NRI going to india medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shehak20000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am an american, but my parents are from india.

My family is contemplating moving back to india...permanently.

I am in the middle of my second year of my undergraduate studies. I want to be a doctor. I did well in high school....relatively well 1340, 3.5 GPA , and it was a very competitive high school. In college I haven't faired so well....my gpa is approximately a 2.9. It will probably be a 3.1-3.2 by the end of this semester (dec 15).

So I guess here's my question. Do I have a shot of getting admission into a medical school in india? What is the "procedure" for applying? With my low gpa, will it be an issue? Do they take into account my high school record? Basically, how do I get admission into a medical school iln india? Is it a payment option...? I guess what i'm trying to say is my low GPA going to prevent me from getting into medical school in india, and if soo what do I do? I am willing to move back to india, and since I doon't intend on coming back kaplan scores and usmle scores aren't an issue.

Any information anyone can provide would be most helpful. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, you can certainly get into US med school. Get your grades up, I imagine you screwed up in your freshman year. You'd have plenty time to pull your GPA up. Don't bother with foreign med schools yet. At least give US medical schools a shot.

I am in the middle of my second year of my undergraduate studies. I want to be a doctor. I did well in high school....relatively well 1340, 3.5 GPA , and it was a very competitive high school. In college I haven't faired so well....my gpa is approximately a 2.9. It will probably be a 3.1-3.2 by the end of this semester (dec 15).

So I guess here's my question. Do I have a shot of getting admission into a medical school in india? What is the "procedure" for applying? With my low gpa, will it be an issue? Do they take into account my high school record? Basically, how do I get admission into a medical school iln india? Is it a payment option...? I guess what i'm trying to say is my low GPA going to prevent me from getting into medical school in india, and if soo what do I do? I am willing to move back to india, and since I doon't intend on coming back kaplan scores and usmle scores aren't an issue.

if you can pay for it you will get into medical school in india.

Members don't see this ad :)

Noooooooo!

Whatever you do, do NOT go to India for med school if you want to practice here in the states. You have plenty of time to bring up your stats.

I advise you as a fellow Indian in the states who knows how med schools in India work, as well as the hardships one must go through to practice abroad, case in point my dad. As you are already in the states, you should do everything you can to complete your medical education here.

There is an international forum here for India, there is some useful information there, check it out.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, I'll be glad to help.

Noooooooo!

Whatever you do, do NOT go to India for med school if you want to practice here in the states. You have plenty of time to bring up your stats.

I don't think the OP wants to practice here.

Hi, thanks for all the responses guys!

Jash is right....i'm not looking to practice here. I'm looking to permanently move to india. My question was basically was my sub-par gpa going to prevent that from happenning?

Hi, thanks for all the responses guys!

Jash is right....i'm not looking to practice here. I'm looking to permanently move to india. My question was basically was my sub-par gpa going to prevent that from happenning?

im pretty sure it wont. i can pretty much gaurantee that.

Two types of medical colleges graduate students: one is run by the different state governments; and there are a few private medical schools.

To get into the former you need to take their entrance exams and students are accepted based on the test results alone or in some cases entrance test results+(physics, chemistry, and biology marks from the 12th standard final exams). Indian citizenship is also a requirement as far as I know. Tuition is extremely cheap because it is heavily subsidized by the government.

Private schools are run for profit. Most, not all, private schools take students based on how much they are willing to pay. (Some do take students based on marks, but the fee structure is not pocket friendly.) Most of them are filled up with kids that did not make it to the state schools. Or they are filled up with NRI (Non Resident Indian) students who choose to come to India to get their medical degree for a variety of reasons.

Hope it helps.

i don't think so..
i know people who didn't get into med school here and went to school in india instead

Status
Not open for further replies.