issue? Do they take into account my high school record? Basically, how do I get admission into a medical school iln india? Is it a payment option...? I guess what i'm trying to say is my low GPA going to prevent me from getting into medical school in india, and if soo what do I do? I am willing to move back to india, and since I doon't intend on coming back kaplan scores and usmle scores aren't an issue.

Any information anyone can provide would be most helpful. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Two types of medical colleges graduate students: one is run by the different state governments; and there are a few private medical schools.

To get into the former you need to take their entrance exams and students are accepted based on the test results alone or in some cases entrance test results+(physics, chemistry, and biology marks from the 12th standard final exams). Indian citizenship is also a requirement as far as I know. Tuition is extremely cheap because it is heavily subsidized by the government.

Private schools are run for profit. Most, not all, private schools take students based on how much they are willing to pay. (Some do take students based on marks, but the fee structure is not pocket friendly.) Most of them are filled up with kids that did not make it to the state schools. Or they are filled up with NRI (Non Resident Indian) students who choose to come to India to get their medical degree for a variety of reasons.

Hope it helps.

I am in the middle of my second year of my undergraduate studies. I want to be a doctor. I did well in high school....relatively well 1340, 3.5 GPA , and it was a very competitive high school. In college I haven't faired so well....my gpa is approximately a 2.9. It will probably be a 3.1-3.2 by the end of this semester (dec 15).

So I guess here's my question. Do I have a shot of getting admission into a medical school in india? What is the "procedure" for applying? With my low gpa, will it be an issue? Do they take into account my high school record? Basically, how do I get admission into a medical school iln india? Is it a payment option...? I guess what i'm trying to say is my low GPA going to prevent me from getting into medical school in india, and if soo what do I do? I am willing to move back to india, and since I doon't intend on coming back kaplan scores and usmle scores aren't an issue.

a good medical school in india you may want to consider is AIIMS, try looking them up for the information; why don't you like it here? let your parents go back and you stay here?

Members don't see this ad :)

Dude relax! u r not going to UK or Australia. You are going to India. Just go to South Indian states like Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh or Tamil nadu and through some money on the admission comitte. They will happily take you. All you need is high school diploma and the attitude to survive in medical college there. they have ragging, professor ass kissing, gangs,etc. India is a corrupt country. Everything sells there. Just throw the right amount of money on the admission comitte they will take u. Even professors act as brokers there. they take money and help you get in. I strongly encourage you to move like by march. During May, admissions start. So all you gotta do is travel to Karnataka or AP. And go to private college. Speak to admissions office, throw some money probably like 20-28 lakh rupees on them and they will happily take you. When you join college, throw some money on your seniors and lower staff like anatomy attendants,etc. they will be your pet dogs. Chill out dude you will be fine. Dont even worry about anything.

I dont understand why do you wanna go back there though. If your parents are going , let them go. You can take loans and survive here. Common dude, India is not a place to go back. its not worth it. Everyyear so many MBBS, Engineering students from there stand in lines infront of embassy begging for a US visa. And you are moving back there.:laugh: . he he he he. common dude think about it. What are you gonna there. Drive a Maruti-800 car where as here you must be driving a lexus or Acura.

Admissions to a good medical college would cost around 20-40lakh rupees(45-80,000 $.)
As for quality, well, depends on how much you gain out of it. It's a two way street. If I were in your shoes, I would just junk the India plan, go to east europe(hungary, czech republic, poland, romania, slovakia.. former yugoslavia republics) and they have some pretty amazing medical facilities for cheap. Remember that many of these countries are now in the EU so standards are rising. Even in 2000(when I completed high school) medical colleges there were a good option. Now, it is an even better option. On a scale of 100, India would be 50-80 on teaching and infrastructure(basically nil) while the east european colleges would be 70-100(the closer you go to germany the better it gets.)

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=medical+colleges+europe

I saw a program on Deutsche Welle(german tv) about medical colleges in east europe in 2003 or so. I was pretty impressed with the quality of infrastructure. Nearly similar to what I experienced in the US.
And best of all, the cost is about 10,000 euros a year(not sure if living is included but probably not, evenso, it would not be that costly.)
So for say, 60,000 euros, you would have gotten a good medical college degree rather than pay 60,000 euros just to get into medical college in India. Why it costs so much to get into medical colleges in India, that is probably a topic for another time and needs a much longer reply than I'm willing to post here for now.

Admissions to a good medical college would cost around 20-40lakh rupees(45-80,000 $.)
As for quality, well, depends on how much you gain out of it. It's a two way street. If I were in your shoes, I would just junk the India plan, go to east europe(hungary, czech republic, poland, romania, slovakia.. former yugoslavia republics) and they have some pretty amazing medical facilities for cheap. Remember that many of these countries are now in the EU so standards are rising. Even in 2000(when I completed high school) medical colleges there were a good option. Now, it is an even better option. On a scale of 100, India would be 50-80 on teaching and infrastructure(basically nil) while the east european colleges would be 70-100(the closer you go to germany the better it gets.)

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=medical+colleges+europe

I saw a program on Deutsche Welle(german tv) about medical colleges in east europe in 2003 or so. I was pretty impressed with the quality of infrastructure. Nearly similar to what I experienced in the US.
And best of all, the cost is about 10,000 euros a year(not sure if living is included but probably not, evenso, it would not be that costly.)
So for say, 60,000 euros, you would have gotten a good medical college degree rather than pay 60,000 euros just to get into medical college in India. Why it costs so much to get into medical colleges in India, that is probably a topic for another time and needs a much longer reply than I'm willing to post here for now.

:thumbup: excellent advice

My sister had a 2.0 GPA and left her undergrad here in the US to go to med school in amritsar. My uncle works there so there were no problems. As long as you're willing to shell out the cash you'll get in.

As for AIIMS, are you kidding me? My dad went there, isn't it pretty much impossible to get into? It's one of the best med schools in the world.

hi! I am an american, but my parents are from india.

I am in the middle of my second year of my undergraduate studies. I want to be a doctor. I did well in high school....relatively well 1340, 3.5 gpa , and it was a very competitive high school. In college i haven't faired so well....my gpa is approximately a 2.9. It will probably be a 3.1-3.2 by the end of this semester (dec 15).

So i guess here's my question. Do i have a shot of getting admission into a medical school in india? What is the "procedure" for applying? With my low gpa, will it be an issue? Do they take into account my high school record? Basically, how do i get admission into a medical school iln india? Is it a payment option...? I guess what i'm trying to say is my low gpa going to prevent me from getting into medical school in india, and if soo what do i do? I am willing to move back to india, and since i doon't intend on coming back kaplan scores and usmle scores aren't an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would cost around RS 3000000 to gain admission to a reputed medical schoool in Bombay and it would cost around 30000 Rs a month to live comfortably in Mumbai which is very americanised . However, The basic indian tradition of hospitality and caring is everywhere and though you are diffrent you will be made to feel very welcome. I am a practising Clinician In Mumbai. I have a son who is a medical student in DY Patil Med School in Mumbai and he went to school in the US too. He is very comfortableand happy . He has friends who are American and they are very comfortable too!

It would cost around RS 3000000 to gain admission to a reputed medical schoool in Bombay and it would cost around 30000 Rs a month to live comfortably in Mumbai which is very americanised . However, The basic indian tradition of hospitality and caring is everywhere and though you are diffrent you will be made to feel very welcome. I am a practising Clinician In Mumbai. I have a son who is a medical student in DY Patil Med School in Mumbai and he went to school in the US too. He is very comfortableand happy . He has friends who are American and they are very comfortable too!

Hi,
Where can I find university for 30 lakhs? ru talking NRI quota or regular? cuz majority of univ r telling me 60 lakhs!!! any help would be appreciated !!! Please mention few names..

Hi Canbrat,

Why not ? If you come down towards South India. Cost will also come down to 30 lakhs!
There are good colleges at Chennai.

-vinu

Hi Canbrat,

Why not ? If you come down towards South India. Cost will also come down to 30 lakhs!
There are good colleges at Chennai.

-vinu

Hey

I will be greatful to u if u can mention any nri university under and around 30. I am serious , my relatives are in Chennai. SRMC costs 50 lakhs and its upfront ( can't afford it upfront), SRM , Annamalai they want me come person, Meenakshi must write entrance. Any other university in Chennai is not recognized in US/Canada . if u know prices of one of these university plz let me know.. I will be greatful..

-thx
canbrat

I went to go visit med schools in the karnataka like manipal, ms ramiah, st. johns etc. They all cost around $130,000 (american) but i also went to mysore to visit JSS Medical College which costs only around $65,000 (american). you should check it out! It is a very good college and the kids are very friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey skifreak322, how does the education differ in inida? Is it a lot tougher? How are the teachers? Do they actually teach, cuz i heard they don't?

college bhanva jati nathi ne java deti nathi maa mane chokri gamti nathi :( :(

when you get to higher education like Medical college or even undergrad be it in America or India I think the studying part relies more and more on the student... I mean I was mostly a self studyer back in high school... But what im trying to say is as you go farther and farther up in ur education the teachers will stop spoon feeding u information... Like in american universities... You will have lectures with about 300 students in a class or something and no real chance to ask the lecturer questions... basically you study on ur own time and the lecture is just a primer for that... It's more so in India for a lot of reasons... A u won't understand the lecturers accent so you will get stuck on a word somewhere in the lecture and by the time you figure it out the lecturer will have gone ahead and you will not know what he is talking about... furthermore the teachers here are not trained... they are very skilled in the fields they teach but they are not skilled as teachers.... but hey they try their best and if you do show an interest you will be able to go to them for help.... Or better yet you can ask other students for help be it ur class mates or upper classmen... if anything reaching out to other students will reduce ur image as a snob or an NRI so its good in that way... both with teachers and fellow students....
Now coming to the self studying part.... The teachers here aren't that great... and mostly you will not pay attention in class but simply come there to get attendance... its what i do... But there is a plus side... You have books here that dumb the concepts down that you dont really need a teacher.... ur indian author books lay out what you need to know for the exam pretty clearly and you have your foreign author books to actually understand the subject matter in depth... a combined use of these two will give you a pretty good understanding... Now to save time I photo copy my textbook and take it to class... I sit somewhere in the back of the class which is of about 50 students and just read from that... saves time and helps me study so yeah..... But i mean at this level even your classes back in america will rely heavily on self study...
Labs here are pretty ok... I mean dissection ( anatomy) will have a lot more students than america... It will be like 14 or some people per body whereas back home its i think 2... but hey if you show an interest you can learn and the teachers will come and teach you on the body and if you ask questions they will teach you... they are pretty helpful imo... but they do expect you to do your part and show a little work on ur own.... which is understandable...

btw admission fees for management seats these days are closer to 50 to 60 lakhs here in Karnataka and surrounding... they were 30 when I joined back in 2003... If anybody needs help with admission to Kempegowda Institute of Medical sciences( KIMS) or Ramaiah in Bangalore let me know... I have some hook ups in the admissions office so maybe I can get you a good deal...

Hey skifreak322, how does the education differ in inida? Is it a lot tougher? How are the teachers? Do they actually teach, cuz i heard they don't?

Teachers do teach, however, like the U.S. - you always have good/bad teachers (good meaning the ones that want to teach, and bad being the ones that are just trying to make a living). It also depends what school you're going to. We actually have guest lecturers flown in from the US (yes, white people) which is the benefit of having a non-profit med school started by NRI doctors. I have had professors whom I would consider better than any professors I have encountered in my education in the US. The older professors still use chalkboard and don't ever read any notes or power points, something I have yet to see a professor in the US do till this date. I sometimes follow along in the book and they are flawless, its impressive and inspiring.

It is hard for me to say if its actually harder, I'd like to say its different. If you don't know the local language (not necessarily Hindi) you will definitely have a hard time taking history/communicating. The profs are usually strict, but the students are less mature, therefore I feel it is necessary. This is because the average age of entrance to med school in India is 18-19 as opposed to 23-24 or so in the US.

The major problem is that over in India, it is still essay based exams, in many places including AP...so it really comes down to you memorizing books as opposed to a good professor highlighting the important points which may be targeted for a multiple choice exam. We focus on the important topics because they carry more weight on our Indian exams, however, the USMLE covers everything and is equally weighted. Secondly, I feel the USMLE results regarding FMG aren't really taking into account a major factor; which is that there are plenty of students in India who literally memorize the books without understanding the meaning, because English is not the first language. When they need to understand something and explain it - they tend to take a second, recollect, and translate it and or spit the information out using the local language. I can see this as a major hindrance during exams such as the USMLE which is also time-based. This is a highly debatable topic, however, I know from experience when I ask some of the other local med students a question, a majority of the time I get the explanation back from them in the local language...(or not at all because they didn't understand my English, so I'd rephrase it in the local language).

Med School Progress: IInd Yr (4th Sem) = < 3 Yrs to Go :cool:

"I sometimes follow along in the book and they are flawless, its impressive and inspiring."

I agree that there are good teachers in India... yes... but I don't think that memorizing and reciting something in front of a class is teaching... In america teachers will try and rephrase what is said in a textbook or present it differently so kids can understand it... Now the problem in India is that teachers here have absolutely no teaching credentials... they are skilled in their field... but teachers they are not... this does not discount the fact that there are good teachers to be found in India by any means but it is a big reason why many of the teachers in India are ineffective....they memorise something from the textbook and says and write the exact same in the classroom... and that is teaching for them... how is that helpfull? the whole point of teaching is to present a concept in a different manner than in the text so if the text is not understood then what is taught in class will help.... now the problems you mentions Indian students having with the USMLE's is stemming from this exact mentality of memorising and spitting back out on exams... well at leat partially... the Indian course work is largely theoretical where the MLE's are clinical.. so that is a problem in itself for us... but the major problem is that Indian teachers memorise the text and spit it out in class exactly the same not bothering to explain or digest... and students are taught to mindlessly memorise the text and reproduce it in exams exactly how it is in the books. and if the student actually does digest the material and present it in his own words... he gets a lesser grade...so basically the teachers potentiate a mentality of mindless copying which severly hinders the learning process.
I have time and again asked my local classmates simple clinical questions that one could easily answer had he understood the concept of the text and they are never able to answer... or very rarely do they. yet when you ask them to talk theory they can recite the whole text backwards, forwards and diagonally too... lol...

well thats just my 2 cents anyways.....

But yeah when you consider Indian doctors in America... i think one of the reasons they do so well is because they have their theory memorised so well from the education in India... and when they come to America for internship or residency they pick up the clinical part of the equation fairly quickly too as their theory is solid...

Hope this doesn't discourage anyone from coming to India... it wasn't meant to... I am going to KIMS in bangalore... final year student... its not bad at all... I'm just saying that teachers here will not be as great as home... and you will have to study yourself... and you will have to go hunting for explanations if you need them... You won't be spoon fed the material like high school.... but again if you do have questions you can ask the teachers directly... and they will be able to explain things to you... on a one on one level... its just in a class room setting most teachers in india dont have a clue how to teach... but if you go to them personally they are usually very helpfull

"I sometimes follow along in the book and they are flawless, its impressive and inspiring."

I agree that there are good teachers in India... yes... but I don't think that memorizing and reciting something in front of a class is teaching... In america teachers will try and rephrase what is said in a textbook or present it differently so kids can understand it... Now the problem in India is that teachers here have absolutely no teaching credentials... they are skilled in their field... but teachers they are not... this does not discount the fact that there are good teachers to be found in India by any means but it is a big reason why many of the teachers in India are ineffective....they memorise something from the textbook and says and write the exact same in the classroom... and that is teaching for them... how is that helpfull? the whole point of teaching is to present a concept in a different manner than in the text so if the text is not understood then what is taught in class will help.... now the problems you mentions Indian students having with the USMLE's is stemming from this exact mentality of memorising and spitting back out on exams... well at leat partially... the Indian course work is largely theoretical where the MLE's are clinical.. so that is a problem in itself for us... but the major problem is that Indian teachers memorise the text and spit it out in class exactly the same not bothering to explain or digest... and students are taught to mindlessly memorise the text and reproduce it in exams exactly how it is in the books. and if the student actually does digest the material and present it in his own words... he gets a lesser grade...so basically the teachers potentiate a mentality of mindless copying which severly hinders the learning process.
I have time and again asked my local classmates simple clinical questions that one could easily answer had he understood the concept of the text and they are never able to answer... or very rarely do they. yet when you ask them to talk theory they can recite the whole text backwards, forwards and diagonally too... lol...

well thats just my 2 cents anyways.....

But yeah when you consider Indian doctors in America... i think one of the reasons they do so well is because they have their theory memorised so well from the education in India... and when they come to America for internship or residency they pick up the clinical part of the equation fairly quickly too as their theory is solid...

Hope this doesn't discourage anyone from coming to India... it wasn't meant to... I am going to KIMS in bangalore... final year student... its not bad at all... I'm just saying that teachers here will not be as great as home... and you will have to study yourself... and you will have to go hunting for explanations if you need them... You won't be spoon fed the material like high school.... but again if you do have questions you can ask the teachers directly... and they will be able to explain things to you... on a one on one level... its just in a class room setting most teachers in india dont have a clue how to teach... but if you go to them personally they are usually very helpfull

I want to come to India to dd medicine. I am looking into colleges in Karnataka. My question is : I am US citizen but do i still have to take the usmles to do my residency and even practice in the US?

USMLE stands for United States Medical Licensing Examination... anyone who wants to practice in america with a valid medical license needs to take these exams, be they american grads or foreign.

it depends on where u want to land up at the end.... america or india??? if its India dat awaits u then go there or otherwise....make the decision wisely.

heyy guys...i am actually in Canada.and i have the same problem well not exactly in my case i want to go there and study. I am from Hyderabad and would like to go to a medical college there. I really need to know some good college or university there.

These are the main things i would like to know:
What is the pre-requisites and with what subject I need to pass out in Grade 12.
Does the college offer hostel facilities, and what are the amenities provided.
What is the fee pattern could you please give me a detailed breakdown.
what the level of the college vis-a-vis International standards.
Is the degree / certificate recognized.
Are there any donations and do you provide receipt.

i would really appreciate it if i got some help.

I am AP and I saw some schools there when I went and they aren't worth it if you want to geet a good education. Som of hem don't even have nri dorms.but karnataka has good schools as weell.

Not sure if anyone is still looking...

But KMCIC has been doing well training mostly US and Candian students to come back to the US. We have guaranteed US Clinicals for our students. All individual and comprehensive Shelfs in preparation for Step 1.

This is commonly referred to as a "US-modeled" program (academics/Basic Sciences outside the US, Clinicals in the US). KMCIC is the only US-modeled medical program in India.

For more info you can

1) www.auamed.org/kmcic

2) Attend an upcoming Information Seminar

3) email me at [email protected]

4) call 866-562-7708 (my direct phone)

Tipton Carlson
Associate Director of Admissions
American University of Antigua College of Medicine
Kasturba Medical College International Center

hi,
i know i am going off topic sorry about that
i always wanted to ask one question
my sis is a green card holder in US, and she is doing medicine in india...she is done and doing her internship...she was wondering what are the next steps if she wants to come back to US...her green card is valid so thats not an issue...but like what exams and stuff she needs to go though before a US school accepts her for residency or something
please help me so i can help her
it would be really helpful
thanks

if she is a green card holder that is great as she wont have issues working in the US as many hospitals refuse or are less inclined to hire foreigners due to H1 visa problems but thats not her problem

regarding what her next step is... well you have a lot of choices to make... no one more right than the next.... See to get a residency in america you need to have good USMLE scores... AND they will usually ask( demand) US clinical experience.... so seeing that her internship was probably done all in India... well thats how I understood it... she should prolly look into getting american clinical experience somewhere... if you dont have connections... then Americlerkship.com is a good place to start looking.. its expensive though... Umm if she wants she can just study for the USMLE's and take a crack at applying for residencies without the american clinical experience... but again in my opinion its is a lot tougher to get residencies that way... Ummm yeah thats my take on it... anyone who has walked the road care to shed some light on it?

I was looking into the MS Ramaiah Medical college in Bangalore but it is too expensive ( $115,000).
Can anyone tell me of a cheaper school around that area for NRI. (80,000 - 100,000).

I am also looking into B.J. Medical college in Pune. They accept NRI but I dont know what the fee there is..??

we are official representatives of over 40 Medical colleges in Andhra,Karnataka,Tamilnadu,Pondicherry and Maharastra, india for the MBBS and MS studies.If you need help in admissions or details of the fees structure please mention the colleges and i can get you ASAP,as it varies for NRI's.We have a proven track record and we can confirm the admissions immediately if you fulfill the eligibility criteria.Please mail us your contact info and other details and we will guide you with the best and cheapest option.Mail us at [email protected] or feel free to call me at 9640114050.

A word of advice... again its on my thread... but be weary of agents telling you they can get you a seat for x amount of money... You should do all of your admissions work yourself and not through any sort of middle man... getting info on different colleges and prices is fine but ultimately the college has an admissions dept for a reason... contact them and they will tell you the price directly....

Sri Ramachandra University in chennai
Annamalai University
Christian Medical College-vellore
St. John's Medical College-Bangalore, L you can try NRI Seats in these colleges

Hello, I am a graduate of schools here in California, US. I have been reading some of the messages posted by students in medical schools in India regarding this thing called "ragging." First of all, this is very kindergarten and it is appalling. Children in elementary school tend to do this type of thing, it's called teasing. However, because they are children, nobody really gets seriously hurt. Even in college, this is not some sort of mass occurrence. I have never seen it at UC Berkeley. I would say 99% of US students are mature, have common decency, and I must say are more humanitarian, respectful and intelligent than these Indian counterparts. It does take some amount of intelligence to treat all people with respect. I don't know where Indian college students get the idea that this is fun or acceptable, or maybe they are trying (but not succeeding) to be like American college students. Indian college students have probably been watching too much American TV, and try as they may to be like what they see. This also probably stems from jealousy, that Indian college students aren't as academically prepared as students in the US. US students need at least B's, which translates to 80% marks. Maybe their time would be better spent studying rather than playing childish hurtful games. Becoming a physician means nothing whatsoever, if you don't have common courtesy or respect for all. In fact, these people don't belong in medical school.

Hello, I am a graduate of schools here in California, US. I have been reading some of the messages posted by students in medical schools in India regarding this thing called "ragging." First of all, this is very kindergarten and it is appalling. Children in elementary school tend to do this type of thing, it's called teasing. However, because they are children, nobody really gets seriously hurt. Even in college, this is not some sort of mass occurrence. I have never seen it at UC Berkeley. I would say 99% of US students are mature, have common decency, and I must say are more humanitarian, respectful and intelligent than these Indian counterparts. It does take some amount of intelligence to treat all people with respect. I don't know where Indian college students get the idea that this is fun or acceptable, or maybe they are trying (but not succeeding) to be like American college students. Indian college students have probably been watching too much American TV, and try as they may to be like what they see. This also probably stems from jealousy, that Indian college students aren't as academically prepared as students in the US. US students need at least B's, which translates to 80% marks. Maybe their time would be better spent studying rather than playing childish hurtful games. Becoming a physician means nothing whatsoever, if you don't have common courtesy or respect for all. In fact, these people don't belong in medical school.

Hey well i know this is a very old post, but iam in the same situation now as you were back in 2005. So can you please kindly guide me as to what you did and what you would suggest for me. Iam open to suggestions

Thanks

Hey well i know this is a very old post, but iam in the same situation now as you were back in 2005. So can you please kindly guide me as to what you did and what you would suggest for me. Iam open to suggestions

Thanks

Hello everyone
I am also aware that this is an old post, I am a Canadian/Sudanese citizen. I received my high school diploma from Sudan. I know alot of people who graduated from Sudanese high schools and got admission in India. But i have some questions about medicine in India

1. What is the cost of studying?
2. Whats the duration of studying?
3. What are the best colleges recognized in North America?
4. What is the quality of education?

Please contact me in:
[email protected]

Any advice will be appreciated...
Thanks

Last edited:
hey, I'm a student studying in UAE and would like to join a university in Bangalore or anywhere in India for BDS ( dentistry). I'm in the British stream and the problem that i am facing is that my results from the CIE board come out in august, whereas I've heard we cannot apply without our grade 12 grades.
so if anyone can suggest anything related to my situation and also mention any good names of universities for NRI's , it would really help. I would mostly prefer Bangalore.

Hi Guys
I'm a medical student who has completed second year at IMU (Malaysia) and got admission in National University of Ireland (NUI) for continuing medicine from 3rd year on, but unfortunately I've missed out two years due to the medical condition I had. As the rules and regulations of the schools, whoever misses two years of studies, is unable to continue. For this reason and as fully recovered person, is there a way of getting admission in 3rd or other of Medical schools from Indian esp. Singapore Recognized one as I'm from Singapore? I really don't want to give up of my ambition. Your help will be highly appreciated. Thanks :)

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering the same thing. I am actually a NRI and I was actually thinking about going to India for my MBBS and then coming back here and doing my residency. Do you think I have a chance. I am freshman in college right now and I have a 2.8 gpa at the moment. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks

Hey guys,

I am currently a 12th grade student studying in the US. However, I'd like to settle and work in my home country, India, after my studies. My plan is to go into medicine (specialty undecided at this point). I wanted to stay in the US and earn my MD degree from a medical college but return to India to complete my residency. However, what will this MD degree from the US equal to in India? Will I have to take any exams before my residency? I want to somehow how avoid doing the three extra years for an MS (like MBBS students).

In addition, we all know how expensive it is to study and adjust to a new lifestyle (especially for NRIs going into medicine in India)! I want to find out which medical colleges in southern India accept NRIs (since I'm somewhat familiar with the languages) and require the lowest expenses (though I have a feeling they're all ridiculously expensive...). I am a fairly good student but I like to know my options :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi guys,
I'm aware that this is an old post, but I was hoping anyone who has gone down the medical route right after high school in the US (or down the Med route in general) would be willing to give advice on going to India for med school.
I'm currently a 12th grade student in the US and plan on attending Med school in India. One of the reasons I decided to go down this route was because I want to skip the 4 years of undergrad I would be required to do in the US. I'm aware that going to India for Med school is not easy and requires a lot of work but with that said I am willing to put in the effort. I wanted to know how they teach there, and advice on adjusting to the way there exams are given (since their tests are not multiple choice).

Hi guys,
I'm aware that this is an old post, but I was hoping anyone who has gone down the medical route right after high school in the US (or down the Med route in general) would be willing to give advice on going to India for med school.
I'm currently a 12th grade student in the US and plan on attending Med school in India. One of the reasons I decided to go down this route was because I want to skip the 4 years of undergrad I would be required to do in the US. I'm aware that going to India for Med school is not easy and requires a lot of work but with that said I am willing to put in the effort. I wanted to know how they teach there, and advice on adjusting to the way there exams are given (since their tests are not multiple choice).

You will regret the decision for the rest of your life. Even if you do well in India, you will be a second class physician if you manage to return to the US and you will be passed over for promotion, for residency. The only place where there won't be much discrimination is if you go into private practice.

Indian medical colleges have NRI seats, you can apply for the seat, however you should have to qualify Pre Medical Test from any Indian medical institution. Dr Walia wjho is an MD, MBBS from India is working at Laser Hair Removal Ludhiana will guide you better in this direction. He has done Hair transplant course from USA.

I had a few questions about the MBBS program at MMMC. How many international students (American/Canadian) attend MMMC? How do MMMC students do at USMLE? How many students were able to come back to practice in America?